Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
So I just enabled my free tv + 1 year subscription because I bought the 11 Pro and received that as a complimentary gift as everyone else that bought a new iPhone did. I do NOT wish to pay for this tv+ service going forward after the Trial Ends so from what I understand I need to WAIT until a week before Nov 2020 to cancel this subscription before they automatically charge me, is that correct? Ideally I would have liked to cancel the renewal now but it warned me that if I cancel now I will lose the entire year trial as well so I’m a bit confused.. in that case I should ideally cancel the subscription October 2020 to avoid getting automatically charged?

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
So I just enabled my free tv + 1 year subscription because I bought the 11 Pro and received that as a complimentary gift as everyone else that bought a new iPhone did. I do NOT wish to pay for this tv+ service going forward after the Trial Ends so from what I understand I need to WAIT until a week before Nov 2020 to cancel this subscription before they automatically charge me, is that correct? Ideally I would have liked to cancel the renewal now but it warned me that if I cancel now I will lose the entire year trial as well so I’m a bit confused.. in that case I should ideally cancel the subscription October 2020 to avoid getting automatically charged?
Do NOT cancel now as I believe it'll go off straight away and you won't be able to get back on the free trial. Set a reminder for next year.

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
Just set a reminder to cancel a couple weeks before it renews.

But worst case scenario, if you forget to cancel, you'll be charged $4.99 once next year. In that worst case, that $4.99 will be a reminder to cancel.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Just set a reminder to cancel a couple weeks before it renews.

But worst case scenario, if you forget to cancel, you'll be charged $4.99 once next year. In that worst case, that $4.99 will be a reminder to cancel.
Got IT, I set up a reminder. Thank you
[automerge]1572715367[/automerge]
I canceled now.

You will be notified at time of cancelation that you can still access until November 2020.
How so? It clearly warns you with a message that if you cancel now you will lose instant access to the trial as well

Reactions: BigMcGuire

exi

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Got IT, I set up a reminder. Thank you
[automerge]1572715367[/automerge]

How so? It clearly warns you with a message that if you cancel now you will lose instant access to the trial as well

Don't know what to tell you there. I subscribed to activate, canceled to "clean up" with plans on manually subscribing if I like it, and yet in my subscriptions, the trial clearly appears as active, expires November 1, 2020, with monthly and yearly subscription options available just below as you'd expect if you purchased a month-long subscription of some app or another and canceled prior to that month being up (e.g., a robocall blocking utility). I just now, seconds before posting this, made sure that I can stream portions of See to verify functionality.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Don't know what to tell you there. I subscribed to activate, canceled to "clean up" with plans on manually subscribing if I like it, and yet in my subscriptions, the trial clearly appears as active, expires November 1, 2020, with monthly and yearly subscription options available just below as you'd expect if you purchased a month-long subscription of some app or another and canceled prior to that month being up (e.g., a robocall blocking utility). I just now, seconds before posting this, made sure that I can stream portions of See to verify functionality.
Is it possible it takes a few hours for them to terminate your trial as per the warning message? What made you cancel it early to begin with btw? I want to cancel it to make sure I’m not charged by mistake comes Nov 2020

exi

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Is it possible it takes a few hours for them to terminate your trial as per the warning message? What made you cancel it early to begin with btw? I want to cancel it to make sure I’m not charged by mistake comes Nov 2020

Maybe I overlooked the message to which you're referring. I canceled many hours ago because I don't like active subscriptions unless I know I'll keep using and enjoying the product, is all.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

set a calendar event for “cancel TV+ subscription“ on Oct 1 2020.

problem solved.

Sajal

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2014
You’ll still be able to enjoy the trial if you cancel.
All subscription service works like this..
Eg. Netflix, prime etc..
Even subscription services which are based on App Store have to honour their trial.

Edit: I stand corrected, the Tv+ trial might end, so please do not try unsubscribing it.

Last edited:

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Eg. Netflix, prime etc..
Even subscription services which are based on App Store have to honour their trial.
Why does the warning clearly state that I’ll lose the Trial then if I proceed with the cancelation?

Sajal

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2014
63885957-83E2-4412-AA9B-CCCA4CC04D34.jpeg

right the message does say about losing the trial.. it’s really strange.I might be wrong, this is highly unlike any other trial service.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

exi

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Wonder if the above is connected to anything else about Apple accounts. I do not recall seeing that when I canceled (and can still use the service through free trial ending a year from now).

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
How did you get to the cancelation screen? Via Settings? or App Store?
Settings page. This is the entire reason i created this thread and i guess the one member above that said he canceled his Trial and hes still able to use the Apple TV + Service till Nov 2020 must be from another country as he clearly didn't see the same warning message i saw nor was he even aware of that warning message that i recieved as i was about to cancel the membership (and i didn't cancel because i don't want to lose the Trial) so i just set a reminder in calendar for October 28, 2020 to let me know to cancel the subscription when its time.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Eg. Netflix, prime etc..
Apple Arcade doesn’t. I canceled in the trial period and it shutdown immediately. I knew it would though as there was a message indicating so.

Reactions: Sajal and Benz63amg

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Apple Arcade doesn’t. I canceled in the trial period and it shutdown immediately. I knew it would though as there was a message indicating so.
Thanks for the heads up, In that case i stand correct. I knew that the warning message from Apple was there for a reason yet the member named "exi" above kept insisting that i must somehow be wrong about this. I'm glad i didn't cancel and simply set up a reminder for Oct 28 2020 to make sure i don't forget to cancel the subscription before it renews.

Reactions: Sajal and seadragon

exi

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for the heads up, In that case i stand correct. I knew that the warning message from Apple was there for a reason yet the member named "exi" above kept insisting that i must somehow be wrong about this. I'm glad i didn't cancel and simply set up a reminder for Oct 28 2020 to make sure i don't forget to cancel the subscription before it renews.

Not insisting anything, just sharing my experience which for whatever reason is apparently different.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I canceled now.

You will be notified at time of cancelation that you can still access until November 2020.
I’ve noticed that typically the current subscription period remains with early cancellation. When I binge subscribe, I either set a reminder to cancel, or I’ve actually established a subscription (for a month) and then immediately cancelled it, the subscription for that month remains.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I’ve noticed that typically the current subscription period remains with early cancellation. When I binge subscribe, I either set a reminder to cancel, or I’ve actually established a subscription (for a month) and then immediately cancelled it, the subscription for that month remains.

Those are usually paid subscriptions or "normal" trials.

This one is not at all paid nor is the free year a "normal" one (normally, the trial is 1 week)...

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Those are usually paid subscriptions or "normal" trials.

This one is not at all paid nor is the free year a "normal" one (normally, the trial is 1 week)...
If I had a one year free subscription, I‘d go see what it says in iTunes, or wherever subscriptions are now listed. If it says renews in xx 2020, I most likely would set a reminder to cancel one month prior and then when I cancel, see if it says subscription ends on xx 2020 date, same as the former renew date.

Reactions: ActionableMango
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.