Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

panerista

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
https://bgr.com/2019/01/16/google-pixel-4-all-screen-patent/

Google is apparently the latest company that wants to move away from a notched display design for its smartphones, with a newly spotted patent offering fresh insight into what we’re likely to see in a Pixel 4 handset.

We were already hearing that Google’s next flagship smartphone would actually include a more affordable variant. Supposedly, Google will launch two Verizon-exclusive smartphones this spring — the Pixel 3 Lite and Pixel 3 XL Lite. These would be the first mid-range phones the company has released in the US since the $379 Nexus 5X back in 2015. Meanwhile, we have fresh details on the design direction Google apparently wants to go next, with 91mobileshaving spotted a patent the company has been granted for an all-screen phone sporting an edge-to-edge display.

It would be quite a shift from the Pixel 3’s 18:9 display that featured thick bezels, as well as the Pixel 3 XL’s higher screen-to-body ratio, but of course it’s not exactly a surprising evolution. Consumers are getting more acclimated to notch- and bezel-free displays, and what it looks like Google has in store based on the sketches associated with this patent is an edge-to-edge display device that’s pretty much free of side bezels. There’s also no lower chin. Presumably, this means the handset may include in-display sensors that encompass a front-facing camera, but we’ll have to wait and see.

screen-shot-2019-01-16-at-3.41.02-pm.png
Image Source: 91mobiles

The patent doesn’t mention anything about the internals, but on the back we can see a single camera as well as the two-tone design so closely associated with the Pixel phones.

Being that these are details from a patent, it’s worth including the usual caveat about patents not being definitive indicators that a product will ever see the light of day. The possibility of an all-screen flagship from Google is certainly an interesting prospect, though, as there’s still plenty of mystery surrounding the forthcoming phones from Google.

Of course, Google likes to host its own events for hardware debuts and product updates, so perhaps that’s when we might get the first word about this new design later this year.

This could be very, very interesting.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Fingers crossed this thing goes back to it's roots a little bit! A easier to manage price, quality build, no notch or hole punch or slider mechanism. Newer SOC. And not borked out of the box. They have a chance to go back to the drawing board and come out with something nice and not seemingly cobbled together...

panerista

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Fingers crossed this thing goes back to it's roots a little bit! A easier to manage price, quality build, no notch or hole punch or slider mechanism. Newer SOC. And not borked out of the box. They have a chance to go back to the drawing board and come out with something nice and not seemingly cobbled together...
I think the Pixel Lite basically guarantees the 4 won't go down in price.

That being said, there were so many sales after Thanksgiving, the Pixel 3/XL price was $650, $700 for much of the year

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Doesn’t matter. In the end, Google simply used whatever HTC and LG can make for them, and for hints about what the Pixel 4 will look like, just check the flagships coming out from HTC and LG. Google is not a hardware company, they focus on software only.

Reactions: Wide opeN

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I think the only design change the Pixel 4 XL will have is a smaller notch and the 4 will retain the outdated design of the 3. Hopefully Google will focus on refining the software rather than peddling out new gimmicks.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Been burnt by Pixel design 2 years in a row. Won’t expect this design - as great as it is - until at least 2020...

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Hopefully some of the HTC design crew they hired can come up with something great this year. Love to see the notch disappear. Love to see the squeeze function go away for smaller sides.
Bigger battery....dual camera design would also be welcomed.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Hopefully some of the HTC design crew they hired can come up with something great this year. Love to see the notch disappear. Love to see the squeeze function go away for smaller sides.
Bigger battery....dual camera design would also be welcomed.
Dual camera will never happen. Google is focusing on software solutions, which is their strength. Relying on hardware would require Google to go deep with the ISP in the SoC. I bet they don’t want to deal with that and just do it themselves via software. All Android One phone OEMs had to put their custom camera app to support more than a single camera module.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Dual camera will never happen. Google is focusing on software solutions, which is their strength. Relying on hardware would require Google to go deep with the ISP in the SoC. I bet they don’t want to deal with that and just do it themselves via software. All Android One phone OEMs had to put their custom camera app to support more than a single camera module.
You are probably right. But the Pixel used to be the leader in the camera space and lost that spot to others. There is only so much you can do software wise to compete with multiple cameras and the depth and angles that solution can provide.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
You are probably right. But the Pixel used to be the leader in the camera space and lost that spot to others. There is only so much you can do software wise to compete with multiple cameras and the depth and angles that solution can provide.
Actually, Google already proved that their solution did manage to work as good or exceed hardware solutions with their portrait mode and night mode. Remember the kind of data Google has from all the photos uploaded to Google Photos. Even Apple acknowledges the limitation (and cost) of hardware and actually developed software solutions for the XR, having the same portrait mode as the XS but with just a single camera.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Actually, Google already proved that their solution did manage to work as good or exceed hardware solutions with their portrait mode and night mode. Remember the kind of data Google has from all the photos uploaded to Google Photos. Even Apple acknowledges the limitation (and cost) of hardware and actually developed software solutions for the XR, having the same portrait mode as the XS but with just a single camera.
No arguments there :)
But they have to catch up to the rest of the field. The single lens can only take them so far with all the great software and algorytm enhancements. the rest of the field is passing them by. They did great with one lens....but still fell behind.

Think about what they could do with dual lenses! :)

DxO_reviews.jpg

panerista

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Doesn’t matter. In the end, Google simply used whatever HTC and LG can make for them, and for hints about what the Pixel 4 will look like, just check the flagships coming out from HTC and LG. Google is not a hardware company, they focus on software only.
Maybe i'm confused, but which flagship from those manufacturers is the current Pixel phone?
[doublepost=1547832786][/doublepost]
Apple has two cameras and their camera system is among one of the most disappointing this round. Pixel 3 is at worst the second or third best phone camera on the market. XS doesn't come close.

Reactions: jamezr

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Pixels do digital zoom very nicely. But in considering possible upgrade options this year, where I would choose a Samsung over a Pixel is if Samsung copies LG and puts in a super wide angle lens among the multiple lenses it will put on each model. If Pixel 4 stays at one lens that could be a tough sell for me.

It is so weird here I am in 2018 and only one of my 3 top used phones has 2 lenses. I’ve gone backwards in that respect since giving up my 8 Plus for the Xr. Yet I seem to get better zoomed photos now than before. The software can do pretty amazing things for zoom.

But it can’t really give me a wider angled view and that’s something I really want for sightseeing!

Reactions: jamezr

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I think the only design change the Pixel 4 XL will have is a smaller notch and the 4 will retain the outdated design of the 3. Hopefully Google will focus on refining the software rather than peddling out new gimmicks.

Software in the Pixel is already excellent. Google needs to focus on hardware, build quality, quality control, and design. The software is already best in class for Android phones. It's being let down by weak hardware.

panerista

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Software in the Pixel is already excellent. Google needs to focus on hardware, build quality, quality control, and design. The software is already best in class for Android phones. It's being let down by weak hardware.
Hardware needs improvement to justify the price. However, I would say the problem with build quality is 95% quality control. I also wonder what the first pixel built with Google's HTC assets will look like. Hopefully the notchless model is the Pixel 4 or Pixel 5.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
If Google can actually have some level of quality control on the hardware they send out then the phones are great. Hopefully the new Lite range will also offer a much more affordable option for people wanting a Pixel phone but without the high costs as currently the devices simply aren't worth the money going by how many issues are documented online.

Reactions: drinkingtea

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Hardware needs improvement to justify the price. However, I would say the problem with build quality is 95% quality control. I also wonder what the first pixel built with Google's HTC assets will look like. Hopefully the notchless model is the Pixel 4 or Pixel 5.

There are definitely quality control issues which they'll iron out over time. But I'm more commenting on the design and lack of any special or differentiating qualities to justify the price. Currently they think they can charge premium flagship prices just based on the software and promise of timely updates. That's not going to be enough in the future now that Samsung is so far ahead of them in terms of hardware and is catching up with software. And then you have phones from companies like OnePlus that are most impressive specwise and have almost stock hardware. As a Pixel 3 XL owner I regret getting the phone. Not because it's bad, but because their are better phone for the price and arguably equal phones for much cheaper.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
There are definitely quality control issues which they'll iron out over time. But I'm more commenting on the design and lack of any special or differentiating qualities to justify the price. Currently they think they can charge premium flagship prices just based on the software and promise of timely updates. That's not going to be enough in the future now that Samsung is so far ahead of them in terms of hardware and is catching up with software. And then you have phones from companies like OnePlus that are most impressive specwise and have almost stock hardware. As a Pixel 3 XL owner I regret getting the phone. Not because it's bad, but because their are better phone for the price and arguably equal phones for much cheaper.
Yeah, the premium Google is charging doesn’t give a lot of excuses for the quality control problem. Even cheap Xiaomi can have better quality control. Google is just not really serious into hardware. They’re a software company. Although that was fine with the friendlier prices on the Nexus phones, the premium they are trying to get for the Pixel really just felt like they’re trying to fool customers. As for OS updates, I have Android P with January 2019 security update on my Xiaomi Mi A1, and the phone costed me around $200. The Pixel premium price is a complete rip off.

panerista

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I guess I still don't understand. Which hardware features is it missing?

Solid OLED display worthy of a flagship: check
software/hardware integration on Apple level: check
Dedicated security chip: check
Photo processing chip: check

Which flagship phone has a better camera than Pixel 3?

Oh, and the Samsung software nonsense is laughable. Even if it were remotely close (Samsung is still far behind despite your assertion), Samsung is beholden to the carriers for updates, so it's still behind Pixel.

Also probably worth mentioning, over most of the holiday season the Pixel 3 was $150 off, so you're talking $750. If you don't think the Pixel 3 XL is worth $750 you're just not paying attention to what is going on in the market.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Yeah, seems like a great phone, especially hardware-wise, /s. Post after post about issues with the Pixel line (especially with the Pixel 3/3 XL), sometimes multiple complaints from different users per hour. Google needs to get it together. It’s okay to admit that there are real, concerning problems with the Pixel line and with Google. I do it all the time with Apple. Some complaints from today:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixe...im_so_fing_done_with_google_i_am_about_to_be/

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/ahowp2/pixel_3_call_quality_issue/

Oh, and there’s an odd screen flashing issue that many have been experiencing for months, which Google has yet to address:

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/119210591

I’d really like to try a Pixel, but I honestly do not want to take that risk. Too many ongoing issues with the phone and with Google support. Even a $300 discount isn’t tempting. Get it together, Google. Hopefully the 4 will be more promising.

Last edited:

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I guess I still don't understand. Which hardware features is it missing?

Solid OLED display worthy of a flagship: check
software/hardware integration on Apple level: check
Dedicated security chip: check
Photo processing chip: check

Which flagship phone has a better camera than Pixel 3?

Oh, and the Samsung software nonsense is laughable. Even if it were remotely close (Samsung is still far behind despite your assertion), Samsung is beholden to the carriers for updates, so it's still behind Pixel.

Also probably worth mentioning, over most of the holiday season the Pixel 3 was $150 off, so you're talking $750. If you don't think the Pixel 3 XL is worth $750 you're just not paying attention to what is going on in the market.

What hardware feature is it missing? Let's compare it with another 1k Android phone, the Note 9. The Note has microsd support, a greater screen to body ratio, a built in stylus, better build quality, less quality control problems, dual rear cameras, but most importantly top of the line internal specs. Make no mistake, 4 gigs of RAM for a flagship Android phone is a joke.

You mention it having the best camera. You realize there's nothing special about the hardware for the camera in the Pixel, right? Plenty of other phones have more impressive cameras spec wise. It's Googles photo processing that makes the camera so good. So again, this falls under software and not hardware.

As for you saying Samsung is far behind Android from a software standpoint, go ahead and elaborate. I'd love to hear more unsupported nonsense that you can't back up. Because it doesn't get as timely of updates? Ok, that's one thing that frankly 90% of the population doesnt care about. I'm a Pixel owner and I've owned Samsung devices and their software is much improved from the TouchWiz days. It has more features than stock Android, that's just a fact. Whether all these features are useful is up for debate. Stock Android is smoother and visually cleaner but the new One UI improves the look drastically. Basically, you're way off base here.

Finally, when it comes to your pricing nonsense. So you're judging phones based on their current sale price and not the MSRP? That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. So does that mean because the Note 9 is offered in BOGO deals that we should judge it as being free or half off? If so, that's a hell of a deal. Simply put, the pixel 3 XL is a 1k phone that other than stock Android, top class camera, and quick updates doesn't justify the price .

panerista

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Yeah, seems like a great phone, especially hardware-wise, /s. Post after post about issues with the Pixel line (especially with the Pixel 3/3 XL), sometimes multiple complaints from different users per hour. Google needs to get it together. It’s okay to admit that there are real, concerning problems with the Pixel line and with Google. I do it all the time with Apple. Some complaints from today:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixe...im_so_fing_done_with_google_i_am_about_to_be/

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/ahowp2/pixel_3_call_quality_issue/

Oh, and there’s an odd screen flashing issue that many have been experiencing for months, which Google has yet to address:

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/119210591

I’d really like to try a Pixel, but I honestly do not want to take that risk. Too many ongoing issues with the phone and with Google support. Even a $300 discount isn’t tempting. Get it together, Google. Hopefully the 4 will be more promising.
If social media is the standard by which we judge product quality, head over to the iPhone forum. Apparently, the iPhone XS Max has a horrible radio because so many people are having problems with it. Of course we know that's not true, but for whatever reason you seem to not afford Google that luxury.

I had an iPhone XS Max. The radio was horrible and Apple would not replace it. Go post that on reddit because i honestly don't care. I'm done with Apple and their mega tax.

And I still don't get you, man. You join an Apple forum as an iPhone owner and spend all your time giving grief to people on the Android forum.
[doublepost=1547997053][/doublepost]
What hardware feature is it missing? Let's compare it with another 1k Android phone, the Note 9. The Note has microsd support, a greater screen to body ratio, a built in stylus, better build quality, less quality control problems, dual rear cameras, but most importantly top of the line internal specs. Make no mistake, 4 gigs of RAM for a flagship Android phone is a joke.

You mention it having the best camera. You realize there's nothing special about the hardware for the camera in the Pixel, right? Plenty of other phones have more impressive cameras spec wise. It's Googles photo processing that makes the camera so good. So again, this falls under software and not hardware.

As for you saying Samsung is far behind Android from a software standpoint, go ahead and elaborate. I'd love to hear more unsupported nonsense that you can't back up. Because it doesn't get as timely of updates? Ok, that's one thing that frankly 90% of the population doesnt care about. I'm a Pixel owner and I've owned Samsung devices and their software is much improved from the TouchWiz days. It has more features than stock Android, that's just a fact. Whether all these features are useful is up for debate. Stock Android is smoother and visually cleaner but the new One UI improves the look drastically. Basically, you're way off base here.

Finally, when it comes to your pricing nonsense. So you're judging phones based on their current sale price and not the MSRP? That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. So does that mean because the Note 9 is offered in BOGO deals that we should judge it as being free or half off? If so, that's a hell of a deal. Simply put, the pixel 3 XL is a 1k phone that other than stock Android, top class camera, and quick updates doesn't justify the price .
Your insult hurling doesn't do much to bolster your argument.
  • The note is unique for having a stylus. Almost none of their other competitors have a stylus
  • I admitted that 4 GB of ram may be problematic in a couple of years, but Google is uniquely positioned to work the software to facilitate 4 GB of RAM
  • It does not matter which phone has the best hardware camera when Google and Apple (despite the XS hiccup) are working wonders with photos. All that matters is the photos
  • When you explain it to the average person, people care about on time updates. You cannot, in an age where data is being compromised constantly, argue on timely security updates don't matter.
  • The software on Samsung devices still kind of stinks. It's definitely closer, but their services just aren't as good. Bixby? lol. It all just feels cheap, the look and feel is off. You pay all this money for expensive hardware and you have to live with a second rate software experience.

Here's the ridiculous thing about your argument: OnePlus 6T. OnePlus 6T makes every phone on the market look overpriced. The fact that you tried to argue "Pixel is overpriced" with the ridiculously priced Note 9 is a non-starter.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
  • When you explain it to the average person, people care about on time updates. You cannot, in an age where data is being compromised constantly, argue on timely security updates don't matter.
Unfortunately, majority of people here don't think security updates on Android are important.
I had a thread about it a while back: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...n-android-is-not-really-a-big-deal-a.2147966/
And I got shot down very quickly, and the mod even changed the thread title...

panerista

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Unfortunately, majority of people here don't think security updates on Android are important.
I had a thread about it a while back: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...n-android-is-not-really-a-big-deal-a.2147966/
And I got shot down very quickly, and the mod even changed the thread title...
Regardless, it takes a two minute conversation to explain to the average user why it's important to have timely software updates. Most people simply don't have that talk.

Reactions: kazmac

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
If social media is the standard by which we judge product quality, head over to the iPhone forum. Apparently, the iPhone XS Max has a horrible radio because so many people are having problems with it. Of course we know that's not true, but for whatever reason you seem to not afford Google that luxury.

I had an iPhone XS Max. The radio was horrible and Apple would not replace it. Go post that on reddit because i honestly don't care. I'm done with Apple and their mega tax.

And I still don't get you, man. You join an Apple forum as an iPhone owner and spend all your time giving grief to people on the Android forum.
[doublepost=1547997053][/doublepost]
Your insult hurling doesn't do much to bolster your argument.
  • The note is unique for having a stylus. Almost none of their other competitors have a stylus
  • I admitted that 4 GB of ram may be problematic in a couple of years, but Google is uniquely positioned to work the software to facilitate 4 GB of RAM
  • It does not matter which phone has the best hardware camera when Google and Apple (despite the XS hiccup) are working wonders with photos. All that matters is the photos
  • The software on Samsung devices still kind of stinks. It's definitely closer, but their services just aren't as good. Bixby? lol. It all just feels cheap, the look and feel is off. You pay all this money for expensive hardware and you have to live with a second rate software experience.

Here's the ridiculous thing about your argument: OnePlus 6T. OnePlus 6T makes every phone on the market look overpriced. The fact that you tried to argue "Pixel is overpriced" with the ridiculously priced Note 9 is a non-starter.

I’m on this Android section because I’ve been considering getting a Pixel for a while and because I like to talk about phones in general. But I don’t need to tell you this because it’s really none of your concern why I am here.

That’s great. I’m well aware of the issues the iPhone XS Max has and other iPhones have. I’m not sure why I would “go post that on Reddit” when I don’t even own a Max since it’s so damn expensive. iPhones aren’t perfect. That’s why I’ve been considering getting a Pixel.

I do my research before getting any new phone; part of that research entails looking into any issues the phone might have. And, boy, does the Pixel have a lot in comparison to other Androids and to the iPhone by the volume of problem posts there are about this phone in Reddit and in tech forums. There are millions more iPhone and Galaxy users than Pixel users. Their subreddits aren’t no where near as negative as the Pixel’s is.

I’m not sure why you get very offended at any criticism against this phone. I’m looking into buying the Pixel. Of course I’m going to ask and talk about the issues this phone has. Why would I not? It would be like me buying a car without considering any defects owners have had with it. Now that flagship phones are $1,000+, I want to be very careful with what I’m buying. It’s like you only want people to discuss the good qualities about this phone. If they don’t, you get very offended and defensive. It’s just a phone. It’s okay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.