Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acedickson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
ATL
I'm looking for a program to convert avi files to mpeg. The videos are very choppy when tr ying to view on the computer. I want to convert, and then burn them, so I can watch them.

Versiontracker turned up alot of software that can do it, but I'm broke right now. I need a free solution.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
acedickson said:
I'm looking for a program to convert avi files to mpeg. The videos are very choppy when tr ying to view on the computer. I want to convert, and then burn them, so I can watch them.

Versiontracker turned up alot of software that can do it, but I'm broke right now. I need a free solution.

You will be wanting to convert them to mpeg1 if you are playing them on a 300mhz G3 as in you sig. The only free mpeg1 converter i know off is Movie2mpg the software give the link http://www.win.ne.jp/~juan/ but its not working right now. If you want the file on cd you could use toast and burn them as VCD, VCDs are mpg1.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
acedickson said:

I don't get why you want to convert the .avi files. If you install the DivX and 3ivx QuickTime codecs, you can play them in any QuickTime-compatible application as is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.