Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qqurioustiger8945

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
I've a MacBook 4,1 lying around running Lion 10.7 and I'm thinking to install Linux through a virtual machine.

Given that this MacBook will from now on operate just and only to run VM/Linux, I would like to reduce the battery and/or RAM consumption by removing unnecessary Mac system apps/processes.

Looking to strip it down to absolute minimums that the system needs to just run VM/Linux and nothing else.

I have already uninstalled my own apps, as well as most of the default Mac apps/utilities
(like QuickTime, Safari, iTunes, Grapher etc.) using AppCleaner.

Any software that could help me handle unnecessary system and other processes?

Thank you. :)

qqurioustiger8945

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
Doesn't sound like a great idea to me. Have you looked into booting from and running Linux on it?

Hmm, a while ago, I did kinda check booting into Linux directly, but if I remember correctly it was more complicated than just implementing a VM and run it through it. I could be wrong though.

Precisely, if I'm not mistaken again, I'd have to give up Mac OS entirely (Recovery partition as well), which means I'd lose my Windows partition through Boot Camp, no?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.