Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galapas

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
hello, in Yosemite it worked fine on my computer using the patch , but in Capitan 10.11.1 gives me the following error :

Verifying Bluetooth version... /Users/sergio/Downloads/Continuity-Activation-Tool-master/Continuity Activation Tool.app/Contents/Resources/contitool.sh: line 357: [: 6

4: integer expression expected

NOT OK. Your hardware doesn't support Bluetooth 4.0, necessary for Continuity Current LMP Version=6

4, expected 6. Aborting.

any help? Thank you

Same issue for me.

evilness

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2015
Leeds / UK
hello all,
I have early 2009 Mac Pro and wanted to refresh it a little bit. Considering Mavericks made my magic mouse very laggy and annoying, I've found that using external dongle would help with the issue. I thought of taking advantage of the Continuity feature in Yosemite. I'm not looking to upgrade to El Capitan yet.

I have obtained one of the recommended dongles, http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007MKMJGO?&tag=rnwap-20

At first Continuity Tool wouldn't go through, it was getting stuck o permissions repair for ages, to eventually throw out some error. I disconnected the BT on the main board, tried again an all went great. Reboot, sign off from icloud on all devices, all rebooted, signed in on all devices, keychain authorised everywhere, rebooted. All connected to the same wifi.

Running:
mac pro 4.1 (10.10.5) with GMYLE BCM20702
iphone 6 (8.4)
ipad 4 (9.0.2)​

System report is showing the following:
Bluetooth Low Energy Supported:Yes
Handoff Supported:No
Instant Hotspot Supported:No
Manufacturer:Broadcom
Transport:USB
Chipset:20702A3
Firmware Version:v14 c4096
Bluetooth Power:On
Discoverable:Off
Connectable:Yes
Auto Seek Pointing:On
Remote wake:On​

Airdrop works ok, but handsoff checkbox not showing up in General Settings.
I tried to play with the icloud multiple times, restarted everything many times as well.
No good.

Prior I made an upgrade to my GPU to GTX 960. Would that conflict?
I did quite a lot of research and I can't think of anything else.
Can anyone advice please?

rjsmith1999

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2015
Background info (you can skip this if you want):
I'm pretty sure I read through all 34 pages of this thread to find an answer to my question, and I can't seem to find any information about this.
I have a 24" Early 2008 iMac that was pretty awesome in 2008, but less so now. I'm planning on replacing the hard drive with a nice new Samsung SSD soon. I figure that if I was going to go through all the trouble of taking the computer apart, I might as well update to bluetooth 4.0 while I'm at it.

I know I need a new card because my Computer doesn't support the direct wifi technology that Airdrop/Handoff requires (not even the old AirDrop will work)
After looking around I realized that the 2008 iMac actually appears to have 2 cards: One for wifi that uses PCI and another for bluetooth with a separate connector. NOTE: this information is from ifixit for the 20" iMac, because the 24" doesn't have any info on wireless cards.

GlBCKwNRnYiZBVbJ.medium

F6VYKfqVJ4a3YRXg.medium

My actual question:
I know I need an adapter to covert the new Broadcom card's mini-PCIe to the iMacs PCIe slot. I plan on using this adapter with this card. But what do I do about the current Bluetooth card? Just ignore it? If I plug the antenna attached to the current Bluetooth card into the new card, with the iMac just magically switch to using the Bluetooth off the new card? Do I need to change anything (drivers/kexts?) to get the new card to work?

Has anyone done this upgrade on a 2007/2008 iMac that can share any information on what adapter they used and how it works?

sega dude

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
What are my options for a MacBook (Late 2009)? Is a USB dongle my only option, or is there an internal card I can install?

vcayenne

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2016
Early 2011 MBP 13" running El Capitan beta [10.11.4 Beta (15E33e)] with a Gmyle Bluetooth dongle and Continuity is working beautifully.

JCR0

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2015
OP Table not completely accurate for MacBook Pro models

The OP says (fantastic work, by the way) in the table:

There is no available BT/WiFi card with BT4.0LE for some of these models.

[...]

For the 15" unibody MacBookPros, the 2009 models also have the card in the hinge. I suspect this is true for the 17" as well.

However, for the 15" mid-2010 the card can be replaced with the BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX. But this is not true for the 17" as the OP already indicates.

[...]

Just want to note that this is incorrect: the card is NOT in the hinge on the mid-2010 MacBook Pro 17 (6,1), and I was able to upgrade to the CAX card and get Continuity and Handoff working fine.
[doublepost=1456838367][/doublepost]
I just noticed in the iFixIt comments that someone said:

"Just a note for anyone looking at this guide with a MacBook Pro 17" mid 2010 model (2.6GHz) - this is the wrong guide for your laptop! Search for the MacBook Pro 15" mid 2010 Airport board replacement guide instead. The card is located on top of the optical drive rather than in the bezel - something i found out the hard way when following this ;)"

So I can only assume that the one shown in the guide is newer e.g. a 2011 model and that's the one it's not compatible with?

Having said that, the airport card shown in the guide that's apparently correct for the Mid 2010 17" only has 3 antenna holes not 4, and the holes are in different locations, so I think it still would not work even for that.

Just want to note that I was able to upgrade my mid-2010 MacBook Pro 17 (6,1), to the CAX card and get Continuity and Handoff working fine. You do either need to modify (file) the existing bracket or purchase one from a later 15" MacBook Pro to make the connectors line up properly. The connector positioning means that the existing ribbon cable is slightly too long. You can either fold it or purchase the proper cable along with the card.

applCore

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
What hardware is needed specifically for a Mac Pro (Mid 2010) to make CAT work with 10.11? I had a BT dongle working just fine previously, but with the 10.11 update, it no longer works and I get an incompatibility message from the most recent CAT release.

rgranger

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
Houston
What hardware is needed specifically for a Mac Pro (Mid 2010) to make CAT work with 10.11? I had a BT dongle working just fine previously, but with the 10.11 update, it no longer works and I get an incompatibility message from the most recent CAT release.
The last update that would work with my dongle is 10.11.4 (and the beta 4) I tried a beta 5 and it didn't find the dongle and reported no hardware. Now that 10.11.4 stable is out I am sticking here for a bit.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Just want to note that this is incorrect: the card is NOT in the hinge on the mid-2010 MacBook Pro 17 (6,1), and I was able to upgrade to the CAX card and get Continuity and Handoff working fine.
[doublepost=1456838367][/doublepost]

Just want to note that I was able to upgrade my mid-2010 MacBook Pro 17 (6,1), to the CAX card and get Continuity and Handoff working fine. You do either need to modify (file) the existing bracket or purchase one from a later 15" MacBook Pro to make the connectors line up properly. The connector positioning means that the existing ribbon cable is slightly too long. You can either fold it or purchase the proper cable along with the card.

How stable is it? I know with a dongle, there's a bit of unplugging and re plugging to get things working

verdejt

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
Central Florida
No you don't. SMS and call forwarding does not require Handoff. It works older older Macs and iDevices which don't have low power Bluetooth. SMS will only work once I devices are upgraded to iOS 8.1 (out Monday).

How do I get continuity to work on a Mid-2010 iMac 27". I purchased the IOGEAR GBU521 Bluetooth adapter but when i run Continuity Activation Tool the script runs then t only sees the built in bluetooth adapter and tells me that I need to upgrade my Bluetooth card. Looking for information to get this to work. Thanks in advance.

axd1152

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2016
Hello!
I have 13 inch late 2008 aluminium macbook. What are my options?
I've found this 2-in-1 wifi+bluetooth card on ebay that is indicated to be Mac Os compatible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150Mbps-USB...469492?hash=item25c09041f4:g:-G4AAOSwbsBXkcml

Do you think this will work to get all the new features to work on my old machine? I've installed Sierra on it, as well as installed 6gb ram and 256gb ssd. So, it's still a strong machine for me, but I really want to be able to use airplay, continuty, hand off, newly introduced in sierra same buffer for all devices.

Since my model has the adaptor build in the hindge of the screen, I think I can not repace it with the one shown on the first post of the thread. Am i right?

Johnatr

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2016
I have provided all the info you may need below
Currently (with no modifications),
-Cellular Calls, and SMS and MMS work
-Handoff, Universal Clipboard, Instant Hotspot, Auto Unlock DO NOT WORK

I am interested in getting ""Airdrop, handoff and clipboard"" to work
here are my questions:

1) Can I just get a dongle for this to work? do i need anything else other than just a dongle?

2) If i unplug the dongle and plug it back in, any problems? do i have to restart the OS?

3) would a wifi card work better? or less problems? or just the same?
I have no problems occupying a USB all the time.

4) I am confused on which card to buy, if I would buy one
Apple M8881LL/A AirPort Extreme Card or BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX

5) do i need to downgrade my OS?

6) do you need any additional info?

7) would Airdrop, handoff and clipboard all work?

I have an early 2011 MBP 15"
I just upgraded to OS Sierra

on this site
https://github.com/dokterdok/Continuity-Activation-Tool
in the compatibility List it says
it works with either dongle "OR" new Airport extreme card

but then
AirPort Extreme card upgrades
it says
MacBook Pro early 2011 to late 2011 (all models) Yes, new wireless card BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX Yes

also
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/handoff-breakdown-with-activation-tool.1803192/
by UncleSchnitty

cMacbookPros: Early or Late 2011(all models) - Requires new blutooth/wifi card and Modified Kext

so wifi card or dongle?

My system Diagnostics::

--- Hardware/OS checks ---
Verifying Continuity status... OK. OS X reports Continuity as inactive
Verifying Mac model reference... OK. Known compatible Mac Model detected: MacBookPro8,2
Verifying Mac board-id... OK. Long board id detected: Mac-94245A3940C91C80
Verifying OS X version... Warning: This tool wasn't tested with OS X versions higher than 10.10. Detected OS version: 10.12
Verifying Wi-Fi hardware... OK. A Broadcom AirPort card is active, and uses the legacy Brcm4331 kext. This tool can fix this.
Verifying AWDL status... OK. No AWDL is active, but the hardware seems to be able to support it. This tool can try to fix this.
Verifying Bluetooth hardware... OK. The internal Bluetooth card is active
Verifying Bluetooth version... NOT OK. Your hardware doesn't support Bluetooth 4.0, necessary for Continuity. Current LMP Version=4, expected 6.
Verifying Bluetooth features... OK. Bluetooth features are currently not compatible with Continuity. This tool can try to fix this.
Verifying Bluetooth firmware... OK. Bluetooth firmware version: v42 c847
Verifying Login Item... OK. Login item for Auto Continuity Check is not set.

--- Modifications check ---
Verifying OS kext protection... OK. Kext developer mode is not active. This tool can fix this.
Verifying SIP... NOT OK. System Integrity Protection is still enabled
Verifying ContinuitySupport... OK. This tool can fix this.
Verifying kexts readability... OK. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth kexts were found and could be read
Verifying Wi-Fi whitelist status... OK. Your board-id is not yet whitelisted. This tool can fix this.
Verifying BT4 dongles compatibility... OK. Compatibility with BT4 USB dongles is not enabled, this tool can fix this if a dongle is plugged in
Verifying old Wi-Fi kext presence... OK. Legacy Brcm4331 Wi-Fi driver is present. This tool can fix this.
Verifying legacy Wi-Fi card patch... OK. The legacy Wi-Fi patch is not present. This tool can fix this.
--- Modifications check ---
------

Haedennn

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2017
I just ordered the same adapter for my late 2011 MBP. Hope I have as seamless an experience as you did. :cool:

Edited to add: Just received the adapter. Connected it to my MBP, ran the activation tool, and everything is working as it should. :cool:

Did the IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter, GBU521 allow for the handoff to work for your machine with the factory wifi card?

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
From what I've gathered, it appears CAT needs to be run on a Mac Pro 5,1 with the bcm94360cd Bluetooth LE 4.0 card in order to whitelist this model for Instant Hotspot and Handoff to work in macOS Sierra. No such whitelisting was necessary under Yosemite and El Capitan. Two questions:

1. What caused the Mac Pro 5,1 and/or the bcm94360cd to be blacklisted in the first place under Sierra?
2. Unless macOS 10.13 causes a widespread trashing of all older Macs not sporting SSDs, what are the prospects of CAT being used in macOS 10.13 in order to at least maintain current Continuity/Handoff features? Are there any plans to create a newer version, if necessary, that may run in the upcoming OS?

ebernet

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2005
Seattle, WA
I see a lot of confusion as to whether CAT has been updated, will be updated, works with hardware, etc...

I imagine the pace is slowing down now that subsequent OS updates pretty much rely on MOSTLY supported hardware, so going forward I predict (and see) much less support. Specifically, a machine like mine (early 2008 Mac Pro, no longer supported in updates beyond El Capitan).

What I HAVE found however, is starting with later versions of El Capitan and the supported hardware card (replacement Broadcom Wifi AC and BT 4.0 card, see many comments above), CAT is NO LONGER NEEDED AT ALL.

Not sure at what point it happened, but I just got a new iMac and am setting up my old trusty Mac Pro at a server, and wiped it clean only to install only what is needed and clean (1st time in 10 years, and it itself was a migration of another machine). I replaced the hardware WiFi BT combo card over 2 years ago.

I always needed CAT to see the Handoff setting in the General System Preference. No longer. Both that screen and the System Profiler denote all is good. When I run CAT diagnostics it tells me there are a few things it can fix - ignore this. DO NOT INSTALL CAT on a clean install of 10.11.6 on a 2008 Mac Pro (3,1). Not installing it everything works, installing it you WILL have issues. This is what you will see in the system profiler. You are good to go! At least Apple left us with a gift for that Mac when they sunsetted it with the support for the replaced chipset...

Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 4.4.6f1 17910

Hardware, Features, and Settings:

Bluetooth Low Energy Supported: Yes

Handoff Supported: Yes

Instant Hot Spot Supported: Yes

Manufacturer: Broadcom

Transport: USB

Chipset: 20702B0

Firmware Version: v118 c9123

Bluetooth Power: On

Discoverable: Off

Connectable: Yes

Auto Seek Pointing: On

Remote wake: On

Vendor ID: 0x05AC

Product ID: 0x828D

HCI Version: 4.0 (0x6)

HCI Revision: 0x23A3

LMP Version: 4.0 (0x6)

LMP Subversion: 0x4176

Device Type (Major): Computer

Device Type (Complete): Mac Desktop

Composite Class Of Device: 0x380104

Device Class (Major): 0x01

Device Class (Minor): 0x01

Service Class: 0x1C0

Auto Seek Keyboard: On

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
As far as I can tell, CAT was NEVER needed with the replacement Broadcom Wifi AC and BT 4.0 card in El Capitan. But, as far as a Mac Pro 5,1 goes, it was certainly needed in Sierra and, presumably, will be needed in High Sierra.

ethanstiles

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2017
i have a mid-2011 21.5" iMac:
wifi card; Firmware Version: Atheros 9380: 4.0.74.0-P2P
bluetooth is on a separate board; Manufacturer is Broadcom

i'm thinking of getting a BCM943602CS or BCM94360CD Airport card to replace the current wifi and bluetooth cards i mentioned.

I'm just not sure about where to attach the the antennas on the new card; there are four antenna cables in my imac three that go to the wifi card (one with no stripes, another one stripe and two striped) and one that goes to the bluetooth board. I'm thinking J0 goes with no stripe, J1 with 1 stripe and J2 with 2 stripes and leaving the bluetooth antenna disconnected. If i got the BCM94360CD card i think i would have to route the bluetooth antenna to that card (J3) with a pigtail cable like this one: https://goo.gl/1C3yJu. Would it better to use the BCM94360CD card and extend the bluetooth antenna or get the BCM943602CS and just use the three cables that are already connected to the Atheros wifi card by converting them (https://goo.gl/5D82bX)

The last thing i don't know is do I have to do anything about the USB D+/D- in my model and if i do how and where would i connect it?

Thanks!

Airport Card- https://goo.gl/HanJUh

Last edited:

Hastyr

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2017
I have a late 2011 17" Macbook Pro, I just had the motherboard replaced (by Apple) and they reported the installed bluetooth card (a BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX) had a bad cable - and they replaced the cable and the card with new ones (BCM94331PCIEBT4AX) which of course broke continuity support.

I purchased another BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX and installed it and the Mac wifi works fine, but it doesn't see any bluetooth. CAT reports Bluetooth = 0, and system information says: "No Information Found" under the bluetooth tab. I bought a 2nd BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX and it gives the same error.

I put the original BCM94331PCIEBT4AX back in bluetooth works great again.

It appears the new motherboard is refusing to recognize the BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX. Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.