Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
Update 2:

So I managed to get the Lion (10.7) installation going and it finished! But on startup, it hangs at the Apple logo and the circular loading icon. Why is it not working? I tried Terminal and doing fschk and it fixed some files, but still the same thing. I also tried Disk Repair and it found no issues with the SSD and files. Tried running Safe Mode (holding Shift button on startup), but it doesn't go anywhere.

Anyone run into this problem?

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
Update 3: Finally got a OSX to install and everything's working great, though it's only 10.6.8, I'm fine with that for the time being!

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
Okay, not to beat a dead horse, but anyone have CLEAR directions on how to update to 10.9 Maverick with a Late 06' iMac? Does it require the previous OSX version be on 10.8 as the first post says, or is that incorrect? I looked through the first few pages of this thread and there are no directions at all.

Thanks in advance!

jaysoncisme

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2016
Nashville
How will Mavericks run on a Macbook 4,1 with SSD and 4gb RAM?

I'm sure it will. I've got Mavericks 10.9.5 running pretty well on a Macbook that's the generation before yours (Late-2007 MacBook 3,1 with SSD and 4GB RAM.) Mine has the X3100 graphics card

Noticeable issues are all the ones mentioned in numerous threads.

-Video can be laggy/choppy sometimes
-Display brightness control doesn't work (so it's all the way up at all times)
-Machine freezes if it goes to sleep

After numerous attempts of my own to get Mavericks working, my suggestion to you is to make sure you have a clean, updated install of 10.7.5 on your machine. Then have an app store version of Mavericks (I used 10.9.5) in your applications folder along with the Mac Post Factor app. After installing Mavericks, run the maintenance apps in OSX Extractor found on osxhackers.net

That's what worked for me to have a useable Mavericks machine, at least
[doublepost=1459350142][/doublepost]
Okay, not to beat a dead horse, but anyone have CLEAR directions on how to update to 10.9 Maverick with a Late 06' iMac? Does it require the previous OSX version be on 10.8 as the first post says, or is that incorrect? I looked through the first few pages of this thread and there are no directions at all.

Thanks in advance!
I don't know if it will work exactly the same, but the smoothest way to get my 2007 Macbook to work with Mavericks is described in detail in my reply above

Jkj12

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2014
The seven seas
I'm sure it will. I've got Mavericks 10.9.5 running pretty well on a Macbook that's the generation before yours (Late-2007 MacBook 3,1 with SSD and 4GB RAM.) Mine has the X3100 graphics card

Noticeable issues are all the ones mentioned in numerous threads.

-Video can be laggy/choppy sometimes
-Display brightness control doesn't work (so it's all the way up at all times)
-Machine freezes if it goes to sleep

After numerous attempts of my own to get Mavericks working, my suggestion to you is to make sure you have a clean, updated install of 10.7.5 on your machine. Then have an app store version of Mavericks (I used 10.9.5) in your applications folder along with the Mac Post Factor app. After installing Mavericks, run the maintenance apps in OSX Extractor found on osxhackers.net

Thanks for the fast answer. I've tried to upgrade but I think my Mavericks file might be corrupted or something. I'm running 10.7.5 right now and I only want to upgrade because of the support. It just doesn't seem to be worth the trouble with the bugs you mention. I assume that the versions newer than Mavericks runs slower/with more issues on this old MacBook?

JAitch

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2016
I recently installed 10.9 on my Mac Mini 2007 using MacPostFactor 2.0.1 and for the most part, things are working well. I just have some questions/issues:

1. Wifi isn't working -- displays "No hardware installed" in the menu dropdown. I'm guessing this is a driver issue since wifi was working just fine on 10.8/MPF1.0. I've seen other mentions of this issue, but no workarounds. Does anyone know of a solution?

2. I've often heard that on this Mini 2007, 10.8 is the last OS to support graphics hardware acceleration. However, 10.9 has been working very well and not slow for me at all. There are some graphics artifacts every so often and VLC doesn't play video, but otherwise good performance. Compare this to 10.10/MPF2.0.1, which is very sluggish -- mouse moves super slow, windows open in slow motion, etc. Any idea why 10.9 is working so well? And why can't same be done for 10.10?

nicksilverstein

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2015
I recently installed 10.9 on my Mac Mini 2007 using MacPostFactor 2.0.1 and for the most part, things are working well. I just have some questions/issues:

1. Wifi isn't working -- displays "No hardware installed" in the menu dropdown. I'm guessing this is a driver issue since wifi was working just fine on 10.8/MPF1.0. I've seen other mentions of this issue, but no workarounds. Does anyone know of a solution?

2. I've often heard that on this Mini 2007, 10.8 is the last OS to support graphics hardware acceleration. However, 10.9 has been working very well and not slow for me at all. There are some graphics artifacts every so often and VLC doesn't play video, but otherwise good performance. Compare this to 10.10/MPF2.0.1, which is very sluggish -- mouse moves super slow, windows open in slow motion, etc. Any idea why 10.9 is working so well? And why can't same be done for 10.10?

Where did you get MacPostFactor 2.0.1? Isn't it still under development?

drh4kor

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2016
California, USA
Hello everyone,
Happy to report a working Mavericks install on iMAC 5,1 (ATI x1600) using MacPostFactor 1.0.1 from 10.7 (Lion).
[3GB RAM, 2.16GHz Core2Duo, EFI32] all the way to 10.8!! Happy ****ing Day!

"You need a new MAC!? My Ass!"
  • Backup to external HDD using TimeMachine. (Must DO)
  • Used a macbook pro (10.11) to get the Mavericks installer from Apple Store. (Huge 5GB download)
  • Moved Mav. installer from macbook to iMac via simple USB. Dropped on iMAC's Application folder.
  • Tried install with USB and got hung up a Apple Logo. (USB with GUID Partition Table)
  • Tried install to HDD but first boot didn't boot into HDD installer. (Left the installation USB plugged in anyway)
  • Accepted the "Legacy Video" warning.
  • After 2nd restart, the "OS X Hackers" boot logo appeared and the installation menu appeared.
  • Selected "Clean Install" from the options. Nice and clean system restore GUI from MPF.
  • After a reboot, the drive was prepared and was presented with the OS X installation prompt with all the user agreement blah-blah.
  • Skipped AppleID login and created a new local user.
  • First boot into Mavericks with working Wifi, BluTooth, Video. "Software Update" had some new software. :)
  • Before installing updates, restore original users from Time Machine backup.
  • Created a new Time Machine backup with Mavericks and restored users.
  • Reboot computer to install Maverick's first update.
  • Enjoy!

JAitch

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2016
I've had 10.9.5 running on a Mac Mini 2007 for a while now without many issues. Recently, though, the USB ports have stopped working. They work fine if I reboot into recovery partition, so don't think it's hardware related. I ran the "rehack" but that doesn't fix it.

Any idea on what could have gone wrong or how to fix the USB ports?

---

Update 2017/02/12: Rehack didn't work, so I went through reinstall (using installer created from MacPostFactor 2.0.1). Now USB is working again. Still not sure why it stopped working to begin with.

Last edited:

iamfredrik

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
Are you having any other issues running 10.9.5 on the Mac Mini? I'm thinking of upgrading from ML, but I would like everything, especially videos to run as smoothly as on ML.

JAitch

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2016
Are you having any other issues running 10.9.5 on the Mac Mini? I'm thinking of upgrading from ML, but I would like everything, especially videos to run as smoothly as on ML.

I use mine mainly as a headless server, so I can't really speak to its ability to play videos as smoothly as ML. If you have a USB drive with enough space, I would recommend making several partitions (at least one for a modified installer and one for 10.9) and running from that. If you find that it works well enough, then you can upgrade the Mini's internal drive. That's what I've done in the past.

Here are the unresolved issues I notice with 10.9 on a Mac Mini 2007:
  • No wifi, internal airport card doesn't seem to be recognized
  • Graphical artifacts when connecting to Mini over VPN. But I don't see these when connected to an actual monitor.

iamfredrik

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
How did you do that? I'd like to get wifi working again on this Mini.

I followed this video:

However, I think you should not attempt this until someone can confirm that it works with Mavericks. I can only confirm that it works with Mountain Lion.

JAitch

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2016
I've had 10.9.5 running on a Mac Mini 2007 for a while now without many issues. Recently, though, the USB ports have stopped working. They work fine if I reboot into recovery partition, so don't think it's hardware related. I ran the "rehack" but that doesn't fix it.

Any idea on what could have gone wrong or how to fix the USB ports?

---

Update 2017/02/12: Rehack didn't work, so I went through reinstall (using installer created from MacPostFactor 2.0.1). Now USB is working again. Still not sure why it stopped working to begin with.

Arg! And I'm back to non-working USB ports. Had to restart the Mini. Instead of starting normally, it went to the OS X Hackers recovery partition. Had to re-hack in order to get it to start properly. And now USB ports don't work.

Anyone have a clue as to how to get this resolved?

hbanko

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Hi Guys,

I want to install Mavericks on an old Core 2 Duo iMac (A1208). I have used SFOTT before to get Yosemite on my MacPro and it worked extremely well.

My problem with Mavericks is that I can get the Mavericks.app that SFOTT needs. Downloaded already a few ISOs and DMGs with Mavericks - but that doesn't help me. On my 3 year old Macbook Pro I am not able to download it from the Appstore, it was never purchased.

Do you guys know any place where I can get it?

vmk

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2017
Trying to install Mavericks as well, cause 10.8.5 isn't supported anymore although running fine for the last years. Because MacPostfactor failed installation of Mavericks (try's to create a Mavericks recovery at boot, but never finishes) I resorted to trying macOS Extractor. Although I made a mistake in that and forgot to choose the correct partition during installation of AutoPatch. So now I have accidentally installed AutoPatch on my current 10.8.5 partition. How big a problem did I create and how do I solve this problem? Can I simply boot into recovery and reinstall the MacPostfactor hacks of my 10.8.5? Or do I have to follow another route?

At the moment I don't dare to reboot my Mac, fearing it won't boot anymore.. So any help is much appreciated!

After I have fixed my mess-up, there is another little question. When trying to create a patched installer USB, I somehow have to copy my Mavericks.app towards that USB and or use an USB-creatortool for that, don't I? Cause the instructions don't mention that..

Last edited:

Mang0z

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

I have a bit of a complicated question: I have an old Mac Pro (1,1) that had an external drive setup as a bootable drive in order to run Mountain Lion Server. Recently I found that there was some sort of update to Apple's servers and due to the inability to receive Push notifications, my office has lost contact with the server.

I want to update from Mountain Lion (which is the final piece of software that was supported on the Mac Pro) to Mavericks but I do not know how to go about it considering instructions have not been for external bootable drives.

What are the best recommendations?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.