Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Another cool thing I've noticed that Android seems to do a better job of than iOS is voicemail transcription. Over the years on iOS every one of the transcribed VM's I had were butchered badly or non-existent altogether.

So far, all of the VM's on the new Pixel have been transcribed and done so almost perfectly. So I thought that was kind of nice.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
anyone here get this?

‘Googler-only’ July OTA rolls out to some Pixel 3a devices
The update appears to have rolled out earlier this morning to a wider than usual swath of both Pixel 3a and Pixel 3a XL devices. Many encountered the internal message on the system updates screen or realized they were updated after seeing next month’s security patch level. As of this afternoon, the Googler-only Pixel 3a OTA is not appearing on several devices we checked.
https://9to5google.com/2019/06/19/googler-only-pixel-3a-ota/

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

If I did, I wouldn't be able to tell you. :D

"CONFIDENTIAL INTERNAL ONLY — This is a confidential Googlers-only OTA to update your device to Android 9 with July 2019 security patches and critical bugfixes. You may use your device normally but do not discuss or comment on this update externally. Send feedback to android-dogfood-discuss@. See go/release-faqs for more info!"

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
If I did, I wouldn't be able to tell you. :D

"CONFIDENTIAL INTERNAL ONLY — This is a confidential Googlers-only OTA to update your device to Android 9 with July 2019 security patches and critical bugfixes. You may use your device normally but do not discuss or comment on this update externally. Send feedback to android-dogfood-discuss@. See go/release-faqs for more info!"
LOL...

if-i-tell-csp6q3.jpg

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Another cool thing I've noticed that Android seems to do a better job of than iOS is voicemail transcription. Over the years on iOS every one of the transcribed VM's I had were butchered badly or non-existent altogether.

So far, all of the VM's on the new Pixel have been transcribed and done so almost perfectly. So I thought that was kind of nice.

Is there an app you have to have? I was using the TMobile one but it was a subscription which is ridiculous. Or is it just in the stock photo app?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Is there an app you have to have? I was using the TMobile one but it was a subscription which is ridiculous. Or is it just in the stock photo app?
Just the stock phone app. I have Google Fi for cellular service. Perhaps that's a feature it provides because I don't pay for anything extra to have visual VM or transcription.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Just the stock phone app. I have Google Fi for cellular service. Perhaps that's a feature it provides because I don't pay for anything extra to have visual VM or transcription.

That might be it. i don't see it as a current option on the stock voicemail set up. Makes sense.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
While I still get great battery life from my 3a XL, since updating to the Q beta, I've noticed the idle battery drain is much worse. All apps closed and in airplane mode I lose about 1% an hour. Before I was losing 2-5% in 20 hours.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Will the July security patch also come with a new beta? For the last couple of hours, when I swipe up to close an app, the app closes but then flashes up again for a split second. Which is more than a little irritating and not something I can put up with. A reboot doesn't solve it.

Last edited:

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
@mjschabow might be back to iPhone (for now) but he still has his toes in the Pixel waters.....sitting on the edge of the pool testing the waters..... :D

Haha as always.

I’m actually sitting here waiting for the Pixel camera, native Google Assistant, Now Playing, and Call Screening to arrive on my iPhone. Then I’ll be content.

Reactions: Geert76 and jamezr

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Does Duo for modern iPhones work as it does on Android Pie? I discovered recently to my delight that I can video chat with my girlfriend on Duo (I'm the one on Android) while at the same time browse the internet to look up various activities for us / picture in picture. She can't do it on her iPhone 6+. And I also can't do that with FaceTime. What an awesome feature to have.

Keep the posts coming in this thread! I have my Xs up for sale and have the itch to get a 3a as an alternate phone that can also be my daily driver. I'm confident enough now with a OP7 Pro + (potential) Pixel 3a combo to the point where I can give up the iPhone for awhile. If the 11r doesn't have a 1080p display I will not buy an iPhone in 2019 or foreseeable future.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
So I bought a regular 3a unlocked yesterday. This morning I charged it to 100% and let the phone sit idle all day at home just connected to WiFi. No sim card installed. I set up the phone as new and did not install any apps. After 9 hours the battery was at 89% with always on display taking 8% battery. It seems like while I'm using the phone the battery drops by the minute. After just going into settings and also using Chrome for a combined 10 mins, battery dropped another 3%.

I disabled WiFi scanning and Bluetooth. I have not disabled digital wellbeing. In the battery usage menu nothing had been using battery other than AOD / no other apps listed. Is this fast drain a defective battery?

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
So I bought a regular 3a unlocked yesterday. This morning I charged it to 100% and let the phone sit idle all day at home just connected to WiFi. No sim card installed. I set up the phone as new and did not install any apps. After 9 hours the battery was at 89% with always on display taking 8% battery. It seems like while I'm using the phone the battery drops by the minute. After just going into settings and also using Chrome for a combined 10 mins, battery dropped another 3%.

I disabled WiFi scanning and Bluetooth. I have not disabled digital wellbeing. In the battery usage menu nothing had been using battery other than AOD / no other apps listed. Is this fast drain a defective battery?

Compared to when I had the 3a, that seems pretty excessive. Keep in mind though it is a new phone and sometimes they take a cycle to calm down.

Reactions: Harthag

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Compared to when I had the 3a, that seems pretty excessive. Keep in mind though it is a new phone and sometimes they take a cycle to calm down.
I'm not optimistic but we'll see what happens. Seems more times than not I have battery issues with Pixel phones. Fantastic phone otherwise.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I'm not optimistic but we'll see what happens. Seems more times than not I have battery issues with Pixel phones. Fantastic phone otherwise.

Did you restore from any backups? That could also be the culprit.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007

Well, Google has been recording and collecting voice mails from Grandcentral (now Google Voice) for ages, so no wonder they do (and know you) "better." :D

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Try disabling digital wellbeing and then see what results you.get. Plenty have complained about it draining the battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.