Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
Servage.net is brilliant. For just £5 a month, you can get 330 GB of monthly bandwidth, 7.5 GB of webspace, unlimited email accounts and a free domain name. What's more, if you quote my customer reference number when signing up, you'll get 2 months free hosting and 500MB of extra web space!
My customer reference number: CUST10343 - incase you are interested.

They are fantastic. Superb customer and technical support.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I've been very happy with ASO.

Godaddy is looking really nice now though. 5 gigs of space + plenty of bandwidth for under $40 if payed yearly. Only problem is no cgi, which I kinda need. Still tempting, if just for the massive space.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Vizaweb is also very good. They have a starter plan that's about $35 a year - and comes with a control panel that allows you to install free addons like a blog, forums, picture gallery, etc.

I've been a happy user for over a year now.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
$6/GB for overage on bandwidth? :eek: with overage automatically charged? :eek: They should at least notify you when you are getting close to your limit and again once you've reached it, but $6/GB? That is just insane! The standard is more like $0.50/GB and good hosts will notify you when you are approaching it and again when you've reached it so you can make arrangements for extra bandwidth to be provided.

GoDaddy seems more like a mass market host that doesn't care too much about providing quality services to attract customers but instead snares as many people as they can while they sign up for domain names through them and don't really care too much about retaining your business as there is always another sucker out there to take your place

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
radiantmark said:
Not sure if it matters, but a lot of the well known web designers use dreamhost. :) It's more or less just assurance that they seem to be quite reliable.

Just to name a few (that I can remember):

http://www.simplebits.com
http://www.mezzoblue.com (he did csszengarden.com)
http://www.shauninman.com
http://www.domineydesign.com

not sure about that list; i know shauninman.com is hosted at (mt)mediatemple - maybe he moved to (mt) recently :)

Personally I use mediatemple.net and they're great. expensive though - perhaps overkill for your needs.

I also use ASO - and they're awesome. Fantastic, quick replies all the time. Great servers & services. Highly recommended :)

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
asif786 said:
not sure about that list; i know shauninman.com is hosted at (mt)mediatemple - maybe he moved to (mt) recently :)

Personally I use mediatemple.net and they're great. expensive though - perhaps overkill for your needs.

I also use ASO - and they're awesome. Fantastic, quick replies all the time. Great servers & services. Highly recommended :)

Ah he must have moved. :) Yea lots of those guys use mediatemple.net, but they are pricey.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
One of ASO's most appealing characteristics when I describe it to others is the support. It's fast, easy, and truly helpful. I feel like they actually WANT to help me.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
radiantmark said:
Wow, I can tell you really like DreamHost.
Fact is, it's more expensive than the others, and I don't need the storage. In fact, at the moment I could get away with 10 MB, it's a very simple HTML website, the most I could ever see myself using is 100 MB. So really, I'm looking for the cheapest reliable place I can find. ;)

I've taken three classes on Web Creating: the first two were basic hand coded HTML, and the third is going more into design and using Editors (Adobe GoLive). So everything I'm doing right now is still very basic.

EDIT: is that your website?

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
EricNau said:
Wow, I can tell you really like DreamHost.
Fact is, it's more expensive than the others, and I don't need the storage. In fact, at the moment I could get away with 10 MB, it's a very simple HTML website, the most I could ever see myself using is 100 MB. So really, I'm looking for the cheapest reliable place I can find. ;)

I've taken three classes on Web Creating: the first two were basic hand coded HTML, and the third is going more into design and using Editors (Adobe GoLive). So everything I'm doing right now is still very basic.

EDIT: is that your website?

No, that's not my site. I'm very happy with dreamhost so far. And I'm coming from a host that gave me free hosting. :) (A friend owned it)

mintlivedotcom

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2004
I just switched to PowWeb and found they have awesome service, including a chatroom with employees to get quick answers. I signed up during their "buy two year, get two years free" promotion (runs every so often).

Check out the specs...

https://powweb.com/

One of my sites in development: http://babydvd.net

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
I highly recommend one of three hosts (I've used or are using all three)

1. Eleven2 (Really nice guys, good support.)
2. Dreamhost (Sure you've read enough about them in this thread.)
3. HostGator (Great service, and good support.) (The one that currently hosts my 1 yr old blog)

buckuxc

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003
open source and MS language support?

hey all,

Not sure how to word this question, but I'm working on a project to create an open access journal specializing in publishing the scholarly work of undergraduate students. I'm sorta the go-between guy for the humanities people that don't know the web really and the web people who don't deal with the humanities dept. The web developer we've contracted to work for us, another student, has a background in using ASP, while my background (which is VERY novice) is php and dealing with Movable Type, WordPress, and mySQL db's.

Is there any webhost that allows processing of php, python, etc and ASP? Does ASP work with mySQL?

A Small Orange looks great, as well as a few others, but they don't say anything about ASP.

er...wait...this Servage company does, but comparatively...it looks REALLY good for not a whole lot of money. What are the details? How can they afford soooo much space and bandwidth and what not for not a huge price? It seems too good to be true...?

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
i'd take a look at http://www.phpwebhosting.com. i've used them for two years, and they're great.

plus they don't cut you off if you don't pay one month, great for a student :rolleyes: despite the fact it's only $9.95 / month.

i couldn't recommend them more. plus their helpdesk are damn useful and always answer quickly!

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
To get the church started, you might want to consider getting a blogger account. Its free, simple, immediate. I know that it is not a website, but you could post pics, easily update each week or as often as you liked. There is almost no learning curve, and its 100% free. You could have church members subscribe to the site, other people (if you enable it) can make posts also.

No web design skills needed
free
easily updated
nice templates

I did one for one of the groups at our church, but am abandoning it because the group is just too small to need its own website... but the example is here

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
njmac said:
To get the church started, you might want to consider getting a blogger account. Its free, simple, immediate. I know that it is not a website, but you could post pics, easily update each week or as often as you liked. There is almost no learning curve, and its 100% free. You could have church members subscribe to the site, other people (if you enable it) can make posts also.

No web design skills needed
free
easily updated
nice templates

I did one for one of the groups at our church, but am abandoning it because the group is just too small to need its own website... but the example is here

It's a good idea, but for our church I don't think it would work. I don't think more than a few members would ever post anything. But it could be a neat idea to link to from our website though whenever it gets started.

theappleguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
Is there any webhost that allows processing of php, python, etc and ASP? Does ASP work with mySQL?
You will need Windows if you want to run ASP. Most hosts that people have linked to in this thread are running Linux. This is the better option unless you specifically need ASP .Net etc. I'm pretty sure ASP can interact with a mySQL DB but check on the mySQL site. :)

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
I know a really good host, and it has fantastic customer support as well as apple servers. It is backed up and battery backed up too.

Although the prices on the main homepage may seem higher than what you are looking for, I know the owner very very well, and I could probably get you hosting, with unlimited bandwidth for around $15/year...the domain you would have to register seperately though...he would give you a subdomain though free! username.gwtall.com

here is the link:

http://gwtall.com

It is really professional and cheap!

PM me if you are interested!

mraila

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2005
Just wanted to say that after reading through this thread today I decided to open an account with A Small Orange.

They seemed more user friendly. DreamHost had just too much stuff to sort through. It was overwhelming. They also require a contract of 2 years to get the good rates and to avoid set up fees. Small Orange was quick and easy. Pleased with customer service so far too. I'm paying $5 a month with no set up fees and no contracts. Doesn't hurt to try for that small a commitment...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.