Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Hey all!

I'll get straight to the point. My blog is gearhungry, and here's the feed: BOOM

The issue is that while I use very high res images on the site (and resize them to fit using CSS), on the feed the images show up in their massive native resolution. I'd like to make my feed more friendly for followers by shrinking the size to a fixed width or something.

I've checked out feedburner but it really doesn't seem to offer any control in image size (hopefully I'm wrong about this). I'd also like to limit the post length to a certain amount of characters, which I can do with feedburners summary option, although this removes the images entirely... (this reduction in words is to make feeding into other service, like Mailchimp, a possibility as well).

I've scoured the internet but have come up with nothing, though I know it's possible - other sites I follow have small thumbnails as their RSS feed images. Thanks in advance for all your help!
Mike

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2008
England
Two directories;
one with thumbnails;
one with hi-res;

Display thumbnails on page, linked to the hi-res. When click on the thumbnail displays hi-res.

Check out lightbox 2, much stuff out there on net for this sort of thing.:)

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Hey thanks for the reply! I checked it out, though I have no idea where I'd put such code for it to apply to my rss feed. Any suggestions on tutorials for HTML noobs?
Thanks in advance

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
So are you displaying this feed on your site or on someone else's site? I'm confused.

If it's on your site, it's easy to control styling of dynamic content with jQuery, but if it's a feed for others' sites, then that's trickier, and no one is going to help you with the XML looking like that. Throw that in a text editor and make it easier to read.

Last edited:

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
So are you displaying this feed on your site or on someone else's site? I'm confused.

If it's on your site, it's easy to control styling of dynamic content with jQuery, but if it's a feed for others' sites, then that's trickier, and no one is going to help you with the XML looking like that. Throw that in a text editor and make it easier to read.

The feed is from my blogger-based website. I can edit the site's HTML if necessary, though I don't really know what to look for.

DanielM22

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2019
Hey all!

I'll get straight to the point. My blog is gearhungry, and here's the feed: FEED

The issue is that while I use very high res images on the site (and resize them to fit using CSS), on the feed the images show up in their massive native resolution. I'd like to make my feed more friendly for followers by shrinking the size to a fixed width or something.

I've checked out feedburner but it really doesn't seem to offer any control in image size (hopefully I'm wrong about this). I'd also like to limit the post length to a certain amount of characters, which I can do with feedburners summary option, although this removes the images entirely... (this reduction in words is to make feeding into other service, like Mailchimp, a possibility as well).

I've scoured the internet but have come up with nothing, though I know it's possible - other sites I follow have small thumbnails as their RSS feed images. Thanks in advance for all your help!
Mike

Was this ever figured out Mike? I'm having the same issue!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.