Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
I've a macbook 2,1 as well :) I'll follow your adventures as Im not happy with Lion.

there is an even easier way now. Feel free to message me
[doublepost=1568308762][/doublepost]
Hi,

I tried to install Mountain Lion on a MacBook 2,1 following the OSXHackers Method 1 with macOS Extractor. The Installer completes but it says that the system maybe can't boot because it can't set the startdisk disk. But it boots succesfully.anyway However installing the GMA950 drivers doesn't complete succesfully (the postinstall installation script fails - no further details in the log).

After booting the GMA 950 drivers are loaded fine though, but the dock is gone and checking Activity Monitor and the Console shows that the dock keeps restarting and crashing.

I have tried to start up in safe mode, tried to create a new user and reinstall the GMS850 package, but the problem persists.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
[doublepost=1564990970][/doublepost]Anyone have a working install image of Mountain Lion 10.8.5 for MacBook 2,1?

yes message me

lll490

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2019
Hi Everyone,
Did someone find a way to make iMessage work with MacPostFactor?
Thank you!

adb1973

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Amsterdam
FaceTime and iMessage are not working after a clean install on iMac 5,1
error: 'The server encountered an error processing registration'

Is there as of January 2020 actually af fix? (someone who has/got this working?)

What I tried so far:

- All(?) possible log in/out actions with my @me and my daughters @icloud Apple ID
- fresh 2FA code for general iCloud login used behind iCloud password
- App-specific password
- checkt hosts file (was pristine/normal/unaltered)
- reset PRAM
- used a terminal command with the iMac serial and a random 6 digit code
- call Apple Support with 'iCloud problem' while booted in 10.7.5 to no avail, they refused to actually help
- other (Dutch) people tried it on their machines, same error also on 10.7.5
- I today filed a support request @osxhackers to hear if it is permanent
- researched other MLPF versions 1.0.1 was the first one to work. 2.0.1 just bootloops. I don't think it's a MLPF/Extractor problem though
- Is there a way to get FT 3.0 from Mavericks working?

As can be seen I tried numerous options from the MacRumors threads and others, did I miss someting?

Strange findings in this quest:

1. On the Apple websites under requirements it states making FaceTime calls is possible from 10.7 and receiving them from 10.9.2.

2. It seems like FT and iMessage used to run on AOLs servers, like iChat, but if that's true or not it seems a server side problem Apple Support (who used to solve this according to a few threads) refuses to do anything about it.

@hackerwayne Maybe good to put it in a sticky if the failure is permanent/server side/unsolvable

Slightly off-topic question:
There's no solution/port for the x1600 driver (no Graphics accelaration) on 10.9+ is there? FT 3.0 on Mavericks works as expected (on other machine of course)

Reactions: lll490

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2018
Hello,
I'm putting this out there because I can find no useful information online. From my understanding, to run Mountain Lion on an unsupported Mac with 64-bit EFI, you need a patched boot.efi that supports booting the 64bit kernel (I know this is not required on Mavericks and newer). For an unsupported Mac with 32-bit EFI, you need a patched boot.efi as well, but a different one. I have tried using many different copies from multiple patchers with varying degrees of success. But there's one thing I haven't been able to find: Where the files come from. If anyone can track down two actual working files *and* where they come from (MacRumours post, GitHub repo, anything) I'd appreciate it. If you're a developer of some kind of patched boot.efi file, please contact me directly. Thank you.

Edit: Found out they were compiled from Piker Alpha's macosxbootloader repo on GitHub. Still having issues with them but I have located the source of them at least!

Last edited:

thanar

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2003
Kozani, Greece
Well, long time no see... It's surely been a while since I participated in any of the wonderful discussions on macrumors, must have been life lately. Anyway, with the outbreak happening, I thought I'd upgrade my old MacBook4,1 for my older kid, so I started looking around on how I could install at least Mountain Lion, since my prior experience with plain Lion was a bit awful.

Found out about this MLPostFactor that became MacPostFactor that became macOSextractor, all at the same time, tried all of them, but I can't seem to be able to make any of the above work.

Is there anyone on the forums that managed to install ML on a Macbook4,1 recently? Or someone who has an understanding on what's going on with this patch family?

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2018
Well, long time no see... It's surely been a while since I participated in any of the wonderful discussions on macrumors, must have been life lately. Anyway, with the outbreak happening, I thought I'd upgrade my old MacBook4,1 for my older kid, so I started looking around on how I could install at least Mountain Lion, since my prior experience with plain Lion was a bit awful.

Found out about this MLPostFactor that became MacPostFactor that became macOSextractor, all at the same time, tried all of them, but I can't seem to be able to make any of the above work.

Is there anyone on the forums that managed to install ML on a Macbook4,1 recently? Or someone who has an understanding on what's going on with this patch family?
You may be interested in one of my tools, macOS Patcher, which allows you to install up to macOS 10.15 Catalina on your Mac.

Reactions: thanar

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010

I just installed it a few minutes ago. I had the same issue before, but here's a link to the forum post that helped me, hope it helps you too!

Can't install Mountain Lion on an unsupported MacBook

It should automatically take you to the post but if it doesn't check post #6.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Here's a picture of it running on my computer.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 1.04.03 AM .png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 1.04.03 AM .png
    443.2 KB · Views: 506

thanar

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2003
Kozani, Greece
Here's a picture of it running on my computer.
Thanx for the reply. So you used MacPostFactor 1.0.1 in order to install Mountain Lion on your MacBook 4,1, am I correct? If so, what limitations have you experienced when compared to an officially supported computer?
[automerge]1586294858[/automerge]
You may be interested in one of my tools, macOS Patcher, which allows you to install up to macOS 10.15 Catalina on your Mac.
Thanx, Julian for the heads up! Is there a summary about your tool somewhere, or should I better dive deep into your repo through github?
[automerge]1586295202[/automerge]
Thanx, but dosdude's patches do not support MacBook 4,1 it seems...

Last edited:

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Thanx for the reply. So you used MacPostFactor 1.0.1 in order to install Mountain Lion on your MacBook 4,1, am I correct? If so, what limitations have you experienced when compared to an officially supported computer?
[automerge]1586294858[/automerge]

Thanx, Julian for the heads up! Is there a summary about your tool somewhere, or should I better dive deep into your repo through github?
[automerge]1586295202[/automerge]

Thanx, but dosdude's patches do not support MacBook 4,1 it seems...

For the most part it’s the same as using it with a normal supported computer. Granted, I haven’t used Mountain Lion in years so I don’t remember much, but I do know that MacPostFactor did do some things that I didn’t like. It installs a bunch of apps (the ones I found being an app that shows the MPF version number and an app that is supposed to turn glass dock on and off, though that didn’t work for me). I removed the apps, and the custom wallpaper it put in. I don’t know if it installed anything extra, but it (other than necessary drivers and such). The recovery partition is completely different, with the Apple logo on boot replaced with Mac Hackers or something. There’s hardly any control on how it installs and what it installs, and you don’t really know what it’s doing, and no documentation whatsoever, compared to say the dosdude patcher. If you tried that patcher you would see that you could choose what patches to install, and would go into deep detail of what each one does. The installed system honestly reminds me of some of the old Hackintosh distros.

But once it’s all running, it’s great; you could see that on the MacBook4,1 there wasn’t really any reason for it to not support Mountain Lion.

If you don’t mind getting your hands dirty, I’m sure you could just extract the required patches from the patcher and do it yourself, that might be more ideal. I might do that when I have time.

Compared to other versions of the patcher, I had tried a newer version before, but try as I might, I could not get anywhere, and the farthest I got was by manually modding stuff.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I thought I'd try to upgrade a MacBook 4,1 to Mountain Lion. Today I've tried MacPostFactor 2.0.1 and that failed. I've tried "macOS Extractor" and got the USB installer built but the MacBook won't boot from it nor will any of the fixes in their instructions make it work. I just tried MacPostFactor 1.0.1 and can't get past the waiting to click on "Skip Ad". I click on it, it disappears but the screen area goes white and it still says waiting for me to click on it.

The "Elementary OS" Linux distro is looking better and better!

Reactions: howardc64

aro8366

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2020
Yeah, me too.
MPF v2.0.1 and MLPF v.0.3 usb created installers dont work :-(
MPF straight to disk install on lion boots into osxhackers installer and then i get unkown error

As I was typing that I suddenly remember I had troubles when installing official capitan lately and only solution was to change system date.
I'll try this right now
[automerge]1587580167[/automerge]
I thought I'd try to upgrade a MacBook 4,1 to Mountain Lion. Today I've tried MacPostFactor 2.0.1 and that failed. I've tried "macOS Extractor" and got the USB installer built but the MacBook won't boot from it nor will any of the fixes in their instructions make it work. I just tried MacPostFactor 1.0.1 and can't get past the waiting to click on "Skip Ad". I click on it, it disappears but the screen area goes white and it still says waiting for me to click on it.

The "Elementary OS" Linux distro is looking better and better!
As for MPF not working i had to try two computers and a fresh install of the app. Sometimes it's crashing randomly.

aro8366

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2020
Worked:
What worked for me:
1.two partitions: Lion and partition destined for install of ml.
2.I choosed osx installer
3.Everything gone well, didnt had an error at the end - it had installed with patches in place already - I don't know why I didn't had to apply them.
I have made myself a backup of installed ML32bit
I will try to post a dmg onto torrents or something - its basically abandonware now so F* off with piracy comments XD

Reactions: caenne

lll490

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2019
Hi Everybody! If anyone have a solution to make iMessage work on MLPostFactor 0.3 10.8.5 on an iMac 2006 I take it ?
Stay safe!

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
I missed getting myself a copy of the Mountain Lion App Store installer. I have a .dmg file instead. On an older Mac running Snow Leopard, I am able to see my purchase history of other installers I can download. I want the Mountain Lion installer for MacPostFactor though. Am I out of luck?

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Well it turns out my .dmg has what appears to be a Mountain Lion App Store installer tucked away inside it. When I mounted the .dmg, I simply dragged the contents (4.45GB) into my Applications folder. MacPostFactor recognizes it.

I am having trouble with using MacPostFactor though. I may not be understanding what MPF is doing. It is to help me create a bootable USB installer or is it to help install the Mac OS X on an existing drive?

What I got on my first attempt (External USB drive) wasn't much and it ended very quickly. I figured something went wrong.

On my second attempt, I copied my MacPostFactor and Mountain Lion installer over to my Snow Leopard drive, booted from it (Mac mini 2,1) and then repartitioned the new internal SSD drive I want to install Mountain Lion to. I launched MacPostFactor. My customized options were to use the Apple Mac OS X installer and to create a Recovery Partition. I was not able to change other options. I selected Mountain Lion and the destination drive.

It seemed to be doing a lot more this time but it too ended after less than 10 mins. Since no Mac OS X install goes that quickly, I knew there was still something wrong. It reported no problems and then gave me the option to restart. It restarts to a drive with the name "Create Recovery on drive Mount". Hmm.....ok....what about the rest of the OS?

It spins for a bit, then boots up Snow Leopard instead. Maybe something wrong with my Mountain Lion installer. I will try Mavericks just to see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
No go on that either. I read further back into this thread about using older versions of MPF like 1.01 or even MLPostFactor. Unfortunately, these both require a minimum of OS Lion to run.

Sigh.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
No go on that either. I read further back into this thread about using older versions of MPF like 1.01 or even MLPostFactor. Unfortunately, these both require a minimum of OS Lion to run.

Sigh.
Are you unable to install Lion on the computer somewhere (internally or otherwise)?

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
I found a solution to getting Lion installed using the Target disk mode feature. It was really quite simple. I'm not sure if Mountain Lion has anything beyond Lion that I care about at this stage. The GUI changes started with Lion and that is what I wanted to improve upon over Snow Leopard.

Not sure if I can jump right into updating to 10.7.5 yet (currently have 10.7). I will need to read up on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.