Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Paying $30 to protect a $99 product? That is the craziest thing I have ever heard. Please, the shuffles are made of impact-resistant plastic and solid state memory. And it has no screen!

Imagine paying $9,000 for a weather cover for your $30,000 car.

If you want to protect the shuffle from scratches, a 1 cent piece of saran wrap will do the job probably more efficiently.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
$US30 is a round of drinks in the pub over here... a relative pittance.

Saran wrap may be your idea of class... :)

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
$30 will buy me a vacation month of beef noodle soup in Vietnam or Cambodia.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Very nice!

I bought the Apple sport case for mine, which is really nice, too.

No lanyard attachment, or did I miss something?

And to the aforementioned poster, try and lighten up a bit. :)

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I'll lighten up when Apple includes a USB to FW adaptor for my shuffle, so I can use my $19 firewire cable Apple so much stiffed all the loyal Apple users.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I'm really speaking of your negative tone, sir. It's not a positive addition to a lot of threads on this fine board. That's all. ;)

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Just pointing out the cost/benefit ratio. In this case, way too money is spent protecting something that doesn't cost a lot. I see protection for shuffles as a waste of money.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
BTW: The 1gb shuffle is UK£99.01 over here.
About US$186... :eek:

So that's why $30 seems fairly reasonable from a UK point of view.
Well... from my point of view anyway.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Blue Velvet said:
BTW: The 1gb shuffle is UK£99.01 over here.
About US$186... :eek:

So that's why $30 seems fairly reasonable from a UK point of view.
Well... from my point view anyway.

It IS a reasonable price to protect your 1GB Shuffle. People are protective of their Apple kit, because it is designed so well. They want to preserve the look, even if it costs a little extra. $30 is still way cheaper than replacing your Shuffle because of scuffs and scratches on the case.

And besides, it's blue, to boot... ;)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i would have to see one in person, but i kinda do like the look of the blue and silver (to match my powerbook)

panda

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
scratch scratch, itch itch

powermac666 said:
It IS a reasonable price to protect your 1GB Shuffle. People are protective of their Apple kit, because it is designed so well. They want to preserve the look, even if it costs a little extra. $30 is still way cheaper than replacing your Shuffle because of scuffs and scratches on the case.

And besides, it's blue, to boot... ;)

interesting way of seeing it...

yet, why preserve the pristine look of the shuttle when you will not be able appreciate it with this case on?

and then of course, alu scratches badly, so one would need to buy a case to protect the case. yikes! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.