Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awfulmacer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2016
Hi everyone,
I am a complete MAC novice having just migrated after years and years of specialization in Windows.

I am looking for a way or a program (free or not) that works like Taskbar Hide in Windows., in that, with a combination of keystrokes you can hide and unhide a RUNNING application from the Dock.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Right-click on the app (in the dock) you wish to hide.

Select "Hide xxx" from the contextual menu.

awfulmacer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2016
The solutions you are suggesting only hide the application window. I am talking about hiding both the window and the icon from the dock.

Also I've searched a lot of sites before posting here and I am pretty sure what I'm asking for is not an innate function of OS X and I need a third-party app to make it happen.

I already tried Dock Dodger but it doesn't work.

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
It used to work for sure, but the commands I found do not seem to work anymore. Now that Apple protects system files, the utility will be limited anyway. Given that you are a recent switcher, perhaps you should just let it sink in for a while? This is just how OS X works and these Dock icons are there by design. OS X uses the Dock to signify to the user that an application is running and that it can be closed. If you hide an icon from the Dock, then you will not be able to close that program anymore without Terminal or Activity Monitor.

Which applications do you want to hide anyway?

awfulmacer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2016
It used to work for sure, but the commands I found do not seem to work anymore. Now that Apple protects system files, the utility will be limited anyway. Given that you are a recent switcher, perhaps you should just let it sink in for a while? This is just how OS X works and these Dock icons are there by design. OS X uses the Dock to signify to the user that an application is running and that it can be closed. If you hide an icon from the Dock, then you will not be able to close that program anymore without Terminal or Activity Monitor.

Which applications do you want to hide anyway?

I am not referring to one specific app, it's rather a general principle. Say for example I want to play a game while at work, if someone walks to my office I need to make it disappear quickly rather than going about closing it properly. Even going to the "Activity monitor" would be too time consuming in that case. You need single keystroke combination to make it gone.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I am not referring to one specific app, it's rather a general principle. Say for example I want to play a game while at work, if someone walks to my office I need to make it disappear quickly rather than going about closing it properly. Even going to the "Activity monitor" would be too time consuming in that case. You need single keystroke combination to make it gone.
Unless the person is approaching from behind your monitor and walking around your desk to be able to see it, and there is no reflection from a window behind you, then your hands are not quicker than the intruder's eyes. Just sayin'...

awfulmacer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2016
You could also just change the icons of these games to something inconspicuous. :p

You can use the setting ‘Minimise windows into application icon’ in System Preferences > Dock.

Tried this approach with Steam. It won't work. The application icon changes and appears changed on the dock for a few seconds but later on changes back to original icon.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
This solution doesn't always work. It's more of a case-by-case thing. But I guess it's the best alternative I have right now.

if need be, click on the finder (the desktop itself or the finder icon in the dock), then do command-H. occasionally, i have to do that (i use command-H all the time, instead of minimizing to the dock)...

HelperBot#1225

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
Here is an app that works at your requirements. The only bad thing about it is that it is quite hard to use. Sorry for any inconveniences caused by my absence.

Attachments

• GhostTile.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 374
Reactions: Goldenstarc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.