Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
You said

I disagree....there are somethings the Pixel 4 XL does better than my iPhone Pro Max and some things the pro max does better. But in no way is the P4 XL and inferior phone.

Then as I said earlier......price doesn't make a phone inferior......or superior for that matter.
Then if you enjoy using the Pixel 4 XL more that the iPhone.....well that kinda speaks for itself now doesn't it? For me and most others the overall user experience means more than a set of specs a phone has on paper.
Lol exactly, I never said the phone is inferior because of the cost. I said the phone is inferior but I would still consider using it because of the cost savings. Cost has nothing to do with if it's better or worse and I never said it did.

What does the Pixel 4 do better than the iPhone other than things that are OS specific? Because that stuff is all user preference.

It's objectively a worse device, not just in specs but in performance. I'm not saying I don't like it or it's a bad device, but comparatively it's worse than the iPhone. I'm not the only one to say this. Almost every major tech review echoes the same sentiment.

Because I enjoy using it more doesn't make it better, it makes it more fun. I might enjoy driving a Mustang more than a Mercedes, that doesn't make it a better car just more fun.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Lol exactly, I never said the phone is inferior because of the cost. I said the phone is inferior but I would still consider using it because of the cost savings. Cost has nothing to do with if it's better or worse and I never said it did.

What does the Pixel 4 do better than the iPhone other than things that are OS specific? Because that stuff is all user preference.

It's objectively a worse device, not just in specs but in performance. I'm not saying I don't like it or it's a bad device, but comparatively it's worse than the iPhone. I'm not the only one to say this. Almost every major tech review echoes the same sentiment.

Because I enjoy using it more doesn't make it better, it makes it more fun. I might enjoy driving a Mustang more than a Mercedes, that doesn't make it a better car just more fun.
but you did say it was inferior due to the $400...you said it a couple of times, Its ok to say one is a better value based on price. But price doesn't make a phone inferior.

In the end it all comes down to user experience. Then i don't base my enjoyment of a phone based on someone else's online review...they have biases just like the rest of us.

Then as far as the car analogy......I drove a high end Mclaren as a birthday present last year.
Very fast car! I got up to speeds of 150 on the track. But in the end i would rather drive my lifted 4x4 hemi truck. It provides a better user experience for me.

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 5.29.47 AM.png

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
but you did say it was inferior due to the $400...you said it a couple of times, Its ok to say one is a better value based on price. But price doesn't make a phone inferior.

In the end it all comes down to user experience. Then i don't base my enjoyment of a phone based on someone else's online review...they have biases just like the rest of us.

Then as far as the car analogy......I drove a high end Mclaren as a birthday present last year.
Very fast car! I got up to speeds of 150 on the track. But in the end i would rather drive my lifted 4x4 hemi truck. It provides a better user experience for me.

View attachment 880727
Jesus Christ dude. Read the screenshot you posted. You asked "why keep an inferior device?" And I replied because it would save me $400. That's not me saying the cost makes it inferior. That's me saying I'm willing to use something inferior for the cost savings.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Jesus Christ dude. Read the screenshot you posted. You asked "why keep an inferior device?" And I replied because it would save me $400. That's not me saying the cost makes it inferior. That's me saying I'm willing to use something inferior for the cost savings.
the screenshot was for context....you said you enjoyed using the pixel 4 XL more than the Pro Max...yet it is inferior? You have said many times in this thread how much you like the Pro max and how was better yet you like using it more? But in the end I guess in the end we go with what we can afford.
I disagree that the P4XL is inferior to the Pro max......

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Sorry to barge in like this guys but you seem to have entered a vicious loop here...

Still, even though the 4 XL is an inferior phone...and it most certainly is an inferior phone...I enjoy using it more than the iPhone.

Sorry but this actually is a pretty confusing statement. If you enjoy using the Pixel more, how can it be inferior?

He didn't say it was inferior because of its price.

• Love
Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
I helped my parents buy Pixel 3a phones on Black Friday. I'm excited for them to get up and running. One is transferring from an iPhone 8 and one is transferring from an ancient Android phone with like 8GB of storage ?

Reactions: BMox81 and Harthag

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Sold my 3a on Swappa for $280, minus fees and shipping I got $250 out of it. More than I thought I'd get. So I scored the Pixel 4 XL for $290 all said and done (damn Verizon activation fee). May walk into Verizon store and just pay off the $499 for my 4 XL in cash. I can't switch between my iPhone and Pixel through my online account because of "my recent account changes." Swapping the SIM works but voicemails are jumbled texts on iPhone. I'm getting very annoyed by passwords and LastPass implementation compared to iOS. Authentication + convenience are nailed by Apple. Google has a LONG way to go and I'm not sure it'll ever catch up to Apple.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I find it funny that people are only comparing the Pixel 4 to iPhones, disregarding the plethora of other Android handsets that offer a lot more bang for the buck than the Pixel 4.

Realme X2 Pro. SD855+ (yes, the plus version, true flagship), 90hz screen, quad camera including ultra wide, 12GB RAM, 256GB UFS3 storage, all for just around $550. Or you can opt for the OnePlus 7T/Pro, for $600/$670. Still cheaper than the base Pixel 4.

People who keep saying the Pixel 4 to be a good value (discounting sales and price cuts) need to get a reality check.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I find it funny that people are only comparing the Pixel 4 to iPhones, disregarding the plethora of other Android handsets that offer a lot more bang for the buck than the Pixel 4.

Realme X2 Pro. SD855+ (yes, the plus version, true flagship), 90hz screen, quad camera including ultra wide, 12GB RAM, 256GB UFS3 storage, all for just around $550. Or you can opt for the OnePlus 7T/Pro, for $600/$670. Still cheaper than the base Pixel 4.

People who keep saying the Pixel 4 to be a good value (discounting sales and price cuts) need to get a reality check.

I really can't stand these types of comments. I am in the U.S. on Verizon. What good would a Huawei, Realme, Honor, Xiaomi, Asus do me? It won't come with Android 10 and / or won't get it for months. Security updates can be questionable. No Verizon support. No wifi calling. No Verizon call filter. I owned the OnePlus 6T and 7 Pro. They both lack wifi calling on Verizon, which I need. Setting up a Google Voice number or other dumb workaround is not an option for me. I don't need 256gb of storage on my phone.

Huawei isn't supported at all in the U.S., so I'd get no warranty support.

So tell me, considering the above, why do I need a reality check for paying $500 for a Pixel 4 XL? I do my research and know my wants and needs out of a phone much better than you do.

*Edit- I agree that the Pixel 4 XL at $900 is a bad value. I'd say the same thing re: Note 10+ at full price (puts on flame suit).

Last edited:

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
I really can't stand these types of comments. I am in the U.S. on Verizon. What good would a Huawei, Realme, Honor, Xiaomi, Asus do me? It won't come with Android 10 and / or won't get it for months. Security updates can be questionable. No Verizon support. No wifi calling. No Verizon call filter. I owned the OnePlus 6T and 7 Pro. They both lack wifi calling on Verizon, which I need. Setting up a Google Voice number or other dumb workaround is not an option for me. I don't need 256gb of storage on my phone.

So tell me, considering the above, why do I need a reality check for paying $500 for a Pixel 4 XL? I do my research and know my wants and needs out of a phone much better than you do.

I'm in the same boat as you. Verizon and US so these phones do not work for us. But what about the Samsung phones. I bought an S10 over the Pixel 4 because of the Pixel 4's compromises. S10 works fully with Verizon, but I will give you the fact that they don't get timely updates. One thing about the leading edge of Google's Android updates, yes you get them ASAP, but I did not like the inconsistent battery life that came with them. My Pixel 2 some months was a battery king, but other months couldn't go an entire day without the charger.

Reactions: Harthag

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016

I've noticed a trend with you...you like to talk up whatever device you have and trash talk everything else. Let me guess...you happen to own a Realme Pro?

I've also noticed that when you're not dropping into the alternative devices section, you are talking about how great the iPhone is. Whats funny is that you're a fan of the iphone, a device that traditionally is underspec'ed compared to android but still delivers a great user experience, yet you fail to see why people would buy a Pixel? You realize thats the same argument, right? Pixels are never the top spec'ed android device yet a majority of people prefer them because of the superior software experience.

So maybe you need a reality check on your hypocrisy before you go doling out advice.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Yeah as hard of a time as I’m giving the Pixel 4, none of those phones mentioned above give me any interest.

The only Android phones I’d consider over the Pixel 4 are the Note 10+ (amazing device) and the OnePlus (which can’t be used on USCellular).

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I'm in the same boat as you. Verizon and US so these phones do not work for us. But what about the Samsung phones. I bought an S10 over the Pixel 4 because of the Pixel 4's compromises. S10 works fully with Verizon, but I will give you the fact that they don't get timely updates. One thing about the leading edge of Google's Android updates, yes you get them ASAP, but I did not like the inconsistent battery life that came with them. My Pixel 2 some months was a battery king, but other months couldn't go an entire day without the charger.
I think Samsung phones are fantastic phones. They are just not for me at the moment. I came close about 10 times to buying a Note 10+ when it was discounted for black Friday but opted for the Pixel.

Agree re: Pixel updates, they are blessings and curses. Sometimes they fix bugs and other times create 5 more bugs that weren't there in the first place.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I've noticed a trend with you...you like to talk up whatever device you have and trash talk everything else. Let me guess...you happen to own a Realme Pro?

I've also noticed that when you're not dropping into the alternative devices section, you are talking about how great the iPhone is. Whats funny is that you're a fan of the iphone, a device that traditionally is underspec'ed compared to android but still delivers a great user experience, yet you fail to see why people would buy a Pixel? You realize thats the same argument, right? Pixels are never the top spec'ed android device yet a majority of people prefer them because of the superior software experience.

So maybe you need a reality check on your hypocrisy before you go doling out advice.
]
Haha software "experience"? Now the Pixel lovers are talking like the iPhone fans. That's the hypocrisy. How is the Pixel's software is superior? Do tell. It runs the same Android apps as every other Android phones out there.
[automerge]1575494259[/automerge]

*Edit- I agree that the Pixel 4 XL at $900 is a bad value. I'd say the same thing re: Note 10+ at full price (puts on flame suit).
Reading can be a good thing. I did say "discounting sales and price cuts." If one boight a Pixel 4 for $500, then that's fine imo. It shows the true market price of Android phones with that spec, $500 to maybe $700 tops.

Reading works. :p

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
]
Haha software "experience"? Now the Pixel lovers are talking like the iPhone fans. That's the hypocrisy. How is the Pixel's software is superior? Do tell. It runs the same Android apps as every other Android phones out there.
[automerge]1575494259[/automerge]

Reading can be a good thing. I did say "discounting sales and price cuts." If one boight a Pixel 4 for $500, then that's fine imo. It shows the true market price of Android phones with that spec, $500 to maybe $700 tops.

Reading works. :p

FFS you are really trying hard to deflect and pivot here arent you? So Pixel devices don't have any advantages software-wise over other android devices? Call screening? Live transcription? Astrophotography? Latest updates? Updated assistant? Not to mention stock android is just smoother than skinned android.

If you argument is that all android phones run the same apps so they're all the same, then why should we all get the Realme Pro when we could buy a cheap $200 device since, ya know, they all run the same apps.

You didnt answer me before. So do you own the Realme Pro that you recommended we should all get?

Reactions: Tig Bitties

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
I think Samsung phones are fantastic phones. They are just not for me at the moment. I came close about 10 times to buying a Note 10+ when it was discounted for black Friday but opted for the Pixel.

I did the same with the Pixel 4 at launch. Pretty much bought it 4 times and each time I did it I couldn't keep the order for more than 24 hours. Really want Pixel phones to succeed so maybe my next one will be a Pixel.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
The Pixel 4, tearing this community apart!

Deciding between it and the iPhone is tearing me apart, lol. I jumped back and forth between which one im going to keep about every day this week. Today I started noticing how much my notifications are getting delayed on my Pixel when setting next to my iPhone and that swayed me back to the iPhone's side...for today.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Deciding between it and the iPhone is tearing me apart, lol. I jumped back and forth between which one im going to keep about every day this week. Today I started noticing how much my notifications are getting delayed on my Pixel when setting next to my iPhone and that swayed me back to the iPhone's side...for today.

I’ve noticed that too in the past. I remember wondering why notifications on the iOS version would come earlier than Google’s own phone.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I’ve noticed that too in the past. I remember wondering why notifications on the iOS version would come earlier than Google’s own phone.
If I had to venture a guess it would be Doze. Pretty sure when Google implemented Doze a couple versions back one of the things it was known for was putting apps to sleep when the phone hadnt been woken up for a while. I'm guessing its still the culprit because a lot of times as soon as I wake up the phone notifications would start pouring in.

Reactions: mjschabow

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
FFS you are really trying hard to deflect and pivot here arent you? So Pixel devices don't have any advantages software-wise over other android devices? Call screening? Live transcription? Astrophotography? Latest updates? Updated assistant? Not to mention stock android is just smoother than skinned android.

If you argument is that all android phones run the same apps so they're all the same, then why should we all get the Realme Pro when we could buy a cheap $200 device since, ya know, they all run the same apps.

You didnt answer me before. So do you own the Realme Pro that you recommended we should all get?
Are you still stuck in the early days of Android that you still think stock is smoother?

In reality, I do say even $200 phones are already delivering good Android experience. And most people would do fine with those phones. Thus for flagships, we pay more for better spec. When a company is charging premium without delivering the spec, well, what’s the premium for?

And like I replied to the other user, I do think if one can get the Pixel 4 at a discount, maybe $500-$600 , then that’s fine. That’s not such a bad deal, since that’s the running rate of such spec in the market. :D

And no, your question is irrelevant. Whichever phone I have is not relevant in this thread. It’s just a way to deflect the conversation. Spoiler alert: The whole point is the value of the Pixel 4 at its launch price.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Are you still stuck in the early days of Android that you still think stock is smoother?

In reality, I do say even $200 phones are already delivering good Android experience. And most people would do fine with those phones. Thus for flagships, we pay more for better spec. When a company is charging premium without delivering the spec, well, what’s the premium for?

And like I replied to the other user, I do think if one can get the Pixel 4 at a discount, maybe $500-$600 , then that’s fine. That’s not such a bad deal, since that’s the running rate of such spec in the market. :D

And no, your question is irrelevant. Whichever phone I have is not relevant in this thread. It’s just a way to deflect the conversation. Spoiler alert: The whole point is the value of the Pixel 4 at its launch price.
Nobody here is saying that the pixel was priced accordingly at launch. I think everyone would agree it's overpriced at MSRP but at $200-300 off its a good deal. A device is more than it's specs.

As for your "we pay more for better spec argument", then why would anyone ever pay for a iPhone the past few years as far as specs go they're are inferior to Android devices. People pay for the total user experience. LH still puts out top of the line specs phone but nobody buys them because their total package is inferior to the competition.

And my comments about you owning a realme phone wasn't a deflection, it was commentary on your posting style which is often times condescending.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Don't know your financial situation obviously, but have you considered keeping both? If it isn't feasible it isn't feasible. You seem so passionate about these phones, so why force yourself to choose or give up what you enjoy? Maybe remove Starbucks or other wasteful expenses, maybe you're getting a tax refund in a few months, etc. Worth consideration?

As I typed this reply my 4 XL went from 99% to 97%, haha. That's whack.

Reactions: Awesomesince86
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.