Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Going to be picking up my first 4K tv this month, so will want an Apple TV 4K. The Black Friday sale gives a $40 voucher back with Apple TV but noticed that it’s been over 800 days since it was refreshed, so wondering if it worth getting it or not?

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2019
There is almost a guarantee next year will have a new tv. I couldnt wait and bought one a few weeks ago. I hate buying tech for so dated but it does run well. No real issues...

If you can get it at a discount and dont want to wait, it isnt a bad purchase. But if you can, it is better to wait

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Buy it now as there's absolutely no sign of a refresh. September 2020 could be the update with maybe A12X / A13X chip and HDMI 2.1 which will be incredibly nice for Apple style seamless switching of frame rates and SDR/HDR/DV for TVs equipped with HDMI 2.1 such as LG OLED range.

Apple TV is one investment that you'll never regret.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Going to be picking up my first 4K tv this month, so will want an Apple TV 4K. The Black Friday sale gives a $40 voucher back with Apple TV but noticed that it’s been over 800 days since it was refreshed, so wondering if it worth getting it or not?
May I ask where you are getting an ATV4k with a $40 voucher?

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I hate buying old tech, I stumped up last month for one and after using fire stick and roku, this is by far the best despite it being older. Apple stuff has high resell value too so can always sell it next year when a new one comes out .

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Yah totally. I’ve had them since the original came out, currently have the HD module but stepping up to 4K hopefully after the holidays.

That's incredible! We've had them since late 2010 with the ATV2 and then in March 2012, the ATV3 replaced every satellite box & disc player in the house. It's been an incredible experience ever since and truly stress free. It's allowed me to have everything in one place. Perfect for a minimalist like me! Along with my MacBook, the ATV is my favourite Apple beauty (and my iPhone too).

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
FWIW I picked up the 4K anyway, decided not to fret over it (and now I have a $40 credit with Apple to hopefully justify and Apple Watch lol).

Plugged it into my LG 27W650 4K screen to test it, picked up 4K HDR straight away, so played a couple of Disney+ 4K/HDR shows.....sweet! :D

mragarg

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I'm on the same boat. I think what I'm doing is using the built-in smart TV functions for the TV I bought (it also has Airplay 2 support). But wait for the new Apple TV to come out.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
FWIW I picked up the 4K anyway, decided not to fret over it (and now I have a $40 credit with Apple to hopefully justify and Apple Watch lol).

Plugged it into my LG 27W650 4K screen to test it, picked up 4K HDR straight away, so played a couple of Disney+ 4K/HDR shows.....sweet! :D
NICE!!! Plus with the credit, you can buy some iTunes 4K Dolby Vision films when hey go on offer - check CheapCharts to see the daily offers dude!

Just watching Spider-Man Into the spider verse and wowzer 4K Dolby Vision with animation really looks incredible!!! Brings back memories of art school & graphic design :) :) :)
[automerge]1575507211[/automerge]
I'm on the same boat. I think what I'm doing is using the built-in smart TV functions for the TV I bought (it also has Airplay 2 support). But wait for the new Apple TV to come out.

I think that you'll be waiting a long time - maybe September 2020 if it's going to have say a A13X chip and HDMI 2.1

Don't wish your life & time away - live for the moment - enjoy it and then you could always put it on eBay if you decide next years model is worth upgrading! That's what i'm doing but i'll be passing mine onto one of my friend's as a niceness gift, as that's the kind of dude that I am :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.