Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
It was nice living vicariously through you for the last week as I was really tempted to pick one up, and you pretty much confirmed the reasons why I just couldn't pull the trigger. If I wasn't currently using the 11 Pro, it may have been a different story but I just don't know that I could have made those kinds of sacrifices long term.

Haha no problem. I really wanted to keep the 4 XL as I prefer android and I almost convinced myself. But I was thinking about everything in a best case scenario. The battery life is just so borderline that any bad update, rogue background app, or battery wear will make it go from average to really bad. I dont want that worry. Plus one of the things I didnt list that bothered my the most was it was too damn narrow. It made it comfortable to hold but a pain in the ass to type on.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Haha no problem. I really wanted to keep the 4 XL as I prefer android and I almost convinced myself. But I was thinking about everything in a best case scenario. The battery life is just so borderline that any bad update, rogue background app, or battery wear will make it go from average to really bad. I dont want that worry. Plus one of the things I didnt list that bothered my the most was it was too damn narrow. It made it comfortable to hold but a pain in the ass to type on.

Yes, and if Google didn't have a history of bad updates, I'd say maybe that's an overreaction, but my first go around with the Pixel 3 this past February, everyone was waiting on an update that would fix the camera from taking up to 5 seconds to launch, as well as fixing the previous update slowed down the phone considerably. This was 4 months after the phone was released. I know Apple isn't perfect with their software updates either but never that bad.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Those are my 2 biggest complaints with the P4XL...battery life and how narrow it is....

Reactions: 5105973

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Those are my 2 biggest complaints with the P4XL...battery life and how narrow it is....
It’s weird, I liked how narrow it was at first because it made it easier to hold and maneuver one handed. But it made typing really hard. I guess someone with smaller hands would appreciate it but it made the keyboard too cramped for me.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
00000IMG_00000_BURST20191207124207908_COVER.jpg

Putting up Christmas decorations this weekend

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
View attachment 881348

Putting up Christmas decorations this weekend

One thing that really stood out for me when comparing pictures between my Pro Max and Pixel 4 were that the Pro Max pictures always had colors that looked for true or real life. Pixel still had the edge in sharpness, especially with moving objects. But the iPhone camera app has lapped the Android one at this point. For the simple fact that you can easily switch to video while taking pictures and because night mode is automatic.

But for point and shoot cameras, Pixel is still the best IMO.

Reactions: 5105973

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
One thing that really stood out for me when comparing pictures between my Pro Max and Pixel 4 were that the Pro Max pictures always had colors that looked for true or real life. Pixel still had the edge in sharpness, especially with moving objects. But the iPhone camera app has lapped the Android one at this point. For the simple fact that you can easily switch to video while taking pictures and because night mode is automatic.

But for point and shoot cameras, Pixel is still the best IMO.

I wish iOS gave us control over night mode. Auto is fine, but I would like to be able to turn off and on when I want.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I wish iOS gave us control over night mode. Auto is fine, but I would like to be able to turn off and on when I want.
I understand that argument and in general I don’t like Apples “we know best” mentality. But in this case, I’ll take it because it makes things easier on the user and for people that just like to point and shoot and get good pictures.

Reactions: nospleen

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I do find the narrative around the Pixel 4 vs iPhone 11 Pro interesting.

The funny thing is last year's iPhone Xs really wasn't very good. OK, this year Apple have been fixing a lot of obvious problems (something they strangely rarely do) but it's literally 2019 being the first year for them to do so.

Apple have suddenly received a free pass for all their absolutely bone-headed decisions (e.g. subpar camera, battery life, even other things like Butterfly keyboard etc).

Yet everyone rides Google for their Pixel issues. I know it's not a direct comparison but it's fascinating how quickly people forget.
I don’t see them getting a free pass for it. Over on the main they’re still getting ridiculed regularly for the slop.

I love the 11 Pro but I won’t soon forget I could only use one of the new models last year without getting sick.

Reactions: Oohara

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Pixel 4 and XL seeing discounts again...

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/12/09/pixel-4-4-xl-google-wifi-deal/

Still could use a bit more of a tempting discount IMHO, but some of the Amazon deals look decent.
Is it worth it to pay $699 for a 4xl when you can get a 3xl for half that in mint condition? I honestly don't know, but from what I have read the 4xl isn't a massive upgrade over the 3xl (kind of like iPhone 7+ to 8+ where the 8+ is better in every way, but not a game changer)

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Is it worth it to pay $699 for a 4xl when you can get a 3xl for half that in mint condition? I honestly don't know, but from what I have read the 4xl isn't a massive upgrade over the 3xl (kind of like iPhone 7+ to 8+ where the 8+ is better in every way, but not a game changer)

That’s a good comparison. The XS compared to the X was similar too. Also S9 to S8.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth

It might be, my 3 XL has just been very jittery and drinks battery even after I unrooted the thing and took the last 2 pending OTA updates.

It might be if you're not bothered by the asymmetrical aspects of the device or bothered by seeing parts of video cut off because of the notch (though I kinda point fingers at the ever increasing widening format some of these so called cinematographers like to use).

If the price was right on the 4 XL, I would probably toss the 3 into the drawer and not think twice about it. Possibly the same with a note 10 (I'm kinda kicking myself for sitting out that lightning deal on Amazon for black Friday)

For some reason the 3 has never grown on me like the 2 has, I have a general meh attitude towards it (kind of like the 4).

I think in some ways Android 10 made it worse. :confused:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It might be, my 3 XL has just been very jittery and drinks battery even after I unrooted the thing and took the last 2 pending OTA updates.

It might be if you're not bothered by the asymmetrical aspects of the device or bothered by seeing parts of video cut off because of the notch (though I kinda point fingers at the ever increasing widening format some of these so called cinematographers like to use).

If the price was right on the 4 XL, I would probably toss the 3 into the drawer and not think twice about it. Possibly the same with a note 10 (I'm kinda kicking myself for sitting out that lightning deal on Amazon for black Friday)

For some reason the 3 has never grown on me like the 2 has, I have a general meh attitude towards it (kind of like the 4).

I think in some ways Android 10 made it worse. :confused:
I’m really not using my 3XL at the moment. My husband just updated his a few days ago but we’ve been too busy to really sit and chat about them. I’m on Pixel 2, Note 10+ and iPhone 11 Pro. Last time I checked AT&T didn’t have any updates for my 10+ so it was slightly behind on security updates. My Pixel 2 got whatever has been available but honestly I’m not keeping track. I even sat out iOS updates for several weeks. My family has kept me hopping, but mostly for fun holiday and school stuff for a change. Basically all I’ve really had time to notice was how surprisingly good my Pixel 2 has been on battery life. I mean it’s better than it was and lasts me the day at least. I’m so flipping glad I didn’t send it off in trade at the last minute.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I've had my sim in my Xperia 5 for the last week or so. This afternoon I've been using the Pixel 4 again and I can't say I've really missed it.
To the point where I was intending to just sell the Xperia 5 on after tinkering, but it's looking like the 4 is going instead.

It's a great phone, and I'd happily use it, but this is more about the Xperia 5 hitting the right spot than the Pixel 4 being a bad phone.

I think for me, the Pixel 4 doesn't add too much over the 3 or even the 3a, it's very much incremental, which we all know Apple has made a fortune off over the years, but with Android being such a competitive space it doesn't feel like it can cut it.

Having used a 21:9 phone now too, this short fat Pixel 4 (and even iPhone 11 now) feels odd.
I truly hope 21:9 is the next big trend. I'm absolutely here for it.

Whilst the Xperia 5 does not have the camera of the Pixel, it's still capable by knowing which mode to use when (auto, manual etc), and I am holding onto my iPhone which is very close in terms of quality with the Pixel.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Is anyone's battery life improved after the December update? Granted I am using the phone (P4 XL) without a SIM and just on WiFi, but after an hour of use my battery was at 91% which is a little better than before the update.

Reactions: Tig Bitties
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.