Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

442Craig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2019
Thousand Oaks, CA
I have a late 2011 27" imac. I have a 2 partitioned ssd. Half running Lion and the other I want to run High Sierra. I can't find a way to get the software to install it. OS defaults to Lion. Driving me crazy! Seems that a lot of people are running their macs with dual systems. How are they doing it!

Thanks!

Craig

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I'm not sure I understand the issue really. What's on your not-Lion partition now, how is it formatted, and what do you do when you attempt to get it to install?
It's never really been an issue as far as I'm concerned

442Craig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2019
Thousand Oaks, CA
I'm not sure I understand the issue really. What's on your not-Lion partition now, how is it formatted, and what do you do when you attempt to get it to install?
It's never really been an issue as far as I'm concerned

Brand new drive (1TB changing out my 256ssd). I cloned the existing drive on one partition (Lion) and want to put a fresh High Sierra install on the other partition. Nothing is on the second partition.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Make a bootable USB installer for High Sierra. You need to download the High Sierra installer app to make the bootable.
(You can download the High Sierra installer app from this link )
Make the installer on a new 16GB USB thumb drive, so you can easily use it again, if necessary.
Boot to your High Sierra installer. Choose the empty partition as the destination for the install, and continue with the install.

442Craig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2019
Thousand Oaks, CA
Make a bootable USB installer for High Sierra. You need to download the High Sierra installer app to make the bootable.
Make the installer on a new 16GB USB thumb drive, so you can easily use it again, if necessary.
Boot to your High Sierra installer. Choose the empty partition as the destination for the install, and continue with the install.

I'll give it a try! Thank you!!!!!

442Craig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2019
Thousand Oaks, CA

When I click on the link I get this:

What am I missing?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 10.14.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 10.14.30 PM.png
    731.2 KB · Views: 132

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you are booted to Lion, that's too old to upgrade straight to High Sierra, so Apple's server won't allow you to download High Sierra. You can use another Mac, if that is running a newer version of OS X.

442Craig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2019
Thousand Oaks, CA
My wife has a newwer mac. I downloaded High Sierra Installer (finally) I have been folowing a few "how to" videos on how to make a bootable High Sierra usb using "Terminal" after entering the commands it asks me for a password. This mac doesn't have a password and when I hit enter it says "Try again" Do I need to set an admin password in order to do this? Any suggestions? step by step instructions? This is so frustating!!!

Thank you!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Are you SURE that there is no password?
If the Mac is set for automatic login, and you don't see a login screen at boot (Your wife's Mac goes straight to the desktop, without seeing a login screen), that does NOT mean that there is no password, only that a password is not needed at boot.
Try this: Open System preferences, then the Users & Groups pref pane. Click the padlock in the lower left corner.
Does that let you unlock by just pressing enter (and no password entered?)
If that allows you to unlock, then, yes, you have no password. Some operations NEED an admin password, so here's a workaround to do that (and what I would do)
DON'T add a password for your wife's account, if you think that would cause problems. If you add an admin password to your wife's account, you can't go back to "no password" on that account. What CAN you do? Add a new account, in that same Users & Groups pref pane. Make it an admin account, with a nice password. Log out of your wife's account, then log in to your new account.
Make your bootable USB for High Sierra. Log out, then **restart**. If you have automatic login, the Mac will boot back up to your wife's account. Your added account takes up very little space, and you can leave it there, in case you need a fully functional account again.

Reactions: CoastalOR and Riwam
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.