Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
My saved card on DirecTV Now (AT&T Now) expired. I received an email "we couldn't charge your card" so I logged in 5 minutes later, changed it and they billed me. 3 weeks later, I get this:
3hOIKmw.jpeg

Keep in mind, they had already charged me but when I log in, I'm here:
K8VmDKV.jpeg

My $35 all-in plan from launch has crept to $50 which is fine but now to get that back, I have to commit to $135 a month which is more than I ever paid for CableTV before Internet so we're cancelling our service. The only thing I'll miss will be sports but a word of warning. this is by design. AT&T is waiting for billing foul-ups just so they can cancel your plan and get you into a higher tier.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Are they sticking to the same spiel even if you call and escalate into their CSR's?

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
"After reactivating the account, let me know and I will change the package to the same old Go Big with special permission from my manager only for you."

----

The first time I tried to do this, they couldn't help me. Second time is the charm? Chat took 2 escalations & about 15 minutes but looks like they fixed it for me amazingly.

They left me with, "Adam, I have successfully changed the plan back to Go Big in your account. Now please go to settings of your account and select sign out and then sign in again. You will get all the updated package channels within 4 hours maximum."

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Good info.

A few days ago, I canceled my AT&T TV Now sub. I never actually used it, as I got it to help my baby boomer parents to cut the cord.

In less than a year, they increased the prices over 85%.

I talked to my parents about it, and we agreed to try another service. No other service has all the channels they are looking for, but there are ones that have most of the channels that are cheaper.

Reactions: adamjackson

DFWHD

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2011
In less than a year, they increased the prices over 85%.

I talked to my parents about it, and we agreed to try another service. No other service has all the channels they are looking for, but there are ones that have most of the channels that are cheaper.

AT&T is a clueless mess these days and are just trying to pay down their debt. Wall Street has already started downgrading their stock, so the worst is yet to come as they try anything to make their numbers.

I dropped them after my price increased to within a few dollars of a Spectrum bundle and grabbed that for 12 months using an old Tivo I had around the house. Not sure what channels your folks want in a package, but a lot of folks use You Tube TV and Philo together, which offers a great cable replacement package. YTTV is $49 and Philo is $20. I've used YTTV at our vacation home and it is stable, so I'll head this way when my Spectrum deal ends in early 2020.

Reactions: adamjackson

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
AT&T with their same old tricks. Glad I left pay TV behind and installed an antenna. Netflix, Hulu, Prime and Disney+ gives me all the entertainment I need.

Reactions: user_xyz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.