Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marklemac

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
Southampton, UK.
Mine is working just fine.

It has stored the last 10 days of footage with no issues.

I have turned off the CAR/ANIMAL detection as it was just getting too annoying and I've left it with person only.

Image quality is good, playback of footage is good.

Not really much else to say apart from it just works.

I do have a second Circle 2 camera, but I'm going to leave that with the basic 1 day Logitech plan, I don't want to upgrade to the Apple 2TB tier.
[automerge]1574800887[/automerge]
And my previous comments on page 1 about the camera not being available have all gone away.

Reactions: StumpyBloke

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Thoughts:
  • It’s really nice to have person/vehicle/animal detection.
  • Logitech told me they replaced the PIR motion sensor with video-based motion detection. This destroyed the ability to use it for automations to turn on a light. The light turning off causes the detector to trigger, thus the light never stays off.
  • The circle 2 only supports two simultaneous connections. HSV+live mode take these up, so you lose all circle cloud features. So no Day View. No Circle Safe subscriptions.
  • I didn’t pay for the circle safe subscription, so I didn’t lose zones. I wish HSV had this, though.
  • There are different notification settings for home and away. This is nice, but I wish I could have another one for at home but at night (asleep). Its not possible to use a Home automation as a workaround since you can’t trigger one based on an HSV notification.
Overall, I’d say that it’s better than Circle 2 free, except for the motion detector being unusable for automations and the lack of Day View, which is nice but honestly, I didn’t use much. YMMV, especially if you pay for Circle Safe.

Reactions: StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Mine is working just fine.

It has stored the last 10 days of footage with no issues.

I have turned off the CAR/ANIMAL detection as it was just getting too annoying and I've left it with person only.

Image quality is good, playback of footage is good.

Not really much else to say apart from it just works.

I do have a second Circle 2 camera, but I'm going to leave that with the basic 1 day Logitech plan, I don't want to upgrade to the Apple 2TB tier.
[automerge]1574800887[/automerge]
And my previous comments on page 1 about the camera not being available have all gone away.

Thoughts:
  • It’s really nice to have person/vehicle/animal detection.
  • Logitech told me they replaced the PIR motion sensor with video-based motion detection. This destroyed the ability to use it for automations to turn on a light. The light turning off causes the detector to trigger, thus the light never stays off.
  • The circle 2 only supports two simultaneous connections. HSV+live mode take these up, so you lose all circle cloud features. So no Day View. No Circle Safe subscriptions.
  • I didn’t pay for the circle safe subscription, so I didn’t lose zones. I wish HSV had this, though.
  • There are different notification settings for home and away. This is nice, but I wish I could have another one for at home but at night (asleep). Its not possible to use a Home automation as a workaround since you can’t trigger one based on an HSV notification.
Overall, I’d say that it’s better than Circle 2 free, except for the motion detector being unusable for automations and the lack of Day View, which is nice but honestly, I didn’t use much. YMMV, especially if you pay for Circle Safe.

Thanks. Am really tempted to upgrade mine but I will then also need to upgrade my iCloud storage. I think Apple are taking the piss making us buy the 2TB plan for more than 1 camera. IMO, the 200GB should include two cameras.

Reactions: Itinj24

Bfarmer38119

macrumors regular
May 27, 2012
Memphis
Thanks. Am really tempted to upgrade mine but I will then also need to upgrade my iCloud storage. I think Apple are taking the piss making us buy the 2TB plan for more than 1 camera. IMO, the 200GB should include two cameras.
Right now I'm using HSV with 200GB and two Circles. Seems a little in consistent. I'm okay with it now but suspect I will need to upgrade as the need for storage space is obviously going to grow.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Right now I'm using HSV with 200GB and two Circles. Seems a little in consistent. I'm okay with it now but suspect I will need to upgrade as the need for storage space is obviously going to grow.

So yours DOES work with 2 cameras? Interesting. Apple say officially only 1 on the 200GB plan!

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York

More info on this please! More than one camera on 200 GB with HSV
[automerge]1574807128[/automerge]
So yours DOES work with 2 cameras? Interesting. Apple say officially only 1 on the 200GB plan!

Interesting... Says it’s inconsistent so maybe it just takes one recording at a time but all are available for use in HSV. I was wondering what happens if you have the 2 TB plan and add more than 5 cameras to HSV.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
As I understand it, once the camera has been updated to HomeKit Secure Video it no longer appears in the Logitech app… So how do the cameras get firmware updates?

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England

Interesting... Says it’s inconsistent so maybe it just takes one recording at a time but all are available for use in HSV. I was wondering what happens if you have the 2 TB plan and add more than 5 cameras to HSV.

Do you mean like concurrent recordings? Maybe. And that would be a good compromise as far as I’m concerned.

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
As I understand it, once the camera has been updated to HomeKit Secure Video it no longer appears in the Logitech app… So how do the cameras get firmware updates?
Per Logitech:
Once you have converted the camera to HomeKit Secure Video (8.x firmware), all future firmware updates will be installed automatically. The camera checks once a day and will then apply any update in the middle of the night. You can force a firmware update check by power cycling (rebooting) the camera.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Per Logitech:
Once you have converted the camera to HomeKit Secure Video (8.x firmware), all future firmware updates will be installed automatically. The camera checks once a day and will then apply any update in the middle of the night. You can force a firmware update check by power cycling (rebooting) the camera.

Nice one, thanks

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH

When I added my second Circle 2, it didn’t complain about needing to upgrade to the 2TB plan until I set up recording for the additional camera. I think you can add however many you want - it’s not until you set them up to record that you are prompted to upgrade your iCloud storage plan.

Bfarmer38119

macrumors regular
May 27, 2012
Memphis

Yes. Both Circle 2 cameras record and stream. I say it is inconsistent at times because switching cameras is not immediate and sometimes it doesn't change to the other camera but the name does change. After a little swapping cameras a few times it gets it right. I've only had this going for two days. I'll see what happens next and let you know.

I do miss daily playback. Identifying, vehicles, people and other things is very good though.

Bfarmer38119

macrumors regular
May 27, 2012
Memphis
Yes. Both Circle 2 cameras record and stream. I say it is inconsistent at times because switching cameras is not immediate and sometimes it doesn't change to the other camera but the name does change. After a little swapping cameras a few times it gets it right. I've only had this going for two days. I'll see what happens next and let you know.

I do miss daily playback. Identifying, vehicles, people and other things is very good though.
Update:
2nd camera became unreachable. Had to delete my camera and add it back. Set it up for streaming only. In no hurry to buy more storage to make it work properly

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I upgraded my Circle 2 to HomeKit Secure Video. It all seems to work really well but I’ve noticed when playing back recordings, the date banner at the top is wrong, ie it shows the date of Friday 30th November. The recordings are actually on Saturday, the 30th of November...this date just doesn’t exist.
e72e418b5554d81c6eb6a1ad0a8859ac.jpg
Is it wrong for you guys as well? Thanks.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I just tried to setup my new Circle 2 wireless. Went into the home app, circle was blue, and selected it. Got spinning wheel.

Now neither the Home or Circle apps see it. It just flashes green/magenta even after all of those 9 second resets. Never goes to blue. Doesn't show up in bluetooth, but it is on my WiFi network as I can ping it. Have a ticket opened with logitech support, but after 2 iterations they are still asking questions which I answered in the initial help request. Frustrating.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Have you tried holding the reset button for about 15 seconds? Also, I had to re-add mine yesterday as I couldn’t view it on my iPhone (iPad was fine) - had to power it down too before it would successfully pair with HomeKit again.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Have you tried holding the reset button for about 15 seconds? Also, I had to re-add mine yesterday as I couldn’t view it on my iPhone (iPad was fine) - had to power it down too before it would successfully pair with HomeKit again.

Yeah, multiple resets and power cycles. Same thing - just flashes magenta/green.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I just tried to setup my new Circle 2 wireless. Went into the home app, circle was blue, and selected it. Got spinning wheel.

Now neither the Home or Circle apps see it. It just flashes green/magenta even after all of those 9 second resets. Never goes to blue. Doesn't show up in bluetooth, but it is on my WiFi network as I can ping it. Have a ticket opened with logitech support, but after 2 iterations they are still asking questions which I answered in the initial help request. Frustrating.
Umm, Circle 2 WIRELESS is not supported by HomeKit...

You can add it to HomeKit by using one of their other mounting solutions. The camera itself is the same as the wired camera, but the battery pack will not be able to be added to HomeKit.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Umm, Circle 2 WIRELESS is not supported by HomeKit...

You can add it to HomeKit by using one of their other mounting solutions. The camera itself is the same as the wired camera, but the battery pack will not be able to be added to HomeKit.

Ooohh good catch. Wonder if he is referring to the battery variant?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Ooohh good catch. Wonder if he is referring to the battery variant?
Doesn’t explain why the Logi app is not seeing it though. Maybe a hardware issue. I had one that just started blinking light blue out of nowhere. Turns out it had a bad WiFi module. Warranty replaced.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Does anyone know if this camera could be positioned to angle downward, like on top of a cabinet, with the standard mount that comes with it? I'm wondering if it would tip forward from the weight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.