Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
I just ran into this issue. I sometimes receive a series of jpg images of various documents e.g page 1.jpg, page 2.jpg etc. In the past, I'd just put them together in Preview and save as PDF. All fine.

Today I ran through this again, and WTF - the preview is all blurry! I've tried various Export as .. and Print / Print to PDF options, but to no avail.

Very frustrating. Running OSX 10.13.5.

Are you using an external monitor? on the MacBook Pro it renders very clear, but on the LG monitor is all blurry. With Sierra I don't have this problem, only with High Sierra. I tried Mojave a week ago and pdfs are blurry.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Are you using an external monitor? on the MacBook Pro it renders very clear, but on the LG monitor is all blurry. With Sierra I don't have this problem, only with High Sierra. I tried Mojave a week ago and pdfs are blurry.

2013 MBA 13", no external monitors. Not the highest end of computers but it does everything I want.

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
2013 MBA 13", no external monitors. Not the highest end of computers but it does everything I want.

This problem with displaying pdf's is happening with High Sierra only. I don't think my MacBook Pro 2015 is the problem or the external monitor, because I just installed High Sierra on my MacBook Air 2013 with the same results as the MacBook Pro 15, both computers can't render a clear pdf document if they are on High Sierra. I reinstall Sierra on the MacBook Air 2013 and pdf's are sharp and clear.

Conclusion: Is not the hardware at fault, is the operating system.

Reactions: RedTomato

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
Same problem here. So, Apple has known about this very annoying problem since last September and it's STILL not fixed? And why am I supposed to believe that Apple cares about it's users? This is fixing something that once worked and is now broken - how hard can that be? Clearly a lot more questions than answers.

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
Same problem here. So, Apple has known about this very annoying problem since last September and it's STILL not fixed? And why am I supposed to believe that Apple cares about it's users? This is fixing something that once worked and is now broken - how hard can that be? Clearly a lot more questions than answers.

This is a mystery to me. I don't like Chrome, but... in order to read pdf's I have to install it to be able to read pdf's through it's rendering pdf engine. F.....g Unbelievable.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
Hmm. Seems to be a different rendering technique.

I downloaded calculus made easy--
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33283 (in case you are in need of reference samples), and viewed them in Safari and in Chrome.

I then scrolled through them as fast as I could drag the scrollbar. (You can analogized this to flipping through a book if that make you feel any better, but the real reason was to challenge the rendering speed)

Results-- Preview used a low resolution image for the scrolling image-- which was replaced with a high resolution image a fraction of a second after the scrolling stopped.
Chrome used a high resolution image throughout. CPU load was higher.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
Yes, but even after Preview drops out of the low-res mode the rendering is still fuzzier than what you get with the exact same document using Adobe Reader. This was not the case when I used it on El Capitan. I have lots of other issues with Preview, which Apple seems to hate for some reason, but they had work-arounds. Reading fuzzy text renders this app unusable. As much as I hate it, I've gone back to AR for PDF files.

Reactions: foliovision

foliovision

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Bratislava
This blurry Preview images issue appears to affect El Capitan as well (was researching a High Sierra upgrade for my 2011 17" MacBook Pros). Had no idea what I was missing out until I opened the DxO PhotoLab manual in PDF Expert.

The attachment is full width 2559 × 1090px in its original format. MacRumors resizes it to 2000px. Useless at that resolution. New example is 1239px wide and should render properly.

Attachments

• Apple-Preview-El-Capitan-vs-PDF-Expert-blurry-sharp.png
    Apple-Preview-El-Capitan-vs-PDF-Expert-blurry-sharp.png
    962.5 KB · Views: 208
  • Apple-Preview-El-Capitan-vs-PDF-Expert-blurry-sharp-narrower.png
    Apple-Preview-El-Capitan-vs-PDF-Expert-blurry-sharp-narrower.png
    351.3 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.