Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
+1 For Spy

For long time MR members (im talking about the span from the beginning to around 2006 before the iPhone explosion to the forum) the spy was a memorable addition in the progression and history of MR.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I've used Spy daily for years!

Me too. I preferred the older Spy to the most recent implementation, with its annoying bloop-bloop-bloop piecewise update that took a full minute to populate the complete page.

I hope something similar comes back. It was a great way to see what's catching people's attention.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
@arn Not to be a pest; but any update?

Unfortunately the one similar plugin wasn’t really the same... so we’d have to get it custom developed if we want it back. So it’s down the list of priorities at the moment.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Unfortunately the one similar plugin wasn’t really the same... so we’d have to get it custom developed if we want it back. So it’s down the list of priorities at the moment.
That's too bad.

I really miss the one we had on vBulletin. That particular one had a very nice behavior to how it scrolled by.

Reactions: arkitect

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
That's too bad.

I really miss the one we had on vBulletin. That particular one had a very nice behavior to how it scrolled by.

Ya that one was written by someone who was a forum / irc member but don’t think he’s that regular now. It was the better version.

arn

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Ya that one was written by someone who was a forum / irc member but don’t think he’s that regular now. It was the better version.

arn
May I suggest forwarding him or her a page to some laxatives or fiber supplements? Jokes aside, you can hire a developer in the XF customer lounge area.

xodh

macrumors demi-god
Apr 14, 2015
Manchester, England.
Too bad as it was really useful, but do understand. Hopefully, one day... Keep up the good work.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Ah well. We'll learn to adapt and live without a spy. :)

I've tried, but I haven't adapted well at all

I used the mod from @sammich for the Spy and it was fantastic for keeping up with the Forums and blocking ones I didn't want to see
The layout was great and easy to read and navigate
I kept a tab opened and visible on my screen all day at work and at home and could check at a glance to see what was going on

Now... I hardly even visit any more
Hard to teach on old dawg new tricks

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

I used the mod from @sammich for the Spy and it was fantastic for keeping up with the Forums and blocking ones I didn't want to see
I kept a tab opened and visible on my screen all day at work and at home and could check at a glance to see what was going on

Yeah, I used @sammich mod as well and loved it. All hope isn't totally lost as @arn said the spy isn't' dead yet, just delayed.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Is there a way to merely have the "new posts" link auto refresh every minute or so?

I have found manually refreshing that page is giving me mostly what I appreciated about spy....being trending tops across the forum

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
It means fewer views.
Agreed.
My use of MacRumours has gone way down. Mind you, that is just me… but the Spy was a great way tp engage in current posts… now it is a bit of a crap shoot and I have to go and look for things.
So I end up not visiting as often.

Anyway… such is life.
[automerge]1573322639[/automerge]

Same here.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I know it's not the same... but try this on for size.

Doesn't reload. it would be nice if reactions could be filtered. But give me feedback

Reactions: SandboxGeneral
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.