Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The only viable way to remove it is to just swipe the notification away as you would normally do. From what I've seen that usually does it until do not disturb is turned back on. I really hope Apple will add an option to disable this in the future.

Maybe in iOS 12.1 Beta 2. ;)

You can slide the DND notification to the left and clear it, then it doesn't come back.
Seems like it can come back on its own at times even after being dismissed.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
The reason we are stuck with this is because of all the people who were too dense to realize their phone was in DnD and were complaining everywhere they could that their phone was broken. Allowing you to turn off the notification sticks Apple with the same problem. So I'm not expecting them to allow you to blanket disable it.

There's an icon for that. :)

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
You can slide the DND notification to the left and clear it, then it doesn't come back.
Actually it does come back usually after an hour that you swipe it away. It’s pretty lame to have on the iPad. I understand for the phone I guess. But not the iPad. I’m shocked they didn’t put it on the watch with how you intrusive it is.

Gameboy70

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
I don’t care for it either, as I do similar with my multiple devices, but I can see and understand why this new pop up is here and the value that it can hold for many people who temporarily use DND and forget to end it, or mistakenly turn on DND.

Obviously the good for the many far out weights the fact some of us don’t “like” it. If it had been there from day one you wouldn’t know any different.
The persistent banner is probably mandate from Apple's legal department to short circuit liability issues for missed notifications. I disagree that it would be a nonissue if it had been there from the beginning. People have been complaining about the lack of a silent alarm option from day one, for example.
[doublepost=1538515147][/doublepost]
Seems like [a status icon] might not be enough for enough of the typical users.
But a banner that can be swipe and dismissed for the rest of the day would be an adequate compromise.

Last edited:

Dsterno52

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2018
Motown Adjacent
When I enable DND I get a persistent Lock Screen message or note that says: DND is activated and will not allow calls or notifications. How do you get rid of this message, you can swipe left on it and clear it, but it keeps coming back over and over again.
Same here. I have a nice pic of my grandkids for my lock screen. Instead of their smiling faces I only see the black bar with that dnd message. GO AWAY!

Reactions: synergize

Lillia

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2018
I keep my iPad on Do Not Disturb all the time, because I don't want to receive notifications on it. I'd like to see them on the screen when I pick it up, but I don't want the iPad "Going off" randomly; I'd rather get those notifications on my phone.

The pictured notification keeps appearing and I have to keep dismissing it; it's annoying. Is there a way to make it go away permanently while leaving Do Not Disturb on? Or am I cursed to see it forever?

View attachment 776443

Read this whole thread.

I was having the same problem bc I never take my phone off DND and tried something that seems to have temporarily worked.

On the banner, slide it over but don’t let go. Instead of clicking Clear, keep long sliding it with your thumbs alllll the way to the left. It’ll disappear on its own without you clicking. For the past hour of locking and unlocking my phone, it hasn’t popped up again, praise the Lord!!! I’m sure it’ll turn on again after restarting my phone but I rarely do that, so if that’s all I can get for now, I’ll be happy.

Hope that’s more helpful!!

Last edited:

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Read this whole thread. These people are really dumb, sorry they were being rude and not answering your question or simply not being helpful.

I was having the same problem bc I never take my phone off DND and tried something that seems to have temporarily worked.

On the banner, slide it over but don’t let go. Instead of clicking Clear, keep long sliding it with your thumbs alllll the way to the left. It’ll disappear on its own without you clicking. For the past hour of locking and unlocking my phone, it hasn’t popped up again, praise the Lord!!! I’m sure it’ll turn on again after restarting my phone but I rarely do that, so if that’s all I can get for now, I’ll be happy.

Ugh the moment you turn off DND an turn it back on the banner pops up.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Read this whole thread. These people are really dumb, sorry they were being rude and not answering your question or simply not being helpful.

Sliding it all the way to the left is basically the same as clearing it (the slide action invokes that clear action), which comes with this same limitations as those that were discussed in some of the earlier posts in relation to clearing the notification.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Last month I submitted a suggestion via the Feedback that they should provide an option for this. Perhaps submit one too. Hopefully they will at least consider it.

Hopefully so. I mean I get why they likely did it, too many folks turning up saying their phone is busted but they just had the setting on. But those of us that aren’t clueless should be able to opt out of the warning

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
Can someone tell me whats so hard about just swiping away one notification? Sure it doesn't need to keep appearing everytime its turned on, but good god the slightest things about anything Apple is bound to extract salt from someone..

Reactions: scouser75

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Can someone tell me whats so hard about just swiping away one notification? Sure it doesn't need to keep appearing everytime its turned on, but good god the slightest things about anything Apple is bound to extract salt from someone..
I think part of it is that it doesn't just reappear any time you turn it on again but even just simply later on its own. So if you have DND enabled and clear the notification an hour or two later it's back on its own without you changing or doing anything.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
It’s not hard, I like my very expensive smartphone to make things even easier though (and not make things harder than they used to be)

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
I think part of it is that it doesn't just reappear any time you turn it on again but even just simply later on its own. So if you have DND enabled and clear the notification an hour or two later it's back on its own without you changing or doing anything.

Mine has never done that once.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Because swiping it away doesn’t make it stay away. It comes back on its own, as others have mentioned.

garlandk77

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2019
There are 2 methods to remove the DND notice from the lock screen:

Method 1:
Tap or press on the DND notice until it turns white, then tap on the X.

Method 2:
Swipe the DND notice to the left, then tap on Clear.

The notice will not appear again as long as DND remains continuously ON.

However with each method, the notice will return if DND is turned OFF and then turned ON again.

I don't want the DND notice to appear because I have a custom lock screen with my contact info in case the phone is lost. The DND notice covers up my contact info.

The methods above work well for me because I keep DND on almost continuously to avoid spam calls. In the DND settings under Allow Calls From, I have specified All Contacts. This allows calls to ring from anyone in my Contacts, but all other calls go to voicemail. I only turn DND off if I'm expecting a call from someone not in my Contacts, which rarely happens.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There are 2 methods to remove the DND notice from the lock screen:

Method 1:
Tap or press on the DND notice until it turns white, then tap on the X.

Method 2:
Swipe the DND notice to the left, then tap on Clear.

The notice will not appear again as long as DND remains continuously ON.

However with each method, the notice will return if DND is turned OFF and then turned ON again.

I don't want the DND notice to appear because I have a custom lock screen with my contact info in case the phone is lost. The DND notice covers up my contact info.

The methods above work well for me because I keep DND on almost continuously to avoid spam calls. In the DND settings under Allow Calls From, I have specified All Contacts. This allows calls to ring from anyone in my Contacts, but all other calls go to voicemail. I only turn DND off if I'm expecting a call from someone not in my Contacts, which rarely happens.
Sounds like another alternative in your case might be to update/adjust your custom lock screen wallpaper so that the contact information appears a little lower, leaving some space for the DND notification.

CB555

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2014
I keep my iPad on Do Not Disturb all the time, because I don't want to receive notifications on it. I'd like to see them on the screen when I pick it up, but I don't want the iPad "Going off" randomly; I'd rather get those notifications on my phone.

The pictured notification keeps appearing and I have to keep dismissing it; it's annoying. Is there a way to make it go away permanently while leaving Do Not Disturb on? Or am I cursed to see it forever?

View attachment 776443
I didn't like the DND notification, either. After reading some of the posts here, I tried sliding left. I did it slowly and all of a sudden I saw the option to "clear." I clicked on that and the notification went away. So far, it has not come back. Very happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.