Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Im trying to make the transit from the print graphic designer i am to digital. Well maybe transit is not the correct word but i wish to learn digital stuff so i can work as a digital graphic designer or execute digital work when acquired. So the question is what do i need to learn and how? Are there video tutorials or seminarsi can have a look at? Any help is appreciated ;-)

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I would suggest you start by learning what a digital designer is before you worry about what software you may need to learn. Once you get the first answer, the second one will be obvious.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I would suggest you start by learning what a digital designer is before you worry about what software you may need to learn. Once you get the first answer, the second one will be obvious.
Τhanks for the comment, you have a point, but how can i know what a "Digital Designer" is?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
On the lookout ive gathered some requirements from companies that are looking for a DigitalDesigner...
-Bachelor's degree in Design or a related discipline (Graphic Design).
-Experience in design-related positions.
-Experience with design software (e.g., Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects, Sketch).
-Ability to create and implement a brand’s design identity across online platforms.
-Understanding of clients' needs, aesthetics and philosophy and ability to create solutions.
-Experience in online campaigning and advertising.
-Ability to translate clients' briefs into a complete and integrated online brand identity.
-Familiarity with popular digital formats and best practices.
-Ability to explain and share the design concept that lead to the design idea.
-Passion for the latest trends in art and technology and the future of online design.

Are these qualities close to what a Digital Designer should be? :)

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
On the lookout ive gathered some requirements from companies that are looking for a DigitalDesigner...
-Bachelor's degree in Design or a related discipline (Graphic Design).
-Experience in design-related positions.
-Experience with design software (e.g., Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects, Sketch).
-Ability to create and implement a brand’s design identity across online platforms.
-Understanding of clients' needs, aesthetics and philosophy and ability to create solutions.
-Experience in online campaigning and advertising.
-Ability to translate clients' briefs into a complete and integrated online brand identity.
-Familiarity with popular digital formats and best practices.
-Ability to explain and share the design concept that lead to the design idea.
-Passion for the latest trends in art and technology and the future of online design.

Are these qualities close to what a Digital Designer should be? :)
Good summary. Notice how software is NOT the primary drivers. They are 1) personal design graphic skills you presumably have with print, and 2) business development skills. Software? Welcome to the Adobe world (that I am trying to leave.) Even if you use competing software, if working for "the man" rather than self employed...you better know Adobe!

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Good summary. Notice how software is NOT the primary drivers. They are 1) personal design graphic skills you presumably have with print, and 2) business development skills. Software? Welcome to the Adobe world (that I am trying to leave.) Even if you use competing software, if working for "the man" rather than self employed...you better know Adobe!
Do you mean that an experienced Print and Creative professional can meet such qualifications?

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Do you mean that an experienced Print and Creative professional can meet such qualifications?
Yes. That is the business development and creative vision supporting and reflecting the public request/wants in the assignment/order is the "Professional" part of creative professional. Without that, you are just creative irrespective of how you express it - pen and ink or digital software.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Yes. That is the business development and creative vision supporting and reflecting the public request/wants in the assignment/order is the "Professional" part of creative professional. Without that, you are just creative irrespective of how you express it - pen and ink or digital software.
Im sorry i dont understand what you mean :( can u clarify it?

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Im sorry i dont understand what you mean :( can u clarify it?
@tizeye is saying that software knowledge is no replacement for business and creative talent.

If you're a print designer now, your understanding of design principles will transfer to the digital medium. Look into the Adobe software mentioned; they nearly have a Monopoly on the industry.

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Ok thanks... just a few more clarifications...
1. What are the "design principles"? All the ways to design correctly?
2. "Online campaigning" how can i learn about this part?
3. "Familiarity with popular digital formats and best practices" Popular digital formats and best practices?
4. "Latest trends in art and technology and the future of online design" what would those trends be?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.