Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
I purchased a new iPhone 11 and received the free year if tv+. Enjoying the limited content so far.

I will be buying my daughter an iPad for Christmas. Since you can’t double up on the free subscription I was looking at giving it to a friend of mine. I’m thinking if I logged into my daughters iPad with their Apple ID and password and then activate the Apple TV+ app it should give them the free year? At that point I would just reset my daughters iPad and log under her info so it would be like it’s supposed to be.

Does this sound like it should work?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I purchased a new iPhone 11 and received the free year if tv+. Enjoying the limited content so far.

I will be buying my daughter an iPad for Christmas. Since you can’t double up on the free subscription I was looking at giving it to a friend of mine. I’m thinking if I logged into my daughters iPad with their Apple ID and password and then activate the Apple TV+ app it should give them the free year? At that point I would just reset my daughters iPad and log under her info so it would be like it’s supposed to be.

Since it's tied to the AppleID, I'm guessing that at some point it will prompt for your daughter's AppleID credentials... especially if it's not the AppleID that is tied to the AppStore purchases. I could be wrong, but if I am, it would be the first time (today). :D

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Not sure I understand what you mean. The iPad will not know of my daughters Apple ID when we turn it on, it will be a blank device. I put in my friends info on first start up, but after activating appleTV I will wipe the device to new from factory settings, same as if I were to sell the device to someone in the future. At that point I put in her Apple ID. The more I think about it the more I believe this will work.

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
That's a good question even if you truly are gifting a device. Is the free ATV+ tied to the device or the purchaser? Next time somebody is at the Apple Store, please ask.

ifman

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Wouldn’t the new iPad warranty go to your friends Apple ID? You can wipe the iPad and give it to your daughter, but at that point it is second-hand. ?. Just curious.

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Warranty is tied to the device, not the owner. If a second hand device is bought which is still covered by warranty it will be honored. No receipt is necessary to get warranty service, as the warranty status is identified by the device's serial number.

You can enter the device's serial number in the following website to see the current Warranty status of the device.

https://checkcoverage.apple.com/

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
FWIW my iPad Pro was purchased using my wife credit card, registered in Apple Store in her name but activated using my iCloud ID and I get the free year so it’s the iCloud ID activated on the device that’s what Apple use. Your plan could work.

Reactions: pauliaK

iRutherford

Suspended
Oct 30, 2018
Columbus, OH
That's a good question even if you truly are gifting a device. Is the free ATV+ tied to the device or the purchaser? Next time somebody is at the Apple Store, please ask.

It's tied to the Apple ID you first activated the device on. I purchased an iPhone SE as a backup phone from a reseller and was able to get the free trial this way.

I would honestly suggest that you give it to a different person, since you can share your TV+ subscription for up to 6 family members anyway. You just need to turn Family Sharing on.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron

Looks like apple failed to make any services gift cards people can buy and give away. Lost opportunity.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Looks like apple failed to make any services gift cards people can buy and give away. Lost opportunity.
I’d much rather someone gift me a $100 iTunes gift card, allowing me to spend that on whatever I like (including Apple’s services), than a gift card that’s restricted to a year of TV+ or whatever. I enjoy the TV+ shows I’ve seen so far, but the comparison between those two gift options is still not even close.

The.316

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
FWIW my iPad Pro was purchased using my wife credit card, registered in Apple Store in her name but activated using my iCloud ID and I get the free year so it’s the iCloud ID activated on the device that’s what Apple use. Your plan could work.

Question...I’m paying for Apple TV+ as we speak. I purchased an iPad Pro a couple of weeks ago (my Aunt is bringing it to me in a week), do I have to do anything regarding the free year, or will it show up once I activate the iPad?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Question...I’m paying for Apple TV+ as we speak. I purchased an iPad Pro a couple of weeks ago (my Aunt is bringing it to me in a week), do I have to do anything regarding the free year, or will it show up once I activate the iPad?

You should get the free year. You should unsubscribe it before you sign in to your new iPad though just to make sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.