Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karthik02

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2016
How do you disable the keyboard?

I tried removing macOS and installing Linux but the problem persisted. I read somewhere that this is because their both built upon Unix, and that it wouldn't persist on Windows, but I haven't tried.

Try this:
[automerge]1569172684[/automerge]
This works for me like a charm. sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBTopCase.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBTCKeyboard.kext

With the lid closed, I don't even need to run this. I think it's a firmware issue, but I haven't found an Apple person who either agreed, or would waive the repair fee.

Reactions: bivalvegruff

s.hoj

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2019
Hi,

I've been experiencing intermittent shutdowns on my Late 2013 Retina 15-inch Macbook Pro.
I downgraded the OS to the default that came with the computer, 10.9.5 (Mavericks). The crashes happen way less frequently with 10.9.5 but they still happen.
I tried this solution in this thread https://outluch.wixsite.com/rmbp-crash

But I have a problem with step 3:
sudo csrutil disable​

My terminal doesn't recognize command sudo, and when I try to run it without sudo, my terminal doesn't recognize command csrutil.

Any suggestions?

IMG_1549.jpg

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Hi,

I've been experiencing intermittent shutdowns on my Late 2013 Retina 15-inch Macbook Pro.
I downgraded the OS to the default that came with the computer, 10.9.5 (Mavericks). The crashes happen way less frequently with 10.9.5 but they still happen.

sudo csrutil disable​

My terminal doesn't recognize command sudo, and when I try to run it without sudo, my terminal doesn't recognize command csrutil.

Any suggestions?

View attachment 863378
If you are still running Mavericks (OS X 10.9.5), then you are too old for SIP.
SIP was introduces in OS X 10.11 (El Capitan), so no csrutil command until then.

So, no SIP on your system. SIP prevents most modification to system files. You don't have SIP, so it's not protected to the same level. All you should need is your normal admin user, or if that doesn't allow what you need, then enable your root user. Make your changes, disable the root user, and you should be OK.
But then, that may not help your issue, but it's worth the try, and might help.

Armandojose

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2019
Since last month I’ve been having this problem, it used to turn on for like 1-2 min but then suddenly turn of. I tried to use an external monitor with the hdmi port, it worked for 5 minutes but then turn of. Now my mbp is not even turning on. im outside the US and here there is no official apple support. i had the exact same symptoms of this thread but my mbp dont turn on anymore.
what can I do?

karthik02

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2016
Closing the lid, and then reopen and try again has worked for me. Then hold a key down (such as FN) until you reach the desktop. Then quickly C&P in the command to disable the built in keyboard. After that, mine stays up (using an external keyboard).

Another reason I'm convinced this is sw related rather than hardware is that if I close the lid (and using an external monitor) proceed to reboot the MacBook, it stays up without shutting down (i.e. after rebooting, I don't disable the keyboard). If I do a full shutdown, if I quickly close the lid after typing in my password, it also doesn't need the keyboard to be disabled (as long as the lid stays closed, which probably unloads that kext).

Everyone - Maybe a workaround is to load an alternate keyboard KEXT? Any suggestions?

s.hoj

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2019
Hi,

sudo csrutil disable​

Any suggestions?

View attachment 863378

This solution (disabling the port) did not work for me. However, I purchased NOCRASHMBP software from real mac mods and it completely solved my problem. Yaaay!

plewandowski

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2019
These are the MBP’s affected by the random shutdown issue:

Any model with a 820-3662 Logic Board
Any model with a 820-3787 Logic Board
Macbook Pro 15″ 2013
Macbook Pro 15″ 2014
Macbook Pro 15″ 2015
Macbook Pro 13″ 2013
Macbook Pro 13″ 2014
Macbook Pro 13″ 2015

If you don’t have one of the above two logic boards in one of the 6 MBP's, and you have shutdowns, then you should do the other things(like the PRAM, the scd, replacing your SSD, etc) or you really have a broken logic board.

The NoCrashMBP Python script needs to run all the time, so you have to put it into your Login Folder(in the System Preferences/Users).

It really does work. If you should restart your MBP and not have it in the Login file you could forget and have it not work, and then wonder why you have shutdowns.

More information at: https://realmacmods.com/product/macbook-pro-nocrash-utility/

Hi,

Is there an easy way to identify which Logic Board one should have in their MBP?

I have a Mid-2015 15" 2.5Ghz, dual graphics MBP that is exhibiting this behavior. Do all versions of this MBP use the same logic board maybe?

I'm using the python script through NoCrashMBP. Which has stopped the crashes, but if another one of these solutions would fix it so I don't have that running all the time, that would be great (e.g., Thunderbolt Ethernet fix, SSD replace, etc.)

Thanks!

s!deshow

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2019
Hey everyone.

I Just installed the Catalina GM, which is likely to be shipped in the next days as OSX 10.15, and made the following observation:

The location at which the kext resides is now read only, so with disabled SIP one has to run `sudo mount -uw /` to allow renaming the file.

Just wanted to put this info out there in case people come back to this thread.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

nol2001

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2013
UK
Hey everyone.

I Just installed the Catalina GM, which is likely to be shipped in the next days as OSX 10.15, and made the following observation:

The location at which the kext resides is now read only, so with disabled SIP one has to run `sudo mount -uw /` to allow renaming the file.

Cheers
Does anyone know how does Catalina change these instructions from earlier in the thread (which worked perfectly for me on Mojave, 2014 rMBP)

1) reboot with CMD+R pressed.

2) open Terminal

3) sudo csrutil disable

4) reboot in normal mode

5) sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext.BAK

6) reboot with CMD+R pressed

7) csrutil enable

8) reboot and forget about problem

Armandojose

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2019
I was able to install the realmacmoods program, and it works like 75% of the times. Now I want to install Catalina but I don’t know what will happen next, should the realmacmoods program work?

michaelafcadio

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2019
Boston, MA
HELP! The techniques described in this thread (to rename AppleThunderboltNHI.kext) have worked consistently for me for nearly a year now. I reapply these changes regularly after each macOS update and all was right. Until today.

Today, I updated to macOS version 10.14.6 on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) and after updating and even after moving /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext.BAK, my MacBook crashes after a few minutes.

Is anyone else seeing this?

The Python busy-wait-sleep trick still works but it's murder on my battery life.

crimsix09

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2019
The system volume is mounted read-only in Catalina. In order to be able to modify files in S/L/E you need to mount in read-write mode i.e. sudo mount -u -o rw / Having SIP disabled before that.

The thing is, removing ThunderboltNHI.kext worked for me until Beta 6. After installing it, removing the kext doesn't help and my macbook reboots randomly :( Python still works, fortunately.

I'm going to try removing all Thunderbolt kexts later...

were you able to find a solution?

crimsix09

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2019
Hey everyone.

Cheers

unfortunately it doesn't work, are you sure about that? can you please double check the command

alizmac

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2019
My late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro 15" used to crash multiple times a day ever since I upgraded to High Sierra and the crashes had become more frequent with Mojave. The system would randomly freeze, the fans would ramp up to maximum speed for about 5 seconds, then the computer would click off. When I turned the computer back on there was no crash log. The crashes would happen even faster and more frequently while I was on battery, crashing within minutes of booting up. The computer was unusable on battery. You can imagine my frustration.

The only reproducible bug I was able to find was putting the display to sleep would cause the computer to crash within about 15 minutes. The fans would ramp up and the computer would click off. I would then have to turn the computer back on and again there was no crash log.

Upgrading to Catalina did not make any difference with these issues.

But finally there is some good news:

I can confirm that renaming AppleThunderboltNHI.ktext to AppleThunderboltNHI.ktext.BAK has solved my stall and crash issues with my late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro 15" running Catalina 10.15.

With this ktext edit the crashes have completely disappeared including while I'm on battery. It's beautiful. These are the steps I took:

1) Restart with Command+R pressed
2) Open Terminal from Utilities menu
3) Run csrutil disable
4) Restart in normal mode
4.5 (if running Catalina) Open Terminal and run sudo mount -uw /
5) Run sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext.BAK
6) Restart with Command+R pressed
7) Run csrutil enable
8) Restart and forget about the problem

These 4 lines of code have given my MacBook a new lease on life. I am beyond grateful for this thread. You've saved me from having to buy a new computer when this one is perfectly capable. I'm back to running Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, Safari, Chrome with 20 tabs open and Spotify all at once with no problems at all, even on battery. I am submitting my findings along with this thread to Apple feedback in hopes that they will push a permanent fix for these machines.

crimsix09

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2019
My late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro 15" used to crash multiple times a day ever since I upgraded to High Sierra and the crashes had become more frequent with Mojave. The system would randomly freeze, the fans would ramp up to maximum speed for about 5 seconds, then the computer would click off. When I turned the computer back on there was no crash log. The crashes would happen even faster and more frequently while I was on battery, crashing within minutes of booting up. The computer was unusable on battery. You can imagine my frustration.

The only reproducible bug I was able to find was putting the display to sleep would cause the computer to crash within about 15 minutes. The fans would ramp up and the computer would click off. I would then have to turn the computer back on and again there was no crash log.

Upgrading to Catalina did not make any difference with these issues.

But finally there is some good news:

I can confirm that renaming AppleThunderboltNHI.ktext to AppleThunderboltNHI.ktext.BAK has solved my stall and crash issues with my late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro 15" running Catalina 10.15.

With this ktext edit the crashes have completely disappeared including while I'm on battery. It's beautiful. These are the steps I took:

1) Restart with Command+R pressed
2) Open Terminal from Utilities menu
3) Run csrutil disable
4) Restart in normal mode
4.5 (if running Catalina) Open Terminal and run sudo mount -uw /
5) Run sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext.BAK
6) Restart with Command+R pressed
7) Run csrutil enable
8) Restart and forget about the problem

These 4 lines of code have given my MacBook a new lease on life. I am beyond grateful for this thread. You've saved me from having to buy a new computer when this one is perfectly capable. I'm back to running Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, Safari, Chrome with 20 tabs open and Spotify all at once with no problems at all, even on battery. I am submitting my findings along with this thread to Apple feedback in hopes that they will push a permanent fix for these machines.

still doesn't work...

alizmac

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2019
still doesn't work...
What model MacBook do you have?
Can you confirm that your AppleThunderboltNHI.kext file has been renamed to AppleThunderboltNHI.kext.BAK?
Open finder, hit Command-Shift-G, copy and paste this into the field: /System/Library/Extensions/ then hit Go. Search the folder for applethunderboltNHI then make sure the AppleThunderboltNHI.kext has .BAK at the end.
Do you have any third party accessories connected to the computer?
Do the crashes still happen on a new user account?

hberberoglu

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2019
Hi everyone,

After updating my Macbook Pro Late 2013 to Mac OS's latest security update (10.14.6 (18G1012)) removing AppleThunderboltNHI.kext fix doesn't work anymore.

Before, after every update I was removing this and it was working.

Is there anyone solved this with latest update? If no, I will try to update to Catalina.

Edit:

After moving all files AppleThunderboltNHI.kext* to my home directory it seems it worked. Before that all .BAK* files were staying /System/Library/Extensions/ now there is no file starts with AppleThunderboldNHI

Last edited:
Reactions: michaelafcadio

Shurland

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2017
Anyone got the Catalina random shutdowns issue fixed since we can no longer modify or delete the ApplethuderboltNHI.kext file? It’s really frustrating me.

alizmac

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2019
I can confirm the ApplethuderboltNHI.kext fix does work on Catalina, even up to 10.15.1. I have had no random shutdown since the fix, 22 days ago. Before the fix, the shutdowns were happening every few minutes and nearly drove me mad.

I did the fix while I was on 10.15 and everything was fine for 22 days. But I recently updated to Catalina 10.15.1 and the shutdowns started happening immediately after updating. This is because the ApplethuderboltNHI.kext is re-added every time you update the OS. So I had to go through these steps again:
  1. Restart with Command+R pressed, release when you see the Apple logo, then login
  2. Open Terminal from Utilities menu
  3. Run: csrutil disable
  4. Restart in normal mode
    • 4.5 (if running Catalina) run: sudo mount -uw /
  5. Run: sudo mv -i /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext.BAK
    • IMPORTANT: You may have to type this in manually and just drag the file into the terminal to get the file path, then add .BAK at the end. Otherwise you may get a "usage: mv [-f | -i | -n] [-v]..." message. Also remember the directories are Case Sensitive.
    • After you run this command and get no errors or messages, open Finder and go to /System/Library/Extensions/ and double check that AppleThunderboltNHI.kext.BAK is there. It will look like a folder. That means the rename was successful.
  6. Restart with Command+R pressed
  7. Run: csrutil enable
  8. Restart and forget about the problem
These steps worked for me on Catalina 10.15.1 and my late 2013 rMBP 15" is solid once again!

If this is working on Catalina, it should still work on Mojave, even on the latest version. If you don't want to upgrade to Catalina, try these steps again.

Shurland

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2017
I can confirm the ApplethuderboltNHI.kext fix does work on Catalina, even up to 10.15.1. I have had no random shutdown since the fix, 22 days ago. Before the fix, the shutdowns were happening every few minutes and nearly drove me mad.

I did the fix while I was on 10.15 and everything was fine for 22 days. But I recently updated to Catalina 10.15.1 and the shutdowns started happening immediately after updating. This is because the ApplethuderboltNHI.kext is re-added every time you update the OS. So I had to go through these steps again:
  1. Restart with Command+R pressed, release when you see the Apple logo, then login
  5. Run: sudo mv -i /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext.BAK
    • IMPORTANT: You may have to type this in manually and just drag the file into the terminal to get the file path, then add .BAK at the end. Otherwise you may get a "usage: mv [-f | -i | -n] [-v]..." message. Also remember the directories are Case Sensitive.
    • After you run this command and get no errors or messages, open Finder and go to /System/Library/Extensions/ and double check that AppleThunderboltNHI.kext.BAK is there. It will look like a folder. That means the rename was successful.
These steps worked for me on Catalina 10.15.1 and my late 2013 rMBP 15" is solid once again!

If this is working on Catalina, it should still work on Mojave, even on the latest version. If you don't want to upgrade to Catalina, try these steps again.
Alizmac thanks a lot this work for me now my mid 2014 MBP is up and running the way it should on Catalina

jflow

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2019

I've used this trick for months now. But I decided to get Catalina and after followings these steps exactly, I get "Permission denied" after attempting the file name change

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I've used this trick for months now. But I decided to get Catalina and after followings these steps exactly, I get "Permission denied" after attempting the file name change
You can disable SIP, make the file name change, then re-enable SIP.

Reactions: jflow

arkantospt

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
Hi everyone,

After updating my Macbook Pro Late 2013 to Mac OS's latest security update (10.14.6 (18G1012)) removing AppleThunderboltNHI.kext fix doesn't work anymore.

Before, after every update I was removing this and it was working.

Is there anyone solved this with latest update? If no, I will try to update to Catalina.

Edit:

After moving all files AppleThunderboltNHI.kext* to my home directory it seems it worked. Before that all .BAK* files were staying /System/Library/Extensions/ now there is no file starts with AppleThunderboldNHI

How did you move it?
Did you do: "sudo mv /System/..../AppleThunderboltNHI.kext /Users/.../AppleThunderboltNHI.kext.BAK"?

And why do you mention "all files"? Isn't there only 1 AppleThunderboltNHI.kext file?
Or you mean all files inside the BAK folder you created when ou made the first "mv" command?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.