Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
If FF supported Mac OS X's built in spell check then it would be superior, but because they haven't included this functionality its not.

Iggy :(

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
I use both Safari and Firefox -- it really depends on what I'm doing. I've had Safari crash a LOT (probably the most crashed program next to Word and Mail.app), so whenever I think a website is too much for it or if Safari won't let me submit forms of some kind, I start up Firefox. I should really switch, but Safari is just soo pretty.

Fishes,
narco.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
Nermal said:
I haven't seen any real difference between the tabbed browsing in FF and Safari. What feature are you talking about? :confused:

Safari has a better keyboard combination to switch through tabs that is easier to remember than the one in FF.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
narco said:
I've had Safari crash a LOT (probably the most crashed program next to Word and Mail.app)
Wow, I have only had Mail crash on me once (2004-07-16) since I started using it as my primary e-mail client back in September 2002.

Have you ever thought about trying to find out why it is crashing so much? Because I don't think that that is normal for it.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
I'm guessing most Safari users have never become dependent on any of the extensions in FF. I say that because, as I mentioned in my first post, nobody seems to address that as an issue. That's really the only thing keeping me on FF. FF is a bit bit faster for me, but not significantly.

macman81

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2005
Pueblo, Colorado, USA
Here we go again

It all goes back to personal preference, plain and simple. Firefox 1.0.2, as I've noticed anyways, has significantly improved in startup time and reliability - coming very close to Safari. Firefox is extremely customizable, has countless extensions/themes, but is not as native. Safari is slightly smoother, and may look 'prettier' to some. If only they continued developing Camino!!! Or are they still doing it, just at a snail rate? I haven't heard anything about it for awhile now, but if they could incorporate all the Firefox features into Camino that'd make the *perfect* Mac browser. I think so anyways.

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
RacerX said:
Wow, I have only had Mail crash on me once (2004-07-16) since I started using it as my primary e-mail client back in September 2002.

Have you ever thought about trying to find out why it is crashing so much? Because I don't think that that is normal for it.

Since I've been using Panther (about a week after it was released) Mail has crashed regularly (usually 1 out of 4 times I've used it). It occurs when quit the app and it just hangs...forever, until I force quit the process.

Only until recently (10.3.8) has this problem subsided...until a few days ago when it magically happened again. They've had a few problems with Mail, but its probably specific to certain setups.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
RacerX said:

I haven't had very many Mail crashes either. I don't remember how many, of if there have been any at all. Safari unexpectedly quits on me occasionally. I haven't used Firefox enough to judge its tendencies regarding crashes.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Nermal said:
Unless it's been updated recently, the Mac version of FF is really buggy. For example, start a download, then close the browser window. Now open a new browser window. See the problem? :eek:

I have a copy of Camino on my system which I use for the occasional page that won't open in Safari. It's easy to load it too - just highlight the page address and press Cmd-Shift-U.

Wow, never noticed that. Well, I don't really like FF on the Mac because of its bugginess. I've noticed it has some weird problems with JS, and various other things. The review wasn't that great.
-Chase

minton

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2004
California
Wow, there's like 4 different current threads on Firefox vs. Safari.
wrldwzrd89 said:
Another advantage to Safari (at least for .Mac members) is the bookmark synchronization with .Mac - no other browser on any platform that I know of does this.
As I posted in another thread, Firefox bookmarks synchronizer is much better than the $100 a year Safari solution, especially for people who have to work on a pc at work. And it's free. Using the Bookmarks Synchronizer extension, you point it at your ftp site (I got a free acount at gurble.com) and upload your bookmarks to it. Thereafter, you can have all your Firefox browsers synchronized on different machines, be they linux, windows, or mac.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Fiveos22 said:
Since I've been using Panther (about a week after it was released) Mail has crashed regularly (usually 1 out of 4 times I've used it). It occurs when quit the app and it just hangs...forever, until I force quit the process.
On the pre-Mac OS X versions of Mail (and MailViewer) all optimization was done manually. But now it is done in the background while Mail is running. If it is hanging when you go to quit, there is a very good chance it is in the middle of doing house keeping and needs a little time to finish. If you force quit while it is doing this you run the risk of damaging the mailboxes that are being optimized which could lead to further crashes and instability of Mail.

I had one client who was, well, impatient with Mail. He wanted it done when he was done with it and force quit Mail when it wouldn't quit when he wanted it to. It was quite a mess recovering his mail when his mailboxes stopped being readable by Mail.

I'm not sure this is what is happening here, but it sorta sound similar.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
minton said:

As I posted in another thread, Firefox bookmarks synchronizer is much better than the $100 a year Safari solution, especially for people who have to work on a pc at work. And it's free. Using the Bookmarks Synchronizer extension, you point it at your ftp site (I got a free acount at gurble.com) and upload your bookmarks to it. Thereafter, you can have all your Firefox browsers synchronized on different machines, be they linux, windows, or mac.
It's nice to know that Firefox has this ability, too, by installing one of the numerous extensions available for it. However, I get too much value from my (upgraded) .Mac subscription to switch to Firefox from Safari.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
minton said:

i'm going to write a script/programme that can do this with safari's bookmarks.

i'm not sure if i need "synchronisation" or just the fact i need to share it between macs - i may just have it as a 2 button programme.. one button sends it to the server, the other retrieves it. :rolleyes:

can applescript handle sending stuff to FTP servers? actually scrub that i'd just get it to tell Transmit what to do ;)

minton

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2004
California
bigandy said:
i'm going to write a script/programme that can do this with safari's bookmarks ...

can applescript handle sending stuff to FTP servers? actually scrub that i'd just get it to tell Transmit what to do ;)
You should just use the terminal. Creat a file called .netrc in your home directory containing:
Code:
machine your.ftpserver.com
login your_login
password your_password
Then create a file that contains what you actually want to do. You'll probably need 2 separate files, one for uploading the bookmarks and one for downloading them. The file format looks like:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
ftp your.ftpserver.com <<**
prompt off
cd /private # wherever you want the bookmarks to reside on the server
put /path/to/your/safari_bookmarks # for uploads - for downloads, use 'get'
bye
Make the file execuatable with 'chmod +x name_of_file'. This does a simple overwrite of bookmarks, so I still think the Bookmarks Synchronizer extension on FF is better because if you're not sure if the bookmarks you uploaded are the most current version, you can select "merge" and it will just add the bookmarks that are not already on your home machine without deleting anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.