Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddetton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2019
Reno, NV
I have some lights and sensors setup under HomeKit. Lighting control and sensor status both work fine for manual operation from the Home app. What I would like to do is setup an automation where the light is turned off when the sensor has not detected any movement for 5 minutes. I can easily setup an automation to turn the light on when the sensor detects movement. But what appears to be lacking here is the ability to delay an action for a period of time. And for it to reset the timer if it detects movement again. Am I missing something here or is there another HomeKit compatible tool that would allow me to do this?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
i don't think there is a way to do this directly in homekit. (but not 100% sure)
i've looked in the Eve home app which has some additional choices with automations, but didn't see anything

you might be able to change settings on the motion detector itself, so that it waits longer after seeing motion before it changes back to "no motion", and then make an automation based on that.

toxlab1

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2009
Nope, can’t be done. Some people published some automations that could get around this limitation for motion sensors but they don’t work either. I think that main problem is that either they don’t open this function up to homekit. In fact, I think Hue actually removedvthis function in their own app.

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
I have several hue motion sensors and hue lights in several rooms that are set up with the sensors turning the lights on with movement being detected and then switching off when NO motion is detected...different rooms have been set up with different time limits. All works perfectly well, but this is using the HUE app to set it up, these rooms are now fit and forget.....these rooms in question are 2 bathrooms, hallway, stairs and the upstairs hallway.....just walk in, motion is detected, lights come on for a set amount of time and then turn off when NO motion is detected......lights will remain on if motion is detected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.