Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

its

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
I need to fix my Growl.

Here's what happened.. Somehow while uninstalling Parallels, CleanmyMac poped up and deleted (what I think) some growl settings file

so when i open growl -- applications its empty. totally empty..

I don't know what files it deleted (didn't go into trash)

I do have time machine backup..

So.. I am not sure what files can I restore which will restore all growl settings back.. and shows the applications associated with it..

or if there is a log file cleanmymac creates which shows what files did it clean up on last run or something.. can't find such file either..

any help?

Last edited:

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Try trashing these and logging out

~/Library/Application Support/Growl/
~/Library/Preferences/com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp.plist

note: "~/Library/" means your home Library folder which is hidden. Hold option and select Library from Finder's Go menu.

its

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Try trashing these and logging out

~/Library/Application Support/Growl/
~/Library/Preferences/com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp.plist

note: "~/Library/" means your home Library folder which is hidden. Hold option and select Library from Finder's Go menu.

Thanks.. was looking for those locations.. just restored then and voila :)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I need to fix my Growl.

Here's what happened.. Somehow while uninstalling Parallels, CleanmyMac poped up and deleted (what I think) some growl settings file
One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. App removal software doesn't do a thorough job of deleting files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this.

The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

MrAdax

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2019
Thanks.. was looking for those locations.. just restored then and voila :)

I know this is an OLD tread, but I am having the same problem.

I have been running Growl and Tweetdeck for a long time on my MacBook Pro 2013, but I need to have the machine running 24/7, and that will after some time damage the battery.

Now I have bought an 2009 MacBook with an broken battery, that will be running on DC all the time, but, when I install the Growl, and TweetDeck, it does not show any applications in the window where the apps shows up, on my 2013 MacBook.

I tried to follow the steps above, but I can't see those folders in that location. I have tried to re-install Growl, restart the computer but no luck. Im running the same OSx, the same version of Growl and TweetDeck on both computers.

Any suggestions for a solution ?

Might be the wrong forum maybe, as I am running YoseMite on both Macs, but its anyways the same problem :)

MrAdax

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2019
As I understand there is some folders and txt-files that need to be installed, is that right? Does anyone have those files and folders ? I don’t have them, and I’m guessing that this might be the problem ..

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
I know this is an OLD tread, but I am having the same problem.

I have been running Growl and Tweetdeck for a long time on my MacBook Pro 2013, but I need to have the machine running 24/7, and that will after some time damage the battery.

Now I have bought an 2009 MacBook with an broken battery, that will be running on DC all the time, but, when I install the Growl, and TweetDeck, it does not show any applications in the window where the apps shows up, on my 2013 MacBook.

I tried to follow the steps above, but I can't see those folders in that location. I have tried to re-install Growl, restart the computer but no luck. Im running the same OSx, the same version of Growl and TweetDeck on both computers.

Any suggestions for a solution ?

Might be the wrong forum maybe, as I am running YoseMite on both Macs, but its anyways the same problem :)

If you bought Growl on AppStore then you won't see these folders. Instead, if you need these folders, you have to locate the folders ~/Library/Containers/com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp and ~/Library/Containers/com.growl.GrowlLauncher. Trashing them will effectively reset Growl. You mentioned you run Yosemite. If that's the case then check whether the option «Send notifications to Notification Center» is selected: it was introduced in the latest Growl version to provide compatibility with Mountain Lion and Mavericks for the applications that didn't support NC but supported Growl at that time: this would enable NC notifications for them (you can re-direct notifications for any app this way).

MrAdax

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2019
Thanks for your reply, and suggestion. I manage to trash those folders, and reset Growl. And I have enabled the "send notification to notification center", but still no luck.

I can click on "preview theme", and I get a message on my phone. And I do get Tweetdeck, either the app or the web-edition, to send a notification that ends up in the notification center, but Growl and Tweetdeck does not talk together... So when ever a notification comes from Twitter, it just shows up locally on my mac, but does not transfer into Growl to be sent to my phone..........
[automerge]1569000136[/automerge]
I have tried downloading it from the Growl website, but the newest version just sends me to app store, and the older ones is not on the site, and the links are dead.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
I have tried downloading it from the Growl website, but the newest version just sends me to app store, and the older ones is not on the site, and the links are dead.

Do I understand correctly that you possibly had an older version of Growl than the one that's on AppStore? If yes then you need to buy that version that's only available on AppStore. This is your best bet and the last resort of troubleshooting. I think the developers suspended development. I, personally, tried not to use Growl on any OS X newer than Mavericks.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Thanks for your reply, and suggestion. I manage to trash those folders, and reset Growl. And I have enabled the "send notification to notification center", but still no luck.

I can click on "preview theme", and I get a message on my phone. And I do get Tweetdeck, either the app or the web-edition, to send a notification that ends up in the notification center, but Growl and Tweetdeck does not talk together... So when ever a notification comes from Twitter, it just shows up locally on my mac, but does not transfer into Growl to be sent to my phone..........
[automerge]1569000136[/automerge]

Sorry for the late addition, but if, as you said, you run Yosemite then they updated their app several times in the course of this year. In these versions, they might have dropped support for Growl, so it appears you're receiving OS X notifications, but not those of Growl. You can verify it's the case by looking inside Tweetdeck's bundle for "Growl.framework": go to Tweetdeck.app/Contents/Frameworks/. If no folder named "Growl.framework" is there then Tweetdeck and Growl won't handshake with each other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.