Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
Amazing bang-for-buck. This will set a Mini-2018 up for life.

Apple price: $600 ? (and you don't get to keep the 8GB you're already paying for)

Last edited:

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Yes! I saw this and purchased it last night. I was looking for another excuse to take my 2018 Mini apart. I can't believe how cheap this memory is. I remember paying 200$ for a 4MB RAM chip back in 1992.

llihp

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
Picked up this RAM myself.

I've watched the videos and read the various guides, just wondered how you have got on installing it? It seems straight forward, but some of the connectors look a bit fragile?

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Picked up this RAM myself.

I've watched the videos and read the various guides, just wondered how you have got on installing it? It seems straight forward, but some of the connectors look a bit fragile?

I bought the iFixit kit below which (with the addition of a Torque 10 Bit) allowed for easy installation. The prying tools and tweezers are great for the contact connections etc. Link below to the video I used and it was really good. Also shows how to remove the heatsink etc... which I also did to apply liquid metal. Took me about 30-40 mins and that was taking my time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MRNIFR6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

llihp

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
Thanks, that video is one of the better ones i've watched.

The main thing i'm slightly nervous about is how fragile the airport connection looks, i've seen horror stories of people pulling the connection point off the logic board!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.