Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeadstrongZodiac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
Hello all,

I bought an EVGA GTX 680, however it needs to be flashed. I have a grasp on how to do it, but i'd like to know one thing. If I install the 680 into my windows PC will I need to uninstall my AMD gpu drivers before installing the nvidia drivers and booting NVFLASH?

Thanks to anyone who can answer.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Why do you need to flash it?
It will work in a cMP out of the box.

Look at entry #20 in the list, there is a link with info for flashing (if you really need to)

HeadstrongZodiac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
Why do you need to flash it?
It will work in a cMP out of the box.

Look at entry #20 in the list, there is a link with info for flashing (if you really need to)
I'm flashing for the mac to have a boot screen. My specific model I bought won't display one without flashing.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Most people don't actually need the boot screen.
You are not losing any functionality.
You can swap OS versions to boot into from within the startup disk in system prefs if required.

HeadstrongZodiac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
Most people don't actually need the boot screen.
You are not losing any functionality.
You can swap OS versions to boot into from within the startup disk in system prefs if required.
I thought I needed a metal GPU to patch monterey via opencore, so I got a gtx 680. However what i'm trying to say is I would like to flash it to be able to flash monterey via a usb drive

HeadstrongZodiac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
Will I need to uninstall the drivers for the AMD card and install windows drivers for the 680 to install NVFLASH and a ROM for the card, or will I just be able to unplug the AMD card, slap the NVIDIA card in, install NVFLASH and everything, and go from there?

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Sorry, I have never flashed a GPU....☹️

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Will I need to uninstall the drivers for the AMD card and install windows drivers for the 680 to install NVFLASH and a ROM for the card, or will I just be able to unplug the AMD card, slap the NVIDIA card in, install NVFLASH and everything, and go from there?

You don't have to do those stuffs. Just swap the nVIDIA card in and flash.
If you are worried about messing up the Windows drivers, try Windows PE instead of the Windows version inside your PC.

You don't even have to install NVFLASH. It's a single executable file.
But you have to learn about nVFLASH command, as you will have to type the command with proper parameters yourself at the MS-DOS command line.
And I hope that you haven't forgot how to navigate to the proper folder containing the NVFLASH.exe file and the ROM file needed to flash using the change directory [cd] command, haven't you?

Just kidding, dosdude made a very detailed video about flashing the GTX680....

HeadstrongZodiac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
Hello all,

I recently learned how to open windows via bootcamp on my MP 3,1. However, I have an AMD based windows pc as well. What I want to know is if I can unplug my AMD gpu, plug in the GTX 680 I bought to flash for the MP, and not have to install NVIDIA PC drivers. dosdude1's youtube tutorial says it should be fine without installing windows drivers, but is it? And will the flashing even work if I have a ryzen CPU in my windows PC? (I also have windows 11 installed in my AMD pc.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.