Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Well now this is not exactly ideal.
The security research team at Checkmarx has made something of a habit of uncovering alarming vulnerabilities, with past disclosures covering Amazon’s Alexa and Tinder. However, a discovery of vulnerabilities affecting Google and Samsung smartphones, with the potential to impact hundreds of millions of Android users, is the biggest to date. What did the researchers discover? Oh, only a way for an attacker to take control of smartphone camera apps and remotely take photos, record video, spy on your conversations by recording them as you lift the phone to your ear, identify your location, and more. All of this performed silently, in the background, with the user none the wiser.

When the Checkmarx security research team began researching the Google Camera app, on the Pixel 2XL and Pixel 3 smartphones that were to hand, they found several vulnerabilities. All of these were initiated by issues allowing an attacker to bypass user permissions. “Our team found a way of manipulating specific actions and intents,” Erez Yalon, director of security research at Checkmarx said, “making it possible for any application, without specific permissions, to control the Google Camera app. This same technique also applied to Samsung’s Camera app.” The implications of these vulnerabilities, given the footprint of Google and Samsung smartphones alone, presented a significant threat to hundreds of millions of users.

The vulnerabilities themselves (CVE-2019-2234) allowed a rogue application to grab input from the camera, microphone as well as GPS location data, all remotely. The implications of being able to do this are serious enough that the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) specifically has a set of permissions that any application must request from the user and be approved before enabling such actions. What the Checkmarx researchers did was to create an attack scenario that abused the Google Camera app itself to bypass these permissions. They did so by creating a malicious app that exploited one of the most commonly requested permissions: storage access. “A malicious app running on an Android smartphone that can read the SD card,” Yalon said, “not only has access to past photos and videos, but with this new attack methodology, can be directed to take new photos and videos at will.”

It gets more grim at this point:
How could an attacker exploit these Google Camera app vulnerabilities?

Checkmarx created a proof of concept (PoC) exploit by developing a malicious application, a weather app of the type that is perennially popular in the Google Play Store. This app didn’t require any special permissions other than basic storage access. By just requesting this single, commonplace permission, the app would be unlikely to set off user alarm bells. We are, after all, conditioned to question unnecessary and extensive permission requests rather than a single, common, one. This app, however, was far from harmless. It came in two parts, the client app running on the smartphone and a command and control server that it connects to in order to do the bidding of the attacker. Once the app is installed and started, it would create a persistent connection to that command and control server and then sit and wait for instructions. Closing the app did not close that server connection. What instructions could be sent by the attacker, resulting in what actions? I hope you are sitting down as it’s a lengthy and worrying list.

- Take a photo using the smartphone camera and upload it to the command server.
- Record video using the smartphone camera and upload it to the command server.
- Wait for a voice call to start, by monitoring the smartphone proximity sensor to determine when the phone is held to the ear and record the audio from both sides of the conversation.
- During those monitored calls, the attacker could also record video of the user at the same time as capturing audio.
- Capture GPS tags from all photos taken and use these to locate the owner on a global map.
- Access and copy stored photo and video information, as well as the images captured during an attack.
- Operate stealthily by silencing the smartphone while taking photos and recording videos, so no camera shutter sounds to alert the user.
- The photo and video recording activity could be initiated regardless of whether the smartphone was unlocked.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Per that article the issue was fixed on Google phones in July 2019. Even with all of their flaws the Pixel phones are the only Android phones worth buying, for me.

Reactions: Tsepz

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Looks like Google and Samsung have already patched this exploit.

Android flaw lets apps secretly control your camera, and only Samsung and Google have patched it
According to Checkmarx, the security firm that found this vulnerability, Google has already patched up their Pixel devices with a camera update back in July. Samsung has also taken care of their phones, although it’s not clear when that actually happened. Otherwise, though, there’s a potential for a ton of other unpatched devices to be affected by this. Those models and makers weren’t disclosed, but if it’s everyone besides Google and Samsung, that’s a very long list.

Not just Samsung and Google were affected

Checkmarx said Google has privately indicated that other makers of Android phones besides Samsung may also be vulnerable. Google's statement didn't directly confirm this or say if any other manufacturers have installed an update.

https://arstechnica.com/information...ng-flaw-other-makers-may-still-be-vulnerable/

• Wow
Reactions: decafjava

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Per that article the issue was fixed on Google phones in July 2019. Even with all of their flaws the Pixel phones are the only Android phones worth buying, for me.

I think the more hilarious part about this is how people think certain OEMs spy on them when issues like this exist.

Also the only phones that got this patched are probably newer ones, older ones may still be vulnerable.

Goes to show that nothing is truly closed, makes me wonder what more exploits exists like this that we don’t know about.

Reactions: Harthag

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I think the more hilarious part about this is how people think certain OEMs spy on them when issues like this exist.

Also the only phones that got this patched are probably newer ones, older ones may still be vulnerable.

Goes to show that nothing is truly closed, makes me wonder what more exploits exists like this that we don’t know about.
Not sure what Huawei spying has got to do with this issue. But since you brought that up....have they patched their phones? Seems like only Samsung and Google have patched for this exploit.
Maybe they can leave it open so they can use the exploit then claim ignorance?

cosmo811

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
Cambridge, UK
Christ. Part of the reason I ended up buying an iPhone was privacy and security concerns with both with Google and Samsung. I was on a Galaxy S8, by all accounts still a very good phone and released only about 2.5 years ago. And Samsung announced that they wouldn't be updating it any further except for crucial security updates, but even then I simply didn't have confidence in Samsung that they'd even be able to do that reliably.

If I was going to get an Android phone today, Google and Samsung are still the only ones I'd really consider, at least if you care at all about continuing to receive patches. Nokia are supposed to be part of the Android One programme but it doesn't appear to have been going very well.

Reactions: Tsepz

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Christ. Part of the reason I ended up buying an iPhone was privacy and security concerns with both with Google and Samsung. I was on a Galaxy S8, by all accounts still a very good phone and released only about 2.5 years ago. And Samsung announced that they wouldn't be updating it any further except for crucial security updates, but even then I simply didn't have confidence in Samsung that they'd even be able to do that reliably.

If I was going to get an Android phone today, Google and Samsung are still the only ones I'd really consider, at least if you care at all about continuing to receive patches. Nokia are supposed to be part of the Android One programme but it doesn't appear to have been going very well.

The Android updates situation will never be easy, especially because the OEMs often allow networks/carriers to fiddle with their software to, there are simply far too many cooks in the kitchen.

E.g. It is so annoying to look at someone’s brand new Note10+ and see that stupid Vodafone wallpaper sitting there because they are allowed to add their own branded FW. For as long as they are allowed to brand and fiddle, updates will be an issue.

Google can put in all the measures they want, but there is still that issue with branded phones.

I truly hope Apple never go that way. I get the feeling that if Apple do feel themselves starting to fallout of favour with networks they would allow it and that would forever ruin iOS.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
I think i mentioned few times times last year my s7 edge started taking pictures on its own so i just had to cover the front cam with little round tape.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.