Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Transgredi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
After having really positive experience with Sierra I thought immediate upgrade was really good idea. Unfortunately, I was wrong - it's really buggy edition with many broken things inside. Here you can see how laggy Preview is in rendering the PDF pages and how blurry the fonts are comparing to Adobe Reader or even the QuickLook: https://imgur.com/a/Q8LnI.

Speaking of QuickLook - it's also broken. In this screen recording you can see how unresponsive the app is:

I really hope they are going to fix it quickly as Adobe Reader itself is huge piece of crap... :/ BTW: I tried using Skim instead of Preview but it has blurry fonts as well.

timothevs

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
FL
Ugh that is rather abysmal. Thank you for posting a video documenting the problem. I wonder whether this too, is a Metal 2 issue.

That said, the .1 update can't come soon enough. As a person who works on research articles (writing/evaluating), flawless PDF functionality is a must for me.

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
After having really positive experience with Sierra I thought immediate upgrade was really good idea. Unfortunately, I was wrong - it's really buggy edition with many broken things inside. Here you can see how laggy Preview is in rendering the PDF pages and how blurry the fonts are comparing to Adobe Reader or even the QuickLook: https://imgur.com/a/Q8LnI.

Speaking of QuickLook - it's also broken. In this screen recording you can see how unresponsive the app is:

I really hope they are going to fix it quickly as Adobe Reader itself is huge piece of crap... :/ BTW: I tried using Skim instead of Preview but it has blurry fonts as well.

Yes!, I have experiencing the same thing on a MacBook Pro 2015. A lot of beach balling with preview.

jmd.au

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2016
Queensland, Australia
I'm having this same issues, as well as a bunch of other infuriating Finder/Quick Look related bugs with High Sierra (video scrubbers not appearing in fullscreen, items disappearing under window header in Finder column view). Using MacBook Pro 13" 2015.

Quick Look has had substantial bugs for me across various Macs since Yosemite – so it's hard for me to believe its an isolated case. I'm surprised there isn't more frustration.

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
UK
Poor quality PDF quality in Preview is nothing new. I've seen it in older versions prior to Sierra as well, so it's a mystery why Apple can't seem to fix this permanently.

maj88

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
Warsaw, Poland
Same here... PDF blurry in Preview.. Also then you use Quick Look (hitting space button) you have to wait long time to see something. Whereas Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is super fast..

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
I was using High Sierra, but only for this problem I had to reinstall Sierra. Acrobat Reader works fine on High Sierra but when I want to look up a word in the dictionary it opens the browser to access an online website for the definition. I really like the convenience of macOS dictionaries. I tried to look in the settings to use the stock dictionary but I did not find any option. I think I have to be on High Sierra until Preview can render PDFs correctly.

Does any body know how to activate the stock dictionary on Acrobat Reader?

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
No it still looks pretty blurry to me. I just opened a file and then compared it to Acrobat reader.

Thank you for your answer. I can't believe this. I bought an iPhone X and to view some 4K videos I need High Sierra. The problem is that preview is the one of my main apps, I like how the dictionaries are integrated. Wow.. unbelievable!

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
UK
I struggle to think of anything that has been allowed to persist for so long in the OS as a bug. It's come and gone for years, so when I released a book in PDF format it came with an advisory note at the beginning about likely softness if using Apple Preview and a recommendation to use Acrobat instead.

I prefer using Preview, but the softness is genuinely annoying and on bigger large screens it's horrible. It's not just images either, because the text is soft as well.

inarush

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2016
Ann Arbor MI
I was just wondering if by any chance a fix (or workaround) has ever been found for this very annoying issue? It's been a while since it's been reported to Apple...

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
UK
I was just wondering if by any chance a fix (or workaround) has ever been found for this very annoying issue? It's been a while since it's been reported to Apple...

Sadly no. I just try not to read PDF files using Preview for any length of time. This issue has come and gone now for a good ten years and Apple just seems incapable of finding a permanent solution.

Reactions: inarush

timothevs

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
FL
Ugh, precisely the reason why I haven't updated my work iMac to High Sierra. I read and edit journals, and papers, and am very used to annotating the same in Preview, and that works perfectly in Sierra.

I really hope whichever Mountain version they go for next, fixes this issue. I would hate for Sierra to be my last OS X. :(

Transgredi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Odd... I don't experience any of those problems on any of the Macs I have access to.
Interesting... Few weeks ago I paid a visit to an Apple Store and started playing around with MacBooks and iMacs. Each had the issue present :/

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Interesting... Few weeks ago I paid a visit to an Apple Store and started playing around with MacBooks and iMacs. Each had the issue present :/
Perhaps it's due to the fact that I have 32GB RAM and a 4GB video card... although, the newest machine I have at home is a 2013 iMac. I dunno, but I have no lag, no blurriness.

Transgredi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
@MacGizmo PS: Apple is aware of that issue - see screenshot from the Apple Bug Reporter.

Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 21.36.21.png

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I just ran into this issue. I sometimes receive a series of jpg images of various documents e.g page 1.jpg, page 2.jpg etc. In the past, I'd just put them together in Preview and save as PDF. All fine.

Today I ran through this again, and WTF - the preview is all blurry! I've tried various Export as .. and Print / Print to PDF options, but to no avail.

Very frustrating. Running OSX 10.13.5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.