Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eustachio

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2019
So, I don't need convincing, but my partner does.

Currently we have 2 pixel 3s and with Google Fi pay $85 per month including phone payment that finishes in 11 months.

I want to switch to the iPhone upgrade program, and the best plan I can find for 2 lines it's with Verizon for $72 per month plus taxes. But we would earn a $500 credit to switch to them.

2 iPhone 11s is $70 per month, so about $150 a month total including plan.

Financially it doesn't add up, it is more want than need for sure!

Any compelling argument in favor of switching would be welcomed ?

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
Well you either have to find cheaper plans, and that's probably as low as it gets unless you go with prepaid. Or more realistically settle for cheaper iPhones, like the 8 or XR, and if your carrier have some kind of trade in deal, that helps too.

Your partner could keep the Pixel, and you get the iPhone.

You could recoup a little more than $200 for each Pixel 3 you sell.

Last edited:
Reactions: eustachio

eustachio

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2019
We can afford to pay the monthly amount, just trying to justify it ?

teohyc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
I switched recently from Android to iPhone (11) recently. The only reason for switching is the 4K video recording is significantly better. Otherwise, the Android can pretty much do whatever the iPhone can do. Many features are even better. Better notification, microSD card reader, no eco-system to lock you in (you can switch brands easily), value for money.

I tried the Xiaomi Note 10 Pro before the iPhone and the photo taking was really good, on par with iPhone, but the video recording wasn't that good. That's why I switched. I make a lot of videos by the way.

Reactions: eustachio

marzfreerider

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Any particular reason you want to switch? Personally if what you have is working for you, just stay with it. Saving money is always a good thing. It's your money so do what you like. If you need convincing it means you don't need to do it. Take some time to really think it through. In the end its your decision to make and yours alone. Good luck.

ACB 123

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
If you can afford to make the move, try it and then you'll know if you like it or not. That will take all the suspense out of the equation and you'll know if Apple is right for you and not just getting advise from someone else. Good luck ...

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

Currently we have 2 pixel 3s and with Google Fi pay $85 per month including phone payment that finishes in 11 months.

I want to switch to the iPhone upgrade program, and the best plan I can find for 2 lines it's with Verizon for $72 per month plus taxes. But we would earn a $500 credit to switch to them.

There Is NO Cost in Leaving Android and Eliminating All Google Signed In Services as I did 3 Years ago.

#1. Do you Value your family’s safety and Security?
#2. What’s the Value of your Personal Privacy and safety ?
#3. Ease of use I got so tired of Every App On Android stealing or asking for Sign in Data and on Android Once your Signed in Good luck Trying to Sign Out.
#4. What’s the Cost of Identity Theft Which the #1. Attacks are Android Apps Targeted to Kids Who Install them on Your Phone While you are busy or distracted takes 30 seconds or so to be compromised.
#5.The Android Kernel was cracked by Russians and Chinese like 3 years ago that’s why No One in the Federal Government is allowed to have an Android Phone at high levels iPhones are ok to use.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Thanks, that's a wise perspective ?

But would also appreciate other perspectives that would help me justify the choice.

If you need a bunch of strangers to help you justify a purchase that you admit 'doesn't add up' and is 'more want than need', you very obviously shouldn't do it.

Your mind is already made up however, otherwise this charade would have ended so you may as well just go out and do it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There Is NO Cost in Leaving Android and Eliminating All Google Signed In Services as I did 3 Years ago.

#1. Do you Value your family’s safety and Security?
#2. What’s the Value of your Personal Privacy and safety ?
#3. Ease of use I got so tired of Every App On Android stealing or asking for Sign in Data and on Android Once your Signed in Good luck Trying to Sign Out.
#4. What’s the Cost of Identity Theft Which the #1. Attacks are Android Apps Targeted to Kids Who Install them on Your Phone While you are busy or distracted takes 30 seconds or so to be compromised.
#5.The Android Kernel was cracked by Russians and Chinese like 3 years ago that’s why No One in the Federal Government is allowed to have an Android Phone at high levels iPhones are ok to use.
Personal safety is the cost of using Google? ...

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
How much were they paying you to carry the for-profit personal data collection software? I may consider selling my soul and joining.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Personal safety is the cost of using Google? ...

I think the question you should ask yourself is what is the value of my personal data? Many people freely give their personal data away to google (who then generate vast profits from that). My personal data is worth a lot more than google are prepared to pay me for it.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007

The Pixel 3 was launched at $799.
So based on that, I would assume you CAN actually afford at least the iPhone 11.

Just an idea. Apply for the Apple card, buy and finance the iPhone through it (they have 0% interest promo if you buy the iPhone within 30 days of the account opening), and continue using your current Google Fi plan.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think the question you should ask yourself is what is the value of my personal data? Many people freely give their personal data away to google (who then generate vast profits from that). My personal data is worth a lot more than google are prepared to pay me for it.
There's certainly something to that, although it's somewhat more nuanced than just that. However, seems like the post that was in reply to was mentioning something quite a bit beyond something like that.

Reactions: macintoshmac

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
Updates is the best reason IMHO. Apple keeps things current on safety and security. Even a public beta program if you're so inclined. Google can't even get current updates out on their own Pixel 4's, being late over the past couple of months. If the updates have to go thru a carrier, it's even worse.

Reactions: FlyingDutch

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Updates is the best reason IMHO. Apple keeps things current on safety and security. Even a public beta program if you're so inclined. Google can't even get current updates out on their own Pixel 4's, being late over the past couple of months. If the updates have to go thru a carrier, it's even worse.
Updates are not important for Android, apparently. Just ask in the Alternative section.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I'll chime in on the whole updates thing:

Android has Google Play Services which, techically, can allow even a phone running Gingerbread remain compatible with most modern apps even in 2019 (unless they finally cut support off) which means you don't NEED the most modern Android version to run modern apps and remain secure (by Android's definition of secure that is).

HOWEVER, a modern app running on Android 2.3 phones, we're talking a phone that likely has 256MB RAM and around 200MB internal storage, is NOT a pleasant experience. This is why Androids lag with age. They NEVER are as smooth (to me, IMO) as an iPhone. But an app that expects you to have modern CPU/RAM won't run very well on a phone from close to a decade ago. This is why I believe Apple keeps you from updating some apps if you remain on an older iOS version, and why even an ancient 3GS today is quite snappy on its last supported iOS version and supported apps versions. I wouldn't WANT to be able to run a modern app on an ancient version of an OS even if it were compatible due to some system service.

Also, look up what Google Play Services can do in the background. it's scary. I've labeled it malware for what it can do. I got it disabled on any remaining Android devices in my possession and it makes battery life triple and the experience is at least smoother. I never update apps beyond a year or two after the device is considered out of date. Running a modern app on an ancient Android is a lot like running Windows XP on a Pentium 100MHz with 64MB RAM. Not pleasant!

TimothyL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2019
Your iPhones will get at least 5 years worth of updates while your Pixel 3a devices will be forgotten about probably by end of next year. is that a good enough excuse?

Your iPhone will also sync with all other Apple devices, MacBook, iMac, etc... if you use those

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.