Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
from that link

these builds require a valid PowerPC compiler toolset. The PowerPC port is in an extremely early state, don’t expect these to work.

Compiling Haiku for Apple hardware
Apple PowerPC hardware is starting to age. There was quite a bit of work on PowerPC code, however given the large amount of reliability issues with Apple PowerPC hardware and the large hardware cost, PowerPC development has slowed.

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2017
Hi weckart,

I've followed HaikuOS development and it has been a very slow one from
alpha to beta.
But it's a very light weight OS and very small size and with modern software.
It's also a descendant from BeOS an original OS for Apple ment for optimized performance.
Maybe it could be either as a VM in VPC or as a full OS a better alternative than linux.
They also take "bounties" for specific work so maybe "we all" can fund the development of the
ppc port :D

Best regards,
voidRunner

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Ahhh, BeOS / Haiku. Used them both wayyyyyy back in the day along with QNX. The only major issue i can see is *if* a ppc boot cd can be made, is that every other piece of software would have to be rebuilt for ppc, and that's a lot of work. I'll keep an eye on it. :)

Cheers

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
I honestly can't see this going anywhere, as even x86 development is being done at a snail's pace.

Reactions: wicknix

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2017
Hi sparty,

I don't have the same opinion. Yes it's been slow but so as Morphos and it's still here.
And they are only getting funded to develop it by "fans", I think if they had more they could have done it
faster. Not easy to develop a complete OS with no money ;)

They are also doing the arm port for it and that one is being worked on especially for
the raspbery pis :D .
Now with the power9 systems ( talos, a-eon, etc ) there could be more interest in it.
Bellow is the link to the port status page.

https://www.haiku-os.org/guides/building/port_status

Best regards,
voidRunner

Reactions: mePy2 and sparty411

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Hi sparty,

I don't have the same opinion. Yes it's been slow but so as Morphos and it's still here.
And they are only getting funded to develop it by "fans", I think if they had more they could have done it

They are also doing the arm port for it and that one is being worked on especially for
Now with the power9 systems ( talos, a-eon, etc ) there could be more interest in it.

Best regards,
voidRunner
I still have BeOS running on a PowerMac 9600. There were precious few apps and drivers for PPC compared with x86 even though PPC support predated Intel. Due to contractual issues, it never made it to the G-series of Apple processors nor any Apple laptop.

There are sadly only a handful of developers for Haiku as it stands, hence the glacial progress of development. We are basically only just about where BeOS stopped 20 years ago.

I don't think this is a trivial venture and am not holding my breath.

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
Hi sparty,

Best regards,
voidRunner
I'd be more apt to throw money at it, if it weren't a single user OS. Running every program as root seems like a bad idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.