Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I was so close to buying the 3axl but read that it isnt as water resistant as my 2xl, that is a deal break unfortunately. I was looking forward to better battery life

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I've been using it for about half a day now. Screen is surprisingly sharp, battery is great so far, and it really is a great device for the price. It doesn't hold a candle to my S10 plus but when you take price into account, it's worth the savings and I'll probably sell my S10 plus. My only complaint so far is you can definitely notice stutters and slowdowns at time due to the slower chip. Still, should be fine after a couple of days when I'm not so used to the speed of my S10.

Reactions: jamezr

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Im rocking pixel 3a as my daily driver for more than a month now...... So far so good....
For the price no complaint here....

But there is still a part of me that i miss my apple watch haha.....

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I'm actually shocked at how much smoother this 3a XL is compared to the Pixel 3 XL I bought near launch. That tells me 1 of 3 things...

1. My Pixel 3 XL was a lemon.
2. The Pixel 3 lineup launched with ridiculously buggy and not ready for prime time software (IMO this is the most likely) that has since been fixed with software updates.
3. Android Q is a much more refined experience compared to Android P as I'm currently running the latest beta.

Either way, couldn't be happier with this phone given the price. Still getting used to the decrease in screen size but it'll be more than good enough to hold me over until the Pixel 4. S10 plus is going up for sale (even though it's the best phone I've ever used).

Reactions: Harthag and three

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
I'm actually shocked at how much smoother this 3a XL is compared to the Pixel 3 XL I bought near launch. That tells me 1 of 3 things...

1. My Pixel 3 XL was a lemon.
2. The Pixel 3 lineup launched with ridiculously buggy and not ready for prime time software (IMO this is the most likely) that has since been fixed with software updates.
3. Android Q is a much more refined experience compared to Android P as I'm currently running the latest beta.

Either way, couldn't be happier with this phone given the price. Still getting used to the decrease in screen size but it'll be more than good enough to hold me over until the Pixel 4. S10 plus is going up for sale (even though it's the best phone I've ever used).

Wow, we've pretty much had the same experience! I excitedly pre-ordered the Pixel 3. Was hit hard with the phone call bug (still going on to this day, apparently) among other things. I RMA'd and sold the Pixel 3, grabbed a OnePlus 6T, and ended up with an S10e. Loved the S10e but wow, The 3a packs a punch. Although One UI on the S10 isn't bad by any means, I much prefer the smooth simplicity of Pixel's Android, especially Q. I'm probably going to be selling my S10e, too!

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Wow, we've pretty much had the same experience! I excitedly pre-ordered the Pixel 3. Was hit hard with the phone call bug (still going on to this day, apparently) among other things. I RMA'd and sold the Pixel 3, grabbed a OnePlus 6T, and ended up with an S10e. Loved the S10e but wow, The 3a packs a punch. Although One UI on the S10 isn't bad by any means, I much prefer the smooth simplicity of Pixel's Android, especially Q. I'm probably going to be selling my S10e, too!
Have you tried a launcher on the e to make it look stock? How does the e camera compare?

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
Have you tried a launcher on the e to make it look stock? How does the e camera compare?

Yeah, I've switched between a couple different launchers on the S10e. Ended up using Lawnchair v2 most of the time, though. I genuinely enjoyed the experience with One UI on the S10e, it was decent looking, well thought out (I appreciated the UI elements shifted lower down on the display), and had a nice set of features, too. However, I realized that I didn't use most, if any, of the features available in One UI. I find that I prefer and feel happier with stock / Pixel Android, despite the lack of features (on paper) in comparison to One UI on the S10e. The camera on the Pixel 3a is a little bit better, but not a huge difference. I do really miss the wide angle lens of the S10e though.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Apparently stats don't reset unless you do a full charge. Because no phone gets close to these kind of results.
Screenshot_20190721-173807.png

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Hope to see a 4a XL. But I kinda wonder if Google is once again going to take after Apple and use the 3a as their iPhone SE :rolleyes::mad:

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Hope to see a 4a XL. But I kinda wonder if Google is once again going to take after Apple and use the 3a as their iPhone SE :rolleyes::mad:
I'm hoping they learned from the Pixel 3a when it comes to their pricing model for the 4. I'm obviously not asking for a $400 phone, but it would be cool up see maybe a $650 every price. Doubtful but one can hope. Either way, I'll be picking up the smaller 4.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm hoping they learned from the Pixel 3a when it comes to their pricing model for the 4. I'm obviously not asking for a $400 phone, but it would be cool up see maybe a $650 every price. Doubtful but one can hope. Either way, I'll be picking up the smaller 4.
I doubt it. If anything, it will justify a Pixel 4a a few months later. That concerns me greatly.

Reactions: mjschabow

jackietreeh0rn

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2018
My wife has a 3a and has no complaints yet, after roughly 2 months of using it. The camera is just bonkers. Even after taking into account the slight amount of lag you see while the post processing is happening.

hailst0rm

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008
I would be curious to know how people are getting on with their Pixel 3a phones now? I've had mine since July and I'm already itching to jump back to iPhone. The iPhone X is looking tempting now the second hand prices are about half what it came out at originally.

No real complaints with my phone, just get bored quickly. Only odd thing I've had google assistant randomly start reading out wikipedia entries to a question I never asked.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I don't have my 3a XL now, but no way I'd trade it for a 2 year old iPhone X if I did. No point in taking a step backwards.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I would be curious to know how people are getting on with their Pixel 3a phones now? I've had mine since July and I'm already itching to jump back to iPhone. The iPhone X is looking tempting now the second hand prices are about half what it came out at originally.

No real complaints with my phone, just get bored quickly. Only odd thing I've had google assistant randomly start reading out wikipedia entries to a question I never asked.
Still, love my 3a. I have no itch to get another iPhone, nor do I have an itch to get a Pixel 4 either. Having Google Fi for service is great too. No more $60-$70 per month phone bills. Mine are all less than $30 per month now. Last month was $27.

3a does everything I need it to do and does them well. It's lightweight and made of plastic and I like that.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Welp... Just ordered one! ?‍♂️o_O

Think I'll dub this one subpixel ?

Amazon has the small ones for 299 (XL for 379) so figured why not? Thinking it'll be an upgrade for my main S7 edge I've pretty much lost interest in and it needs retired.

Last edited:

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Came in a couple days ago, still need to get it powered on and set up and updated, bootloader unlocked. Might become my primary line to replace my S7 edge... Still debating on switching carriers...
IMG_20191122_144726-01.jpeg

Reactions: Tig Bitties

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I'm thinking I probably should set the thing up as basic as I can, accept the OTA updates and then unlock the bootloader. Just in case the bootloader unlock borks something where ota's don't install.

I think I prefer to unlock bootloader first though since it wipes everything

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.