Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaikidan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
Today I was watching snazzy labs video about Mac apps, and he mentioned Vanilla, it's basically Bartender a little more simpler but at least free, if you just want to uncluttter the taskbar it does the job, or if you know any other app that does the with more functions (and free) I`m open to suggestions.

Vanilla Website

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
Today I was watching snazzy labs video about Mac apps, and he mentioned Vanilla, it's basically Bartender a little more simpler but at least free, if you just want to uncluttter the taskbar it does the job, or if you know any other app that does the with more functions (and free) I`m open to suggestions.

Vanilla Website

Yes, I have used Vanilla. It's an easy to use app to manage taskbar and what appears permanently, as option, or hidden. I didn't need all functions of Bartender. However found that I had to often reselect what taskbar items appear - not sure if this changed if apps got updates?

Edited to add that Vanilla is free, but some of the useful features are in Pro version which is a few dollars/euros. But still much cheaper than Bartender. However, really do consider that this basic functionality should be built into Mac OS...

Last edited:

embotix

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2016
I actually bought the Pro version to celebrate my new 16" MBP. However, I've been struggling with some occasional UI hang-ups, in some cases so bad I have to force shutdown/reboot. I think it's possible that Vanilla might be part of the issue? I've temp removed for now to see if I can isolate 100%, and using Console.app to monitor.

Has anyone else experience UI stability/stutter issues and suspect Vanilla?

qap

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Italy
Im using the Pro version since some months and it's okay, it has only a bug with Dark-Light mode (the menubar remains the old theme for some seconds) but is not a trouble for me (I don't change often the theme) and is cheaper than Bartender.

RobinNL

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
World
Works really well but looks weird when the toolbar disappears:

Anyone else have same problem. Using vanilla (not pro)

111290BC-1A12-4550-8270-8318D49E37B2.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.