Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

from now on

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2019
Base 13' mid 2010 MBP, original (not tech savvy) owner. Modifications: new cooling fan and 2 new 4gig ram sticks I installed 3 years ago. MBP works great and would like to keep till 10.13 is history. Need to save a few pics on HDD if posable (no time machine etc.).
Problem: Endless restart loop, this started 20hrs ago when the MBP froze up while on Youtube and attempting to use Startpage at same time. Un-froze for a second while clicking on Dashboard and then completely froze in Dashboard. Hit and held power button to power off which it did, then tapped power button to start back up, loads up half way then restarts and repeats endlessly, half loads & restarts.
I believe the cause was the latest 10.13 patch I downloaded on Aug 1st-2nd, then was prompted to dl another patch maybe 3-4 days later, which I found strange, but still did so.
The only command that seems to work is cmd+alt+r , from there using first aid on HDD results in error, stops midway.
Reinstalling 10.13 can't be done because the HDD is locked when asked where to place OSX. Apparently hitting "enable journaling" may unlock HDD but it simply won't let me hit it, dull image, no link.
Hoping to save them pics stuck in there and keep her going till some new keyboards come along, plus -fingers crossed- new MagSafe and no dingo dongle dangles. Any advice on what to try next? Thank you.

Last edited:

from now on

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2019
If by chance you can get started in "Single Use Mode" (hold down Command+S during system boot),
Then maybe try repairing the boot drive by following these instructions.
http://osxdaily.com/2013/08/07/how-to-repair-a-mac-disk-with-fsck-from-single-user-mode/
Hi, Command+S brings up the black screen followed by scrolling text which stops after 2 seconds of auto scrolling, stays static for 10 seconds, begins to auto scroll again for 2 more seconds, then the system reboots and continues the same restart loop.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.