Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

titovenok88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2019
Hello, dear friends! Thinking about changing my 11 Pro Max on Galaxy Fold or Mate X. I m using my iPhone for everyday work (95% of my time) (hundred emails, different types of docs, social networks, messengers, etc.). I think, that bigger screen makes me more productive. What do You think? Any users of such form factor? Many thanks!

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Would go with mate X. With political dark cloud hovering around Google licence. Have to wait though.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I think you’d be crazy to rely on either of those devices for a heavy daily workload, especially if it was crucial for work. Both likely need to be treated so carefully to avoid breakage. If you really want a productivity powerhouse, I’d look at Note 10+. You’ll also save a lot of money.

Reactions: Klyster

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I get that new technology is exciting, but these are essentially beta devices not really ready for mainstream use, especially for the price. You could keep your Pro Max and get an iPad Pro and still be under the cost of the Galaxy Fold and it would be way more productive.

Reactions: Klyster and tbayrgs

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
You sound like you need something robust if your usage is high.
Neither of those folding devices are robust.

Reactions: jamezr

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I would wait and check out the Surface Duo next year before jumping on one of these early foldables. The Duo seems more practical with its hinge design. I'm personally interested to see what kind of interactions the device has with Windows 10. Either way, I think it is too soon to jump into the foldable market.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

titovenok88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2019
Thank You very much for Your suggestions. Do You really think, that fold is a beta device and it’s better to buy extra device like iPad Pro or MacBook or Surface Pro X? But in this situation I always have to carry it with me. Will it be comfortable?

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
At some point, you just have to make a decision for yourself. Asking which phone is better or which device better fits my needs is fine. But asking if something will be comfortable for you to carry? You just have to give it a try. Theres a return window if it doesnt work out.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Hello, dear friends! Thinking about changing my 11 Pro Max on Galaxy Fold or Mate X. I m using my iPhone for everyday work (95% of my time) (hundred emails, different types of docs, social networks, messengers, etc.). I think, that bigger screen makes me more productive. What do You think? Any users of such form factor? Many thanks!
As an actual owner of a Fold the only nannying you have to do is be mindful not to use your nail to tap or when you loan it to a friend otherwise the form factor is great :)

I support my friend who is a builder and I review and reply to many onsite message, doc's, photos every day along with personal dailies

I do miss my Note 10+ at times only as it's hard to beat the precision of annotating with the pen, however with the Fold larger real estate and zoom it's still possible to convey, but not as neat

One of the nicest things is the landscape mode for emails and preview screen for scanning and reading emails

Palm swipe screen shots are a joy to use because of the size

In your pocket other than being a bit heavier its actually easier (re rolled up newspaper) and thickness is irrelevant compared to the width the Note and others have say in your jeans pocket

As for notch and seam you just do not notice them other than occasionally when sliding across the center of the screen with your finger

The Note 10 is the better value for money option but the Fold screen is likely to improve your daily interaction

If you have a try before you buy option you have nothing to loose

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
If I listened to reviews and what other people had to say I never would have gotten a Galaxy Fold a couple weeks ago. I absolutely LOVE the thing. Two weeks in and I've been having no issues. But I also never subjected my phones to abuse or being held under water so those are non-issues to me.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

If the whole Huawei ban was not happening I would say Mate X without thinking twice, but at this point you’d probably be better off with the Galaxy Fold up until the US and China finalize their trade war shenanigans.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Where are the Mate X reviews?
From what I understand, they've sold out of the devices that have been put up for sale, there was even an articlectge other day of people buying second hand units for $6000!
All I've managed to find see are some 240p-ish unboxing videos.

Surely there's got to be someone out there with a review?

seaquestamd

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2007
Wollongong, Australia
I say this as an owner of the 11 Pro Max, Galaxy Fold & Note 10+, for my workflow the 11 Pro Max wins hands down, there are too many compromises and apps that dont reliably work on the Fold (e.g. Instagram Stories), if the Galaxy Watch experience was better and the camera on the Note 10 was better I would switch to the Note 10+ but for my workflow its the 11 Pro Max that lives in my pocket.

Reactions: Tsepz

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Where are the Mate X reviews?
From what I understand, they've sold out of the devices that have been put up for sale, there was even an articlectge other day of people buying second hand units for $6000!
All I've managed to find see are some 240p-ish unboxing videos.

Surely there's got to be someone out there with a review?

Was it not only released in China?

The only reviews I have seen of it are not in English, like this one:
I say this as an owner of the 11 Pro Max, Galaxy Fold & Note 10+, for my workflow the 11 Pro Max wins hands down, there are too many compromises and apps that dont reliably work on the Fold (e.g. Instagram Stories), if the Galaxy Watch experience was better and the camera on the Note 10 was better I would switch to the Note 10+ but for my workflow its the 11 Pro Max that lives in my pocket.
That is very interesting.

I wonder if Apple are even working on a Foldable after what happened with the Galaxy Fold, I get the feeling Apple are still observing the market and waiting for the price of components to drop in Foldables.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Was it not only released in China?

The only reviews I have seen of it are not in English, like this one:
That is very interesting.

Yes, but I'd still expect reviews.
And you posted one, thank you.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

I'm surprised at your comment above especially on a 3rd party app and even then just a feature compared to your posting on your Iphone11 native app issues which is more of a concern

Seems somewhat contradictory :rolleyes:

iPhone 11 Pro Max with two Exchange accounts and having alot of issues, same as being reported, notification sound saying email is available but have to refresh multiple times or filter by unread before I can access the email. This is on iOS 13.2

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
I'm surprised at your comment above especially on a 3rd party app and even then just a feature compared to your posting on your Iphone11 native app issues which is more of a concern

His post was about iOS 13.2 though we are now on 13.2.3, so maybe it was resolved? And he also talks about the Watch experience and apps in general in his previous post.

It seems to me what he is saying is that the overall experience he has is better on iOS.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
His post was about iOS 13.2 though we are now on 13.2.3, so maybe it was resolved? And he also talks about the Watch experience and apps in general in his previous post.

It seems to me what he is saying is that the overall experience he has is better on iOS.
For an owner who has spent $4-6k on mobile tech you would of thought the example would have a bit more meat than just a feature in some 3rd party app and almost trivia to problems on the Iphone 11 fixed or not

I would of hoped for a bit more sharing than just a simple face value comment

As I said quoting the OP his problem looked worse on the Iphone 11 native app

seaquestamd

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2007
Wollongong, Australia
So, the Exchange mail issue is still persistent in iOS 13.2.3, hopefully 13.3 which should be released this week corrects this issue, for the time being switching to Microsoft Outlook on iOS has been my work around for this issue.

[automerge]1575795024[/automerge]
Its one of a few issues that is important to me, Instagram not working correctly, Facebook not loading certain posts, a weaker camera experience on the Note 10 & Fold vs the 11 Pro Max (e.g. rapidly taking photos in succession on the Note 10 there is a delay when pressing the shutter vs instantly working on the 11 Pro Max, way softer shots, no way to turn off beauty mode), WAY poorer voice support on the Galaxy Watch Active 2, poor bluetooth connections between the Galaxy Buds and the Note 10 (until the recent firmware update), poor search in the native Samsung email application, poorer switching with Galaxy Buds and phone and watch vs iPhone, poorer car integration experience (CarPlay vs Android Auto)

Again with the above said I still pickup the Fold and Note 10 and love them for different reasons (fit and finish, screen on the Note 10, screen size on the Fold) but when I am working and go out day-to-day its the 11 Pro Max that goes with me.

For an owner who has spent $4-6k on mobile tech you would of thought the example would have a bit more meat than just a feature in some 3rd party app and almost trivia to problems on the Iphone 11 fixed or not

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
So, the Exchange mail issue is still persistent in iOS 13.2.3, hopefully 13.3 which should be released this week corrects this issue, for the time being switching to Microsoft Outlook on iOS has been my work around for this issue.

[automerge]1575795024[/automerge]
Its one of a few issues that is important to me, Instagram not working correctly, Facebook not loading certain posts, a weaker camera experience on the Note 10 & Fold vs the 11 Pro Max (e.g. rapidly taking photos in succession on the Note 10 there is a delay when pressing the shutter vs instantly working on the 11 Pro Max, way softer shots, no way to turn off beauty mode), WAY poorer voice support on the Galaxy Watch Active 2, poor bluetooth connections between the Galaxy Buds and the Note 10 (until the recent firmware update), poor search in the native Samsung email application, poorer switching with Galaxy Buds and phone and watch vs iPhone, poorer car integration experience (CarPlay vs Android Auto)

Again with the above said I still pickup the Fold and Note 10 and love them for different reasons (fit and finish, screen on the Note 10, screen size on the Fold) but when I am working and go out day-to-day its the 11 Pro Max that goes with me.
Thanks for a more detail reply and a shame your mail is still playing up

I appreciate your personal thoughts and preferences whist they are not relevant to me but are for you :)

However FYI

No comment on facebook or Instagram, do not know any one who uses it

You can toggle beauty mode on and off via the little wand icon from the camera screen

The screen may appear to be behind when using a long press for multiple picture as the option icons disappear however the actual captured images are not and are from the moment the shutter is pressed

I don't wear cheap watches made by Apple or Samsung etc, although I would buy a LTE version for my wife's morning walk only. I dislike Apple's lack of cross platform support

Like you I got my Buds free and they rate far higher over the standard IPods but rather irrelevant for use on in flight entertainment systems

I never have search issues in my Samsung email but then I am very organised with folders and the landscape mode and mail preview is excellent on the Fold

We never had airplay in our Audi's but our little Honda in Asia has an Android interface which more than meets our needs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.