Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
I have a Dual Processor 2.5Ghz G5. Today while cleaning out the vents and fans I had laid the machine on it's side for a brief moment to wipe down the underside upon lifting the machine up from it's side I had noticed a few drops of clear blue like liquid on the table. However upon checking the machine thoroughly both inside and out I cannot find where this liquid might have leaked from.

I am pretty darn certain that this is from the computer. The liquid looked like some form of coolant and had a bitter taste to it (yes I tasted it). Upon smearing the liquid it had a slightly greasy feel to it.

Hmmm.... Has anyone else noticed liquid from their G5? I assume it's safe to lay the G5 on it's side since that is what the Manual says to do when installing RAM and PCI cards.

I have since plugged the machine back in upon realizing that everything was dry or at least what I could see. I am currently running Temperature Monitor and all temps seems to be within normal operating conditions. I am very concerned though and will be calling Apple Care as One drop of liquid is one drop to many. My fear is that liquid coolant might get on the Power Supply or somewhere else.

I am very very nervous right now. Must shut down computer before something bad happens. I remember being paranoid when I bought this machine a year ago thinking about complications with the liquid cooling system and worst case scenarios, However after much assurances from Apple Store Employees and even people on this website I was assured that the liquid cooling system was reliable and maintenance free. And now this!!!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
We have 3 of the dual 2.5s at work. I haven't noticed any leaks yet but I will check more carefully when I get back into the office on Monday morning.

However, we have never laid any of these machines on their sides even when installing RAM. They haven't been moved around a lot at all, really. And when they have they've always remained vertical.

If I had discovered anything similar to what you found, I'd be on the phone to Apple UK within seconds.

tom_s

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2005
Little Endian said:
My fear is that liquid coolant might get on the Power Supply or somewhere else. that it does not belong.

Apple writes the following in the G5 manual:

"In the unlikely event that coolant leaks in or from your computer, disconnect all electrical power to the computer and do not restart it. Contact an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple for information about servicing your computer."

and

"Coolant may be harmful if swallowed". yummy :eek:

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
The coolant is predominantly water (80% or more) with a mixture of corrosion inhibitors, antifreeze, and bacterial growth preventatives.

This from google...

"Nitrile or rubber glove should be worn when handling an LCS module that is leaking or suspected to be leaking. Evidence of leaks would include corrosion around fittings in the LCS coolant system, a light green or red liquid present, or a slick or slimy feel when handling the part. For leaks or spills, wipe up the fluid using rags, paper towels, or other suitable materials. Dispose of all cleaning materials according to local laws and regulations (Refer to laws and regulations pertaining to disposal of Antifreeze). Do not combine used coolant with any other chemical.

Place the failed LCS module (leaking or not) in the packaging that the replacement module came in. Follow the packaging instructions included with the replacement module. Failure to follow the instructions could damage your equipment and void warranty coverage."

The so-called leaking powermacs was way overblown. The story grew from the fact that late in the development cycle, Delphi (the auto manufacturer that makes the LCS unit - note: they went bankrupt a few weeks ago) had problems with leaks and that was the reason the dual 2.5s were delayed. The problems were solved and the machines then shipped.

I've no idea if Delphi still builds these units or if it is all done over in Shenzhen now.

Anyway you could look for the signs described above and then I would still call Applecare anyway.

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
eva01 said:
how stupid can you get to taste an unknown liquid

I am sure he is not going to have any side-effect from taking such a small taste to tell what it is.

I hope all goes well and you get a new PM. GL

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
benwa02 said:
I am sure he is not going to have any side-effect from taking such a small taste to tell what it is.

I hope all goes well and you get a new PM. GL

while a small taste of some poisons kill you......

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I remember the report about a year ago, stating something in regards to the lifespan of the cooling system being pretty short. Does anyone else remember that? I remember it caused quite a bit of buzz around here.

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
nospleen said:
I remember the report about a year ago, stating something in regards to the lifespan of the cooling system being pretty short. Does anyone else remember that? I remember it caused quite a bit of buzz around here.

Ya I do remember hearing something about that I think earlier this year.

fklehman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
Newark, DE
I used to say that one of the scariest feelings in the world is watching the water in your toilet rise up and begin to overflow. I'm adding finding your $3000 computer leaking its coolant to that list. Of course, I never had to taste the toilet water to see what it was...

fklehman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
Newark, DE
Well antifreeze is supposed to taste really good even though it is poison...that's why animals often drink it and die. Did the coolant taste good? If that guy isn't posting, does that mean he died? Can have his dual 2.5? :D

RobHague

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
eva01 said:
how stupid can you get to taste an unknown liquid

How else will you find out what it is? ;)

fklehman said:
Well antifreeze is supposed to taste really good even though it is poison...that's why animals often drink it and die.

It does? Hmmmmmm... <orders a can>

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
RobHague said:
How else will you find out what it is? ;)
chemical analysis? ask a friend? take a wild guess? something less deadly? that's like the first thing my chemistry teacher told us--never taste or directly smell the chemicals!

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
fklehman said:
Well antifreeze is supposed to taste really good even though it is poison...that's why animals often drink it and die. Did the coolant taste good? If that guy isn't posting, does that mean he died? Can have his dual 2.5? :D

LOL I was wondering if he got sick too... uh oh! :eek:

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
homerjward said:
chemical analysis? ask a friend? take a wild guess? something less deadly? that's like the first thing my chemistry teacher told us--never taste or directly smell the chemicals!

1) Whos going to take a sample for a chemical analysis?
2) Hows your friend going to know more about your G5 than you?
3) What the hell is a wild guess going to do?

If you know if it is the G5 that is actually leaking then just bring it to Apples attention and see what they can do. Simple as that.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
benwa02 said:
1) Whos going to take a sample for a chemical analysis?
2) Hows your friend going to know more about your G5 than you?
3) What the hell is a wild guess going to do?

If you know if it is the G5 that is actually leaking then just bring it to Apples attention and see what they can do. Simple as that.
sorry, was only kidding :eek:

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
fklehman said:
I used to say that one of the scariest feelings in the world is watching the water in your toilet rise up and begin to overflow. I'm adding finding your $3000 computer leaking its coolant to that list. Of course, I never had to taste the toilet water to see what it was...

:D

For all you know that could have been alien spawn juice or left over drippings from a blue rasberry popsicle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.