Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
So Android phones aren’t "true flagships" if they don’t have the 855+? Poor Note 10+, what a let down.

Comparing specs of phones is also pointless. The OP7 might be better on paper, but there’s no denying the user experience many people value in the Pixel. Not to mention the superior camera. Pikachu always coming good with the funny comments.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Don't know your financial situation obviously, but have you considered keeping both? If it isn't feasible it isn't feasible. You seem so passionate about these phones, so why force yourself to choose or give up what you enjoy? Maybe remove Starbucks or other wasteful expenses, maybe you're getting a tax refund in a few months, etc. Worth consideration?

As I typed this reply my 4 XL went from 99% to 97%, haha. That's whack.
I could absolutely afford them both but I couldn't justify it to myself if that makes sense.

Reactions: 5105973 and Harthag

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Are you still stuck in the early days of Android that you still think stock is smoother?

In reality, I do say even $200 phones are already delivering good Android experience. And most people would do fine with those phones. Thus for flagships, we pay more for better spec. When a company is charging premium without delivering the spec, well, what’s the premium for?

And like I replied to the other user, I do think if one can get the Pixel 4 at a discount, maybe $500-$600 , then that’s fine. That’s not such a bad deal, since that’s the running rate of such spec in the market. :D

And no, your question is irrelevant. Whichever phone I have is not relevant in this thread. It’s just a way to deflect the conversation. Spoiler alert: The whole point is the value of the Pixel 4 at its launch price.
I remember you pimping the pocofone f1 last year and talking about how flagships were a rip-off compared to it. Most likely you live in India or somewhere that has a lot of solid budget phones. None of those phones work here. The only real budget phones are cheap Samsungs or Motorolas. Your country is given a ton of choices that we don't have.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I keep watching 4 XL videos even though I have a XS now. One day, I will own a Pixel!
Haha you and me both, I just watched Tim Schofields review and came to post pretty much the same thing. The Pixels have so many tings I’d love to have on my phone and I’m curious about how it’d be to really go all in Google. And, yes there are things about my 11 Pro that really irk me. Right now my workflow on iOS/Mac is just too good to pass up but maybe next time around. If I had enough spare cash I’d definitely get a 4XL to play with on the side.

Reactions: drinkingtea

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
My free Chromebook arrived yesterday as my preorder bonus for ordering my Pixel.

Just need to sell it on now!

Reactions: jamezr

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
My price target for the 4 XL is almost ALMOST there and likely to pick one up in the next 10 days...

Didn't realise but one of my mates got a smaller Pixel 4 and had a nice play around with it last Friday. Wow!!

The camera wasn't as a big an upgrade as a I thought but the screen was beautiful, the 90Hz refresh really was gorgeous and the phone was incredible fast/fluid.

I'm a Pixel guy now. These past 2 years have convinced me. 4 XL is the next stop. Choo choo!!

Reactions: nospleen

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
My price target for the 4 XL is almost ALMOST there and likely to pick one up in the next 10 days...

Didn't realise but one of my mates got a smaller Pixel 4 and had a nice play around with it last Friday. Wow!!

The camera wasn't as a big an upgrade as a I thought but the screen was beautiful, the 90Hz refresh really was gorgeous and the phone was incredible fast/fluid.

I'm a Pixel guy now. These past 2 years have convinced me. 4 XL is the next stop. Choo choo!!

Might want to wait until they go on sale again though.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Haha you and me both, I just watched Tim Schofields review and came to post pretty much the same thing. The Pixels have so many tings I’d love to have on my phone and I’m curious about how it’d be to really go all in Google. And, yes there are things about my 11 Pro that really irk me. Right now my workflow on iOS/Mac is just too good to pass up but maybe next time around. If I had enough spare cash I’d definitely get a 4XL to play with on the side.
Despite the Pixel’s shortcomings, it’s always been an attractive phone. There’s something about it. The Pixel 4 XL should be around $300+ in about six months. I think I’ll get it then.

Oh, and I remember you asking me about my favorite Shortcuts but I haven’t replied because I’ve been so busy. Some of my most frequently used Shortcuts: link to specific Spotify playlists; discount calculator; a Shortcut that automatically texts certain people when I update my list on Reminders; a Shortcut that downloads YouTube videos. Check out https://www.reddit.com/r/shortcuts/ for some great Shortcuts!

Reactions: Oohara

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Switched to the P4XL from using my Pro Max the last few days.
All i can say is the P4XL is more than just the sum of its parts. The phone is so smooth and effortless to use. face Unlock is the best biometric authentication i have used to date. It gets me using my phone faster.
Just checked and my bank (BofA) now supports FaceUnlock
if they had only put in a bigger battery.......

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Despite the Pixel’s shortcomings, it’s always been an attractive phone. There’s something about it. The Pixel 4 XL should be around $300+ in about six months. I think I’ll get it then.

Oh, and I remember you asking me about my favorite Shortcuts but I haven’t replied because I’ve been so busy. Some of my most frequently used Shortcuts: link to specific Spotify playlists; discount calculator; a Shortcut that automatically texts certain people when I update my list on Reminders; a Shortcut that downloads YouTube videos. Check out https://www.reddit.com/r/shortcuts/ for some great Shortcuts!
I bought a BNIB pixel 3XL for $300 in August so you aren't far off with the residual value.

Reactions: drinkingtea

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Odd. I haven’t had any GPS issues.

Switched back to the Pro Max today just to give it a day to compare again. Definitely seems slower than the 4 XL but I’m getting all my notifications right away and it’s a lot easier to type with the wider phone.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Might want to wait until they go on sale again though.

In the UK, there is no proper sale - we only got £70 off!!

I tend to look on eBay. It's almost at £300 off now (RRP is £829).

TBH my Pixel 2 XL is still going strong so I'll wait for a really great deal.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Odd. I haven’t had any GPS issues.

Switched back to the Pro Max today just to give it a day to compare again. Definitely seems slower than the 4 XL but I’m getting all my notifications right away and it’s a lot easier to type with the wider phone.
yeah I like that it is wider...but it is also heavier.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
So here's something funny regarding battery life...

We all know iPhone like to stay around 100% for a long time and its not accurate but this is still crazy. This morning I switched my sim from my Pixel 4 XL to my Pro Max for the day. I left my Pixel 4 XL on and it was only connected to wifi and barely touched it on my desk. Meanwhile, I used my Pro Max all day with pretty light activity, something around 1:45 of screen on time. Just compared batteries...the Pro Max is at 94% and the Pixel 4 XL is at 87% (with AOD off btw).

Ridiculous.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
So here's something funny regarding battery life...

We all know iPhone like to stay around 100% for a long time and its not accurate but this is still crazy. This morning I switched my sim from my Pixel 4 XL to my Pro Max for the day. I left my Pixel 4 XL on and it was only connected to wifi and barely touched it on my desk. Meanwhile, I used my Pro Max all day with pretty light activity, something around 1:45 of screen on time. Just compared batteries...the Pro Max is at 94% and the Pixel 4 XL is at 87% (with AOD off btw).

Ridiculous.

Maybe your Pixel 4 was exhausted watching you use your iPhone?

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
New 4xl $660 on swappa. Seems like a decent deal, but I'd rather buy directly from Google. Is $699 the best deal Google will offer in the coming months?

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I wonder why Google didn't knock 300 off the device like they did the 3? Is it because they were just embarrassed or something with the 3 and wanted to move them as quickly as possible?

The 4 does look like what the 3 should have been (minus the battery thing).

Anyone think we'll see about sale on the 4 in another week or so for Christmas?

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I wonder why Google didn't knock 300 off the device like they did the 3? Is it because they were just embarrassed or something with the 3 and wanted to move them as quickly as possible?

The 4 does look like what the 3 should have been (minus the battery thing).

Anyone think we'll see about sale on the 4 in another week or so for Christmas?
Probably but I don’t think it will be as much. At least I think that’s what happened last year.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Well, I think the 4 XL is going back. In some ways I liked it more than my Pro Max. Build quality is great, screen is fantastic, OS was really smooth (except multitask screen which jitters), and I got it at a price that made it a great value. I also am probably in the minority that prefer Android messaging to iMessage, only because I have more frequently contacted people that use Android and RCS.

But, in the end a few things will stop me from keeping it. The obvious one being battery life. I found myself restricting apps in the background and disabling things to get it through a full day and thats not something I should have to do with a flagship phone. Especially with me being someone that travels a lot for work. Even though I got it to a point where I would get 5 hrs SOT, I just expect more in 2019. And thats with a fresh, new battery. What happens in a year when the battery starts to wear or if Google pushes a bad update that tanks it. Its barely passable as it is.

The other big issues for me personally were video recording is straight up garbage, especially compared with the iPhone. Lastly, I just noticed a drop in quality of apps after bouncing back and forth from Android to iOS the past couple of days. Nothing major, but enough to be noticeable. But what finally made me decide to send it back was I dont think the savings will be that different when compared to my iphone. I imagine when I switch phones around this time next year, the 4 XL will be around $400 secondhand and the market will be flooded. Meanwhile, the Pro Max will still get sold instantly secondhand for probably $900 or so.

I dont blame anyone for keeping this phone. Its excellent and is the peak of android from a software standpoint. Its a shame the hardware side drags it down.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Well, I think the 4 XL is going back. In some ways I liked it more than my Pro Max. Build quality is great, screen is fantastic, OS was really smooth (except multitask screen which jitters), and I got it at a price that made it a great value. I also am probably in the minority that prefer Android messaging to iMessage, only because I have more frequently contacted people that use Android and RCS.

But, in the end a few things will stop me from keeping it. The obvious one being battery life. I found myself restricting apps in the background and disabling things to get it through a full day and thats not something I should have to do with a flagship phone. Especially with me being someone that travels a lot for work. Even though I got it to a point where I would get 5 hrs SOT, I just expect more in 2019. And thats with a fresh, new battery. What happens in a year when the battery starts to wear or if Google pushes a bad update that tanks it. Its barely passable as it is.

The other big issues for me personally were video recording is straight up garbage, especially compared with the iPhone. Lastly, I just noticed a drop in quality of apps after bouncing back and forth from Android to iOS the past couple of days. Nothing major, but enough to be noticeable. But what finally made me decide to send it back was I dont think the savings will be that different when compared to my iphone. I imagine when I switch phones around this time next year, the 4 XL will be around $400 secondhand and the market will be flooded. Meanwhile, the Pro Max will still get sold instantly secondhand for probably $900 or so.

I dont blame anyone for keeping this phone. Its excellent and is the peak of android from a software standpoint. Its a shame the hardware side drags it down.

It was nice living vicariously through you for the last week as I was really tempted to pick one up, and you pretty much confirmed the reasons why I just couldn't pull the trigger. If I wasn't currently using the 11 Pro, it may have been a different story but I just don't know that I could have made those kinds of sacrifices long term.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.