Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manyelski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Hi all so I have this charger for about two yers now since I had the iphone x and was working fine but with 11 pro max it is sloooooow, so was thinking of upgrading. Please tell me, to a noob, what specs to look for when buying a new one. Thanks

Attachments

• 409ED067-0DCE-4B73-967F-CE87FB425EAC.jpeg
    409ED067-0DCE-4B73-967F-CE87FB425EAC.jpeg
    602.9 KB · Views: 190

jw76

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2016
Hi all so I have this charger for about two yers now since I had the iphone x and was working fine but with 11 pro max it is sloooooow, so was thinking of upgrading. Please tell me, to a noob, what specs to look for when buying a new one. Thanks
Apple only support 7.5w fast charging for Qi wireless charging. I use a Mixx charge chargespot for charging my pro max. Words really well. You need a qc3 wall charger to get the most from it though.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
The lack of transparency in the industry (Apple is not alone), as well as shifting sands, is making things difficult for users.

Apple tightened up the requirements for their 7.5W "fast" charging profile with iOS 13.1.

You need to search for a charger that supports the Extended Power Profile (EPP).

Qi is an open standard, just like USB is, but manufacturers are piling on their own proprietary methods for faster charging, which while sanctioned (PDDE), does not help the consumer.

It's a repeat of the wired situation where QC, PD, and a litany of other fast charge standards from the Chinese brands put the onus on users to sort out which combination will achieve the desired goal.

The best you'll be able to do is note whether a charger you may be interested in is said to fast charge iPhones, and then engage in some trial/error to see if that claim is true. Few, if any, use the technical terms like EPP in their marketing, so you'll have to independently verify that, and hope that Apple, Google, Samsung, and the like haven't changed the rules in the meantime (or the future), and it works.

If it doesn't prove to, send it back, and make clear that the reason is because it doesn't live up to the claims.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr.C
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.