Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isumpit

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Had the SSD replaced FOC under consumer law!
Well, my life is saved because of this thread. I got the same problem, MBP suddenly can not boot after I upgraded to High Sierra (after a success installation rebooting). Knowing that I did nothing but upgrade the OS, I would never guess that it could attack the hardware. So I brought it to the Apple official reparation place. It was confirmed that the SSD is dead, with all my data just lost (lucky enough, I had backed up my upmost important works with Google Drive). They told me this could happen if there's an undetected malfunction in the hardware all along, that upgrading OS might bring up that malfunctionality to the surface. Meanwhile my warranty is off this early year.

So I stumbled upon this thread, and read about the consumer protection law above (which is not existent in my country as far as I know). But this inspired me to try to call the Apple Support and ask if I could get something like that consumer protection law, because in my case it's not from the user's fault. Well who knew, Apple support has been very helpful, they connected me to the Apple Asia Pasific support team on free toll call. After some confirmation steps, the next day they gave me a free replacement for the SSD ( I had to bring back the unit to the reparation place, they checked my unit's serial number, and it is automatically said that it's covered for the SSD, still need to pay for the technician service though, but it's ok!). Of course, i've been honest about the whole situation to the Apple Support team, and I am glad that it worked. So I owe it to this thread, who knows my experience could help others too.

Reactions: TonyK

powdersurge

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2019
Wife's 2011 MacBook Pro 13" with Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD. It had El Capitan.
Upgrading to HS (had to because of some app that required it, Skype I believe it was)
After a few days, Macbook shows the folder with ?

Took SSD out and connected to USB with USB -> SATA cable.
Totally DEAD. Not even detected. RMA'ed the drive to Samsung.
Meanwhile orderded a WD Blue 500 SSD (former Sandisk).
Installed it. Aftert installing Lion from Internet Recovery successfully and installing HS, it disappeared from radar. WTF?!

After reading about flex cable issues with these models, ordered a new cable from eBay. Still waiting for it to arrive.

Meanwhile, gave my wife former MBP. Same year, different spec. This one had an Intel 180GB since long w/o any issues whatsoever. Never had problems with it. Upgraded to HS (it comes with a firmware update). After a day of use, the SSD is no longer detected! Brand new SSD.

I'm quite sure the issue is with Apple, and not the SSD's (Intel, WD and Samsung)
I haven't figured out what it can be though: software, hardware, firmware,..

Hopefully,when the flex cable arrives I'll be able to tell. Might be epidemic failure on the cables, although I doubt it. This is crazy scary.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or test scenarios welcome.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Any thoughts, suggestions, or test scenarios welcome."

Change out the ribbon cable.
Then get back to us.

powdersurge

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2019
Follow-up on this. The flex cable seems to have fixed one of the MacBook's. It's holding on well. I ordered one more to fix up the other one. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: TonyK

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Wife's 2011 MacBook Pro 13" with Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD. It had El Capitan.
Upgrading to HS (had to because of some app that required it, Skype I believe it was)
After a few days, Macbook shows the folder with ?

Took SSD out and connected to USB with USB -> SATA cable.
Totally DEAD. Not even detected. RMA'ed the drive to Samsung.
Meanwhile orderded a WD Blue 500 SSD (former Sandisk).
Installed it. Aftert installing Lion from Internet Recovery successfully and installing HS, it disappeared from radar. WTF?!

After reading about flex cable issues with these models, ordered a new cable from eBay. Still waiting for it to arrive.

Meanwhile, gave my wife former MBP. Same year, different spec. This one had an Intel 180GB since long w/o any issues whatsoever. Never had problems with it. Upgraded to HS (it comes with a firmware update). After a day of use, the SSD is no longer detected! Brand new SSD.

I'm quite sure the issue is with Apple, and not the SSD's (Intel, WD and Samsung)
I haven't figured out what it can be though: software, hardware, firmware,..

Hopefully,when the flex cable arrives I'll be able to tell. Might be epidemic failure on the cables, although I doubt it. This is crazy scary.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or test scenarios welcome.
I’ve got an Early 2011 MBP too, with the same SSD and never had any issues updating from Sierra to High Sierra.

powdersurge

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2019
Hi, a flex cable replacement seems to have resolved the issue. No more fallout since the cable was replaces more than a week ago. This weekend I will do the other with the Intel SSD.
Btw, Mojave on that 2011 MBP??

zoliziv

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2019
Hi, i had exactly the same pb. I upgraded my MacBook Air 2010 to High Sierra. Everyhting works perfectly during 20', but i noticed an unstoppable high speed fan noise despite i was only watching netflix (nothing requiring CPU or RAm usage)..
Then netflix froze, computer rebooted and i had the "?" icon.
SSD wasn't seen anymore and was not able to try disk utility.
I've purchased an external SSD to USB adapter, plugged the SSD to another machine but didn't mount and wasn't seen in the finder.
So i can confirm High Sierra killed my (orignal) SSD!
[automerge]1575823836[/automerge]
I'm trying to switch this crashed MAcBook Air SSD (6+12 Pin) by a working SSD from a MacBookPro 2014 (12+16 Pin). I didn't find any connector to do so. DO you know if that even exists?
See pix attached. Thanks for your help !

Attachments

• IMG_5516.jpg
    IMG_5516.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.