Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Hi Everyone.
I'm looking for a good, and cheap web hosting company for my church. I was hoping for maybe less than $10 a year? It's a small church (maybe 200 members, tops), so it wouldn't need to be able to support thousands of visits. Maybe a hundred or so per month. And, just in case "Web Hosting" is not the right term, I need something that would get me a url, and then I could just FTP my website onto thier server.

Also, a different question...
What is "Mac OS X Personal Web Sharing"? Does it cost money, ow does it work?

robcts

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2005
Less than $10/year? I doubt you will find that unless it is a shady company.

A Small Orange has a "Tiny" plan for $30/year which seems perfect for you.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I found several places that offered a plan for about $10 a year, they they seemed to be pretty good, they had a whole list of awards and other stuff. I just don't really know what to look for in a comapny.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Cheapest and non-shady looks to be the right way to go. I'm using a more costly plan from surpasshosting, but they have cheaper ones. Their customer support is incredible, and they definately have my trust. Price for the cheapest plan is $48 a year. Add in a domain for about $10 a year, and it's just about $60. $5 a month would be well within your budget, and you'll have enough space for a very long time. 2GB of storage and 30GB of monthly bandwidth.

I can also donate space to you/your church if you provide your own domain. I can add on up to 3 domains to my hosting plan, and I have plenty of space to give out. I'd normally charge since add-on domains are limited, but I'd be happy to donate one to a church. Only thing would be that you can't access cpanel, but you'd still get all of your basics like FTP. If you're interested, just send me a PM or something.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
robcts said:
Less than $10/year? I doubt you will find that unless it is a shady company.

A Small Orange has a "Tiny" plan for $30/year which seems perfect for you.
Get that. ASO is a great value for the price. Don't cheap out and get poor service to save less than 2 dollars a month. That is what? The price of a bag of chips and a Coke. Go with ASO.

robcts

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2005
ham_man said:
Get that. ASO is a great value for the price. Don't cheap out and get poor service to save less than 2 dollars a month. That is what? The price of a bag of chips and a Coke. Go with ASO.
Yup, really good company with fantasic support. :D

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
EricNau said:
This Orange Place looks good, even though they don't use Apple servers :p
Thanks for the help!
Anyone that wants to be cost effective won't be using Apple servers (not for just web hosting) :eek: ....anyway, just chiming in another strong recommendation for ASO, been with them for some time how and they have been nothing short of brilliant.

capsLOCK

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2005
Before you buy anything, look around at free hosts. not all are crappy. I found one that gave me 1 gig space and 50 gig bandwidth for free (he had a CS server).

sierra36

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2005
Has Anybody heard of Meccahosting company and if so what do you think?

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone knows about Meccahosting company. They sounded pretty nice on the phone but I wanted to double check with anyone who might had experiences with them.

Thank you.
:D

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
yeah man don't cheap out with $10 a year. I realize it's a church but for $10 who knows how secure it's going to be, you might wake up one morning to discover your wonderful little website has been replaced with gUy SmIl3yS pr0n & w4R3z!!!11!!!1!

:p

Doozy

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2005
You can't go wrong with ASO they are a great company.

The Mac OS X Personal Web Sharing feature is an apache webserver. If you turn this feature on you can access your webpages from the internet using your IP address~username. It works fine if you have a static IP but if you have a dynamic IP you will need to figure it out before you can access the pages. Can be a kinda a pain. You will also need to set up DNS if you wanted to use a domain name. I don't recommend hosting a website using this feature, but it is cool to play with.

If your interested I have a domain name hosting plan for $15.00 a year. Includes the cost to register your domain name.

http://www.doozyhosting.com/domain-hosting.php

I will upgrade the account to 50 megs of disk space for free.

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
A lot of people are switching to dreamhost. I got on board about a month ago. They are very nice. Good pricing, feature-full, and your bandwidth and disc space go up on a weekly basis. Definitely worth checking out.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
3rdpath said:
another satisfied ASO user!

great tech support, forums and prices.
ASO sounds like it has very satisfied users, I guess I'll give them a try. It's more than my church wanted to spend, but too bad for them. :eek:

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA

theappleguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
EricNau said:
ASO sounds like it has very satisfied users, I guess I'll give them a try. It's more than my church wanted to spend, but too bad for them. :eek:
Yes, ASO seems to have a good repuation on these forums. Two others I would recommend would be TJR Networks and Myacen. :)

the next reviva

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2003
http://www.dreamhost.com

get the basic plan (4.8gb, free domain)

normally $9 a month, use code "777" to get a years worth of hosting, and domain registration for $9.24

put in referal code "mattklein" and I'll giev you a special bonus!

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Thanks everybody...right now everything is still going through "the system" but I should have it up and going someday :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.