Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Aside from the fact that I'm not interested, I really CAN'T participate in this sort of thing because wearing something like that headset or even special AR glasses is not an option for me due to bilateral atresia and microtia. I am not alone in this, and all I can do is hope that as technology progresses and they get into this AR thing more and more that they don't completely eliminate resources that some of us CAN use.

I agree. I too hope the tech doesn't squeeze us all out. For example I don't use a cell phone as the screens are way too small. My outside communication is now only written. I now use huge monitors. a2

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I assume that captioning will be included as part of this new technology, and that will be helpful to a lot of hearing-impaired people -- those who can actually wear the headset or special glasses.... As I mentioned earlier there is a narrow percent of us who will not be able to benefit because we cannot wear the headgear or the glasses, even though, yes, if we could, most would do just fine with captioned everything as part of their AR experience. All we can do at this point is wait and see and hope that those working on this technology now will come up with solutions that will work for everyone.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2015
England
Another Deaf person here but no hearing aids etc. I born Deaf.

Lot technology use voice control etc and I little worried they focus too much on that mean Deaf people get left out. It depend speech because not all speech can understand from voice control.

So far Apple been really good for access like captions/subtitles. Seem their new Apple TV+ have captions/subtitles that good. Many streaming services don’t have them until many years later. No idea if Netflix have them or not (never subscribe them). They defo didn’t years start.

Reactions: a2jack

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Another Deaf person here but no hearing aids etc. I born Deaf.

Lot technology use voice control etc and I little worried they focus too much on that mean Deaf people get left out. It depend speech because not all speech can understand from voice control.

So far Apple been really good for access like captions/subtitles. Seem their new Apple TV+ have captions/subtitles that good. Many streaming services don’t have them until many years later. No idea if Netflix have them or not (never subscribe them). They defo didn’t years start.

Because of the syndrome with which I was born, my speech is not clear, and any technology that utilizes voice control and such is useless to me. For that reason I don't use Siri on my iPhone, I don't have any voice-controlled devices at all in my home. Like you, I am concerned that there is too much focus on all this fancy voice-control technology, which indeed leaves a segment of the population out -- those who cannot speak for various reasons or whose speech is not clear and distinct.

I haven't watched anything yet on Apple TV+ although I did sign up for it and get the free year's trial since I bought an iPhone 11 Pro in October. That's good that they are offering captions/subtitles -- this will be appreciated by many users!

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I suffer from hearing loss, I was in the army for over 40 years, due to loud bangs and being on rifle ranges for a long time has resulted in severe hearing loss. Money was set aside for veterans to buy hearing aids. Because of bad advertisement and bad management, it seems that the money has run out and my claim (as well as others) has been put on hold.

I decided that I would put quality of life first and bought some hearing aids after trialing 3 different types from an Audiologist in Ripon, I settled on some from Widex, not cheap at about £4K.

We are quite social and I was left out of conversations, not through choice, the background noise just turned everything into one noise. One can only say "pardon" twice and then, if one doesn't hear on the 3rd repeat, one guesses by facial expression. Those that have trouble hearing know exactly what I mean. I can hear again in restaurants etc, it is wonderful.

I also love listening to music on a good sound source, my hearing aids have the facility to be able to be turned off instantly from my phone, the difference is unbelievable, so, so much better, deeper and wider soundstage, symbols flicked with a brush suddenly appear in the sound as do other instrumental sounds previously unheard.

What I will say is this, certainly to UK readers, I am lucky and was able to afford them and am delighted, even if you cant afford the high end aids, go to a doctor and get free NHS hearing aids, it will change your life if your hearing was as bad as mine.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
I suffer from hearing loss, I was in the army for over 40 years, due to loud bangs and being on rifle ranges for a long time has resulted in severe hearing loss. Money was set aside for veterans to buy hearing aids. Because of bad advertisement and bad management, it seems that the money has run out and my claim (as well as others) has been put on hold.

I decided that I would put quality of life first and bought some hearing aids after trialing 3 different types from an Audiologist in Ripon, I settled on some from Widex, not cheap at about £4K.

We are quite social and I was left out of conversations, not through choice, the background noise just turned everything into one noise. One can only say "pardon" twice and then, if one doesn't hear on the 3rd repeat, one guesses by facial expression. Those that have trouble hearing know exactly what I mean. I can hear again in restaurants etc, it is wonderful.

I also love listening to music on a good sound source, my hearing aids have the facility to be able to be turned off instantly from my phone, the difference is unbelievable, so, so much better, deeper and wider soundstage, symbols flicked with a brush suddenly appear in the sound as do other instrumental sounds previously unheard.

What I will say is this, certainly to UK readers, I am lucky and was able to afford them and am delighted, even if you cant afford the high end aids, go to a doctor and get free NHS hearing aids, it will change your life if your hearing was as bad as mine.

T

That is good news to hear, literally. LOL

What brand did you finely keep. Got a link ? a2

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I have age-related hearing loss that kept getting worse. No surprise there.

Although I have some hearing aid coverage in my Kaiser plan, it was only for the expensive hearing aid places (the $5K-$6K kind).

So I went across the island to Costco where there were certified audiologists with what seemed to me more sophisticated equipment than at Kaiser.

I ended up paying about $2,500 for Phonak's Costco model, and I've been happy with them. True, I can't compare them to anything else, because they're the only ones I've ever used.

But I have a name-brand device fitted by an audiologist for half the typical price.

So I suggest looking into Costco. If you're not a member, you'll have to join.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2015
England

I don’t wear aids anymore and not for years but when I used wear them when I was child NHS been quite good and they do usually give children top hearing aids with modern technology and even allow you choose colour of hearing aids (plus ear moulds too). I have no idea how NHS like with hearing aids now if they still same or better or worse because I do not wear them anymore. Also adult don’t quite get same treatment like children have. I think adult have less choice.

Hearing aid do nothing for me so there no point me wearing them (it different when I child because I have no say if I want wear them or not).

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I have age-related hearing loss that kept getting worse. No surprise there.

Although I have some hearing aid coverage in my Kaiser plan, it was only for the expensive hearing aid places (the $5K-$6K kind).

So I went across the island to Costco where there were certified audiologists with what seemed to me more sophisticated equipment than at Kaiser.

I ended up paying about $2,500 for Phonak's Costco model, and I've been happy with them. True, I can't compare them to anything else, because they're the only ones I've ever used.

But I have a name-brand device fitted by an audiologist for half the typical price.

So I suggest looking into Costco. If you're not a member, you'll have to join.

I have a friend in America, she swears by COSTCO, if I was there, so would I.

T

That is good news to hear, literally. LOL

What brand did you finely keep. Got a link ? a2
I kept the ones from Widex (Evoke), they just seemed to suit me best.
[automerge]1574028528[/automerge]
I don’t wear aids anymore and not for years but when I used wear them when I was child NHS been quite good and they do usually give children top hearing aids with modern technology and even allow you choose colour of hearing aids (plus ear moulds too). I have no idea how NHS like with hearing aids now if they still same or better or worse because I do not wear them anymore. Also adult don’t quite get same treatment like children have. I think adult have less choice.

Hearing aid do nothing for me so there no point me wearing them (it different when I child because I have no say if I want wear them or not).
Yes, if they dont work for you, that is fair enough. I will still urge those that have impaired hearing to give the NHS a try if they can.

Last edited:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
People in the UK are lucky to have the NHS and the possibility of getting hearing aids free of charge...... In the US, many people who need hearing aids may not be able to afford them and insurance companies often do not provide any coverage for them. Children are covered up to a certain age (21 or 22, I think), and after that, as adults they are left to pay for them on their own. Medicare (for those who are 65 and over, or who qualify for Social Security Disability benefits) does not cover traditional hearing aids but I have heard that there is the possibility that in the future it will begin providing at least some funding. If one is using something other than a standard hearing aid, such as a bone-anchored sound processor, because that involves a minor surgical procedure, implanting a small titanium screw, and the sound processor itself is considered part of a prosthetic device, Medicare will cover 80% of the cost, which is a huge help.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
People in the UK are lucky to have the NHS and the possibility of getting hearing aids free of charge...... In the US, many people who need hearing aids may not be able to afford them and insurance companies often do not provide any coverage for them. Children are covered up to a certain age (21 or 22, I think), and after that, as adults they are left to pay for them on their own. Medicare (for those who are 65 and over, or who qualify for Social Security Disability benefits) does not cover traditional hearing aids but I have heard that there is the possibility that in the future it will begin providing at least some funding. If one is using something other than a standard hearing aid, such as a bone-anchored sound processor, because that involves a minor surgical procedure, implanting a small titanium screw, and the sound processor itself is considered part of a prosthetic device, Medicare will cover 80% of the cost, which is a huge help.

My friend who lives in Doylestown PA, swears by Costco and the hearing service they provide. Still not cheap though.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Not everyone has a Costco membership nor are they in a location where the store is convenient for them. Aside from that, if one's hearing loss is primarily due to aging and not complicated, I imagine it could be a possible alternative to obtaining hearing aids from an audiologist who is connected with a medical practice or an audiology clinic in a teaching hospital. Regardless of where and how one does get the hearing tested and moves forward with purchasing hearing aids, yes, it's still expensive, especially without insurance coverage. Some insurance companies in the US do offer limited hearing aid coverage but others don't.

Reactions: daveathall

jordii

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
I am grateful to be able to say that despite my struggle, most people don't know that I wear hearing aids -- meaning, the fact that I have a deficit isn't glaringly obvious.

I'm in the process of being fitted for the first time (Widex Evoke, fwiw), and I was thinking along those lines until I realized, thunderstruck, that I've been wearing an intrusive metal-and-plastic medical instrument on my nose and ears since childhood which tells the entire world that I have a deficit.

Without my glasses, I'd have died ages ago. But not only are they not a big deal (though they completely alter my appearance), but I'm deliriously happy to know that, for example, trees have leaves.

Now I'll enjoy that acuity in my hearing? Awesome! More perception-boosting gadgets, please!

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
[automerge]1575376964[/automerge]
I'm in the process of being fitted for the first time (Widex Evoke, fwiw), and I was thinking along those lines until I realized, thunderstruck, that I've been wearing an intrusive metal-and-plastic medical instrument on my nose and ears since childhood which tells the entire world that I have a deficit.

Without my glasses, I'd have died ages ago. But not only are they not a big deal (though they completely alter my appearance), but I'm deliriously happy to know that, for example, trees have leaves.

Now I'll enjoy that acuity in my hearing? Awesome! More perception-boosting gadgets, please!

I have the Widex Evoke and find them to be fabulous.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I've had a hearing loss involving high-frequency sounds on my left side since almost forever. The theory is that I lost those frequencies as a result of a brain bleed when I was about two, but no one really knows. At the time of my (first) stroke, they didn't have brain scans to diagnose, and I didn't have a vocabulary to explain a change in my hearing. The old bleed was discovered when I had an ischemic stroke in 2013.

My hearing loss is considered mild, but as you guys know, consonants are in the high frequencies, so not hearing them well does affect how well you can hear what others say.

I'm on my third hearing aid - this one is a Starkey rechargable - I think it might be the Muse IQ. I like being able to pop it on the charger each night when I go to bed and not have to worry about batteries. It can also take regular batteries, so I can use those when I travel.

The national health plan in Norway pays for a hearing aid every six years, no co-pay.

KImono Gryphon

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
Oxford, Pa.
I have tinnitus that developed about 5 years ago, and mild vertigo that has subsided to a point where I usually don’t notice it, but nothing that requires aides so far.
I also have moderate vertigo, hearing loss (About 40% left on left side, and tinnitus in both ears which never stops.

I have heard of some hearing aids that have settings where they can cancel out the tinnitus? And I was also wondering about the cordless . ear pods and any of the settings they could use to help us hear better.

And wondered of any app that is in the IStore that I can use with my Iphone 11 and use that as a hearing aide, as I cant afford the insurance now for them...

Reactions: a2jack and Huntn

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
I have both age and loud noise environment hearing loss, (airplanes/chain saws/etc). I have hearing aids, but i need such high volume that they are always just below the point of osculation.

I am testing a number of devices, and lash ups, to do exactly what you want out of your i phone. However, my audio source is the headphone output on an Oculus Quest VR head set.

I have tried Blue tooth, FM radio transmit devices, all sorts of headphones and ear pods, but all failed. One exception was to separate the right and left stereo channels and use a mono ear pod for each ear. This improved my sound perception by (estimated) 40%.

I ordered a mini amp, but it arrived D.O.A. So, while i wait for a replacement, I am looking at mini sound frequency equalizers (or EQs for short). I envision an EQ, to Mini amp , to ear pod set up. ALL tiny units.

I'll have about a $150 in this setup, but it should work for my phones and music players as well as my VR use. I'll post my results. LOL. a2 Pix of tiny amp below.

IMG_1975 (2).jpg

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Here is the magic box (EQ) I ended up buying. It works great for our streaming movies TV and music. Just plug it in to the TV headphone jack, plug in your headphones, and away you go.

Unit is made by 'behringer' and costs $90 on Amazon. It acts as a precision, fully adjustable hearing aid for in home use. Ac powered, no batts. Too big for your pocket at 10.5 inches. LOL

Streaming sound varies widely as do actors voices. Many programs run an under current of low base sound to add tension, as most of us have lost our high frequency response, this base sound can cover and distort the mid range stuff we can hear. Solution: turn the low base rumble off.

As for the high frequency's, you can choose and set levels based on actors voices and your own comfort levels. Each TV show or movie may require different settings. (Some, I shut down the very highs. (squeeky voices, etc.)

To sum up: I have had this device for a week, and I am hearing my entertainment audio again after many years of struggling through bad-bad sub titles. Worth every dime for that alone. a2
IMG_1996 (1).jpg

Last edited:

jordii

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Veteran freelance and recording musician here. If that works for you, a2jack, that's awesome. I'm truly glad it does, and my comments are not for you but for onlookers.

9 bands of EQ is a joke. That's very coarse adjustment. And the unit's cheapness means noise is introduced at multiple junctures. Low noise is especially important when you're fooling with EQ, because every bit of signal boost (i.e. raising a slider) also boosts noise. Especially on the high end, where most people need boost.

This is a VERY cheap and sloppy alternative to phones/buds offering custom hearing profile/correction (e.g. Nura, Even H4, etc). Or you could look at it as a step up from the familiar three buttons (low/mid/high). Really, I think you'd do better passing the sound through your smart phone and adding EQ via third party app.

But this is no kind of hearing aid. a2jack misunderstands what hearing aids do (as nearly everyone does). Hearing aids don't supply a full spectrum of sound, like an ear bud. They just fill in the missing frequencies (more expensive/higher quality ones fill in extra specifically/narrowly). It's frosting, not cake. That's why hearing aids don't spur the jubilant reaction of your first eyeglasses - where all of a sudden everything's as it should be. You need to adjust to hearing the same sound as ever, but with added spritzes of the missing parts. It takes a few days, and it's subtle. You only really notice the difference when, after that adjustment period, you toggle them on/off and experience the gut punch of how crappy your hearing actually is.

Most hearing-deficient people wait 7 years before reluctantly buying a hearing aid. In this age where everyone's dangling devices on their earlobes (in fact, it's considered cool and stylish), I truly don't understand the reluctance. I have the best, most expensive, most low profile ear bud of anyone I know - and can bluetooth podcasts or music any damned time I want.

Note: even a high-end hearing aid isn't as effective as top quality profile/correction headphones or ear buds when it comes, specifically, to home theater. I take off my hearing aids and put on my nuraphones when I listen to music or watch movies.

Again, a2jack, I sincerely wish you well with your solution, and am not trying to talk you out of it or shame you for it. I'm just warning others.

Here is the magic box (EQ) I ended up buying. It works great for our streaming movies TV and music. Just plug it in to the TV headphone jack, plug in your headphones, and away you go.

Unit is made by 'behringer' and costs $90 on Amazon. It acts as a precision, fully adjustable hearing aid for in home use. Ac powered, no batts. Too big for your pocket at 10.5 inches. LOL

Streaming sound varies widely as do actors voices. Many programs run an under current of low base sound to add tension, as most of us have lost our high frequency response, this base sound can cover and distort the mid range stuff we can hear. Solution: turn the low base rumble off.

As for the high frequency's, you can choose and set levels based on actors voices and your own comfort levels. Each TV show or movie may require different settings. (Some, I shut down the very highs. (squeeky voices, etc.)

To sum up: I have had this device for a week, and I am hearing my entertainment audio again after many years of struggling through bad-bad sub titles. Worth every dime for that alone. a2 View attachment 889580

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Some people have never had normal hearing and hearing aids may or may not be effective for them. In my case, since I use bone conduction and am not affected by nerve damage or other issues, my hearing levels can be close to normal with proper sound processors. Others are not as fortunate, if there is some sort of nerve damage in the ears and tinnitus to boot, and in those situations hearing aids can only do so much and at times are probably more frustrating than useful.

NO hearing aid or sound processor can be as good as actual normal hearing, and although technology has come a long way, we still are plagued by issues with too much sound pouring into the aids in noisy situations or with location of where sounds are coming from. Using bilateral aids helps a lot in those situations, better than wearing just one aid, but this is still problematic.

I agree about using good headphones when listening to music and at home I do just that, take off my bone-anchored sound processors and use my After Shokz bone-anchored headphones, which while not ideal, are still pretty effective. I've also tried various "cans" (over-the-ear headphones) but in a lot of those I cannot adjust the volume sufficiently to meet my needs. When out-and-about, though, I'm tickled to be able to use my bone-anchored sound processors to wirelessly enjoy my music from my iPhone in my pocket or purse.

Last edited:

jordii

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Clix Pix,

I did not recommend headphones. I recommended a very specific thing: phones/buds offering custom hearing profile/correction (e.g. Nura, Even H4, etc). Regular headphones and earbuds won't help hearing disability. The type I'm talking about will do so, beautifully and better than $7K hearing aids (which are engineered for versatility).

And I'm not suggesting everyone get hearing aids. I'm suggesting that everyone who NEEDS hearing aids not delay, because in their case they can help a lot. The fact that they help some sorts of hearing disability less, or not at all, is irrelevant, and doesn't need to be mentioned, because an audiologist will let you know and adjust expectations accordingly. People who actually need hearing aids don't need further discouragement.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Jordii. Yes, very true, it is a low cost hearing hack. However for those of us without insurance backing to cover the hearing industry's obscene profit margins, these approaches become necessary.

The purpose here was to inform my fellow hearing impaired folks that this cheap system may help them, at least for watching movies on TV.

I am an RF guy, but I do get the jest of audio tech. :) In my appellation the main function I was looking for is select frequency attenuation. This I got, and it works well for me.

This, and the post above, are all about working around the industry driven, artificial, high cost of hearing loss. We need to hear about more low cost work-a-rounds for us all to try.

As a true audio guy... What do you have that we can try ? :) a2

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Since I knew nothing about the Nuraphone I took a look just now at their website. Very interesting! However, I noticed that there was a disclaimer that they might not be as effective if someone is deaf or hard-of-hearing (presumably the hearing profile established is not as accurate).

Also, apparently these things are not as I had assumed at first glance, over-the-ear headphones; they actually have ear tips inside which then go into the user's ears. That's how they establish the sound profile and also how they deliver the sound. Very cool! However, that would not work for me, since I have bilateral atresia and microtia. I'll stick with my bone-conduction After Shokz!

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Jordii. Interesting read on both those ear-pod sites. But price wise a bit high.

Blue tooth is defiantly out, and the online testing is dependent upon what you are using to hear it in the first place. LOL

I also do VR and today Ill check out the EQ on my Oculus Quest and report back. a2

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Reporting. The Quest did not have enough audio power to drive the EQ. It worked, but low level output.

The Quest factory $60 right/left earbuds are the best so far. Hmm !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.