Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2008
I recently replaced my iPad and wiped the old one without deleting my Magic Mouse 2 or Magic keyboard from the old one. I’m trying to pair them to my new iPad (a 10.5” pro) and I’ve gotten the keyboard to connect but the Magic mouse isn't being as cooperative. Ive followed the usual instructions (which worked perfectly with pairing with my old iPad) but the iPad won’t find my mouse when I’m trying to add it under switch control. Could the mouse still be looking for the old iPad, and if so, any ideas as to how I can reset it?

Any help is appreciated!!

Reactions: JhnsSch

JhnsSch

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
My initial response is just: ”Don’t.”

However, try this: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/reset-magic-mouse.1585637/post-22292001

I would be curious to hear what your specific use-case for the Magic Mouse on iPad is, so I’m looking forward to hearing more about that. (I have some spare Magic Mouse, so if there is a way to make it work and you can shed some lights on practical use cases, I’d be glad to consider it.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I recently replaced my iPad and wiped the old one without deleting my Magic Mouse 2 or Magic keyboard from the old one. I’m trying to pair them to my new iPad (a 10.5” pro) and I’ve gotten the keyboard to connect but the Magic mouse isn't being as cooperative. Ive followed the usual instructions (which worked perfectly with pairing with my old iPad) but the iPad won’t find my mouse when I’m trying to add it under switch control. Could the mouse still be looking for the old iPad, and if so, any ideas as to how I can reset it?

Any help is appreciated!!

I just paired an old Magic Mouse (1st gen) to my iPad Pro and needed to reset the mouse to get it to work. To do that, you need to hold the mouse so that you’ve got the click mechanism clicked, while powering it on. The light should flash once it’s on and it should show up on your iPad as an available Bluetooth device.

Reactions: JhnsSch

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I'm sure it's been covered elsewhere, but the issues with the Magic Mouse are more to do with OS you have. It isn't the mouse itself. A YouTuber who did an extensive series on what devices work with the iPad has been covering this since his Magic Mouse stopped working.
Hopefully this answers any questions.

Reactions: I7guy

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
A follow up from the same YouTuber. He seems to have noticed that the latest update has completely disabled the Magic Mouse & I am guessing Trackpad as well. He's guessing it has something to do with Apple's supposed new keyboard/trackpad coming for iPads.

Reactions: The Game 161

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
A follow up from the same YouTuber. He seems to have noticed that the latest update has completely disabled the Magic Mouse & I am guessing Trackpad as well. He's guessing it has something to do with Apple's supposed new keyboard/trackpad coming for iPads.

Great video just as the new iPad Pro’s with trackpad rumours start

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.