Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2019
California
I am looking at purchasing the 16 inch MacBook Pro. I currently have a early 2011 MacBook Pro. It has given me zero problems over the years. The only issue I am having now is it is working really slow and takes forever to start up and load programs like Excel. I have been extremely happy with it and want to go with a Mac again.
Current Mac
Early 2011
2.2 GHz Core i7
16 GB memory
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

I expect to use the computer for office applications, Excel and Word, and possibly some photo editing, web, video watching. I use Window for work so I may want to run Windows on the new Mac (I haven't done any research on the best way yet).

What configuration do you think is best for me?
I always think about over building so that I can get a long life out of the computer. Any opinions on this?

TIA!!
Dobs

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
Keeping a 2011 going for that long is admirable. Did you switch the internal HDD to SSD in it yet? Not sure how supportive the 2011 is for upgrading to a "speedy" SSD (likely SATA 2 I guess?) -- I'm a little outside my expertise on that model. For the work you're doing, you might get even more life out of it if you haven't done so already.

Also, good deals now on MacBook airs and the 13" macbook pro models. If you're not doing super intensive work, you might get just as much life out of those machines. Be prepared, though, to purchase a bucket-full of dongles if you want to keep your same peripherals wth your new rig. THAT is one change with Apple that has not been welcome.

I would definitely try the different keyboards on the machines in the stores before making a commitment. New MacBook Airs and 13" & 15.4" pros have the "last stand" butterfly keyboards (for better or worse) and the 16" has the refreshed "scissor-style" keyboard. You may like some or none of them.

I'm not sure of the resolution on your 2011, but the retina screens offer incredibly more real estate in a compact size if you're willing to go to slightly smaller fonts + scaling. I've found I can get a way with a smaller screen than I think I need by taking advantage of the higher resolution screens.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
For less than $100, you could greatly speed up the 2011 by swapping out the original platter-based hard drive for an SSD. But, after 8 years, it will still only give you "so much".
This is an easy upgrade -- ANYONE can do it with a couple of cheap tools. Go to ifixit.com to see what's involved. Pretty much just take off the back, change the drive, put the back on again.

Nevertheless...
I think you'd do just fine with the "base model" 16" MBP. After 8 years, "it's time".
If you can "hold out" just a little while longer, perhaps there will be some some good sales around New Year's.

Dobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2019
California
Keeping a 2011 going for that long is admirable. Did you switch the internal HDD to SSD in it yet? Not sure how supportive the 2011 is for upgrading to a "speedy" SSD (likely SATA 2 I guess?) -- I'm a little outside my expertise on that model. For the work you're doing, you might get even more life out of it if you haven't done so already.

Thanks for replying! I think it was just luck. I am hoping the next one will last as long. The only upgrade I made was to add ram. Other than that it has been a great little computer.
I went ahead and bought a stock 16 inch i7 from Costco this weekend. I'm sure I could have gotten more time out of my old Mac but I gave in and bought a new one.
[automerge]1575908561[/automerge]
For less than $100, you could greatly speed up the 2011 by swapping out the original platter-based hard drive for an SSD. But, after 8 years, it will still only give you "so much".
This is an easy upgrade -- ANYONE can do it with a couple of cheap tools. Go to ifixit.com to see what's involved. Pretty much just take off the back, change the drive, put the back on again.

Nevertheless...
I think you'd do just fine with the "base model" 16" MBP. After 8 years, "it's time".
If you can "hold out" just a little while longer, perhaps there will be some some good sales around New Year's.

Thanks! I might do that to fiddle around with it. I gave in a nd bought a new one. I went with the stock model i7 16 inch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.