Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wildmanjohn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
Greenville OH
Ok, so I'm pretty new with Mac and I'm constantly having to search for answers to my questions and issues. I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro 13" non retina. I've upgraded it to 16GB ram and it has a 500GB sata. I've yet to find a place where I really get the help I need, which is why I'm here with me current issue. I'm running out of hard drive space. I did a really stupid thing and sync'd three google drive accounts then used a file sync program in an attempt to get photographs from the other google accounts. In hine sight I should have simply downloaded the other google accounts manually. Anyway, I have since disconnected from the other two google accounts and only have my main one. I have a major problem now with duplicate photos. My duplicate file finder is not finding them because the duplicate has (1) at the end of the name. Now with all that going on I think I got a virus. I downloaded a tool and when I ran it it flashed a terminal window on the screen and then went away and nothing happed. My mac has been running really slow now, I opened a terminal window and hit the up arrow to see the last command put in and it showed me ~ % /Volumes/Install/.hidden/Install.command ; exit. I think it was some kind of osascript.sh but i'm 'not sure what i'm even talking about. I think I need to backup my data as best I can an do a clean install. I don't have any issues with staying on Catalina but I've read High Sierra would be best on my hardware. I've installed a few different apps not all from the mac store, like Antivirus One, Cleaner One, Combo Cleaner, CCleaner, Disk Drill and Sync Folders. Im nervous because last time I did a clean install it came back up with Lion and I had to call Apple Support to get me on El Capitan so i could get past 2FA and log in with my iCloud. I went into the disk utilities and found something strange. There are two volumes name Macitosh HD now listed under the main physical drive. This happened after upgrading to catalina. Is that a problem? Pleas help because i'm overwhelmed and don't no what to do or where to start.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 8.16.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 8.16.07 PM.png
    170 KB · Views: 393

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Wall of text.... hard to read. However, some advice: Get rid of all your AV software, CCleaner, and Combo Cleaner. You're not running Windows any longer. None of that is needed. Also, Catalina normally divides your drive into two containers (partitions). One is read only (system files), the other is your user folder which you have write access to.

Reactions: MSastre and chabig

Wildmanjohn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
Greenville OH
So I have the duplicates resolved and the photos all the photos backed. I think I'm ready to do a clean install of MacOS. What version should I go with. I have read that High Sierra runs best on they older hardware but it last security patches and I should run Mojave. or do I stay with Catalina?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.