Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Does anyone know if this camera could be positioned to angle downward, like on top of a cabinet, with the standard mount that comes with it? I'm wondering if it would tip forward from the weight.

I had one of mine on top of a cabinet for a while without screwing it down. About 6.5 feet high.

IIIRC, it doesn't angle downward very much, but it was enough for me. And it didn't fall over at all. Worst case, you could remove the slack on the power cable so it keeps it from tipping forward.

Aside: it turns out that the Circle 2 is almost the exact size as my attic vent holes. It fits nice and snug. I figured it wouldn't hurt if I covered a couple of them up with cameras. :)

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Does anyone know if this camera could be positioned to angle downward, like on top of a cabinet, with the standard mount that comes with it? I'm wondering if it would tip forward from the weight.
It definitely could. I’ve mounted them in all different angles including upside down. The mount is in two parts connected by a ball joint. The ball joint takes some force to get it to move. I have one mounted outside in all the elements and high winds and have never had to re adjust it.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Aaargh, it is a Circle 2 Wired. I keep thinking "wireless" means WiFi.

My problems are with a Circle 2 Wired.
Might be hardware related, like the Bluetooth module. As I mentioned, I had to get a warranty replacement for a bad WiFi module. Just wouldn’t connect to WiFi no matter how many times I reset and tried to reconnect. They send brand new units too, unlike Apple.

The tech support guy at Logitech asked me to try resetting and reconnecting a couple times. I had to remind him what the definition of insanity was. Lol

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
I had one of mine on top of a cabinet for a while without screwing it down. About 6.5 feet high.

IIIRC, it doesn't angle downward very much, but it was enough for me. And it didn't fall over at all. Worst case, you could remove the slack on the power cable so it keeps it from tipping forward.

Aside: it turns out that the Circle 2 is almost the exact size as my attic vent holes. It fits nice and snug. I figured it wouldn't hurt if I covered a couple of them up with cameras. :)

Interesting. Would love to see a pic if you can!

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
Once the camera is converted to Homekit Secure Video, how do you change the WiFi network it uses?

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
I've asked Logi support to downgrade my two cameras because:
  • The HomeKit Secure video misses the first few seconds of activity. With Circle Safe, the seconds before the activity is detected would be included in the recording, but with HomeKit Secure Video, it's as if the hub is too slow at analyzing the scene and detecting the object, and so misses the first few seconds since it doesn't start recording fast enough. I think that because Circle Safe always sends everything to the server, and processes things there, it can actually append the moments leading to the motion whereas the local hub with HomeKit cannot because the hub has to detect movement before it's sent to the servers.
  • The Circle app had an option to keep recording a certain time even after the motion event has stopped occurring (useful to at least hear what is going on even if someone is no longer in the camera field of vision). HomeKit Secure Video hasn't.
  • HomeKit Secure Video detects change of lighting (turning lights on and off for example) as a movement. Circle Safe didn't.
  • There is no day brief option for HomeKit Secure Video like the Logi Circle Safe to view all events in a few seconds.
  • The recording quality with HomeKit Secure Video looks inferior to Circle Safe.
Sometimes it feels like Apple doesn't even look at the competition to see what's being done elsewhere before throwing out a feature...

Reactions: fastbagger

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Since this was a firmware update pushed by Logitech, I wonder if they were able to purposely water it down so people go back to Circle Safe.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
Since this was a firmware update pushed by Logitech, I wonder if they were able to purposely water it down so people go back to Circle Safe.

3 of the things I mentioned are solely within Apple's control for sure, the other ones might or might not (#1, 2 and 3).

Reactions: Itinj24

fastbagger

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
I've asked Logi support to downgrade my two cameras because:
  • The HomeKit Secure video misses the first few seconds of activity. With Circle Safe, the seconds before the activity is detected would be included in the recording, but with HomeKit Secure Video, it's as if the hub is too slow at analyzing the scene and detecting the object, and so misses the first few seconds since it doesn't start recording fast enough. I think that because Circle Safe always sends everything to the server, and processes things there, it can actually append the moments leading to the motion whereas the local hub with HomeKit cannot because the hub has to detect movement before it's sent to the servers.
  • The Circle app had an option to keep recording a certain time even after the motion event has stopped occurring (useful to at least hear what is going on even if someone is no longer in the camera field of vision). HomeKit Secure Video hasn't.
  • HomeKit Secure Video detects change of lighting (turning lights on and off for example) as a movement. Circle Safe didn't.
  • There is no day brief option for HomeKit Secure Video like the Logi Circle Safe to view all events in a few seconds.
  • The recording quality with HomeKit Secure Video looks inferior to Circle Safe.
Sometimes it feels like Apple doesn't even look at the competition to see what's being done elsewhere before throwing out a feature...
Dean did Logitech downgrade the camera? I am having same problem the icloud option sucks I actually bought a Ring camera because the Logi was only recording my garage light turning on thanks.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Asking a wayyyyyy oversimplified question here.....At this point is the free option through Logitech better than the paid storage option through Apple? I just bought one of these cameras on Amazon to use indoors and recording won't be a huge issue, but I am hoping to get more into HomeKit and this seems disappointing. I know it's only one device though so hopefully everything else is better than this experience.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Asking a wayyyyyy oversimplified question here.....At this point is the free option through Logitech better than the paid storage option through Apple? I just bought one of these cameras on Amazon to use indoors and recording won't be a huge issue, but I am hoping to get more into HomeKit and this seems disappointing. I know it's only one device though so hopefully everything else is better than this experience.
The free option is not a bad deal especially for an indoor camera since the only thing you’ll miss is motion zones and I can’t imagine Motion zone will be something useful indoors. You get 24 hours of storage free so if you see something you need to recall, you can just share the recording to your photo gallery and save it there indefinitely. I have 19 Logitech Circle 2’s and all are on the free plan. Getting by just fine. I have the 2 TB iCloud storage from Apple anyway but refuse to move to Secure videos. Sounds like you lose out on features I use a lot. Day brief being one of them.

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Asking a wayyyyyy oversimplified question here.....At this point is the free option through Logitech better than the paid storage option through Apple?

It depends. I can see why some people will say no, but it's still better for me than the free option through Logitech.

- I never use Day Brief, anyway.
- Way too many false positives with Logitech notifications. I only want to know when a person or vehicle is detected. You didn't get that with free option with Logitech. HSV is working well for this for me so far.
- Logitech made the motion detector useless in HSV mode by switching from PIR to video motion. If this was important to me, I'd have bailed on HSV mode with the Circle 2. Instead, I moved the Circle2 to another place and put in a different camera with motion sensor that works fine. I have to wait for HSV for this other camera, though.

So now I get better notifications than I had with no real downside.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
The free option is not a bad deal especially for an indoor camera since the only thing you’ll miss is motion zones and I can’t imagine Motion zone will be something useful indoors. You get 24 hours of storage free so if you see something you need to recall, you can just share the recording to your photo gallery and save it there indefinitely. I have 19 Logitech Circle 2’s and all are on the free plan. Getting by just fine. I have the 2 TB iCloud storage from Apple anyway but refuse to move to Secure videos. Sounds like you lose out on features I use a lot. Day brief being one of them.
I’m very new to this so forgive me if this is a dumb one, but can I view the camera through the Home app streaming only and simultaneously rely on the Logi app for recording?

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I’m very new to this so forgive me if this is a dumb one, but can I view the camera through the Home app streaming only and simultaneously rely on the Logi app for recording?

No. Once the camera is converted to HomeKit Secure Video it’s no longer available at all in the Logitech app.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London

Better at least in the sense that first few seconds of the movement are recorded properly.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Like StumpyBloke said, if you convert to HSV, it’s not possible but if you rely on Logitech to handle the recordings, then yes, that is possible and it’s how I currently use mine.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Like StumpyBloke said, if you convert to HSV, it’s not possible but if you rely on Logitech to handle the recordings, then yes, that is possible and it’s how I currently use mine.
Maybe I phrased that a little weird. What I meant was using the Home app strictly for viewing/streaming and no recording. Then still having access to the Logitech app where I could still view it but also have the recording turned on. So that is possible?

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Maybe I phrased that a little weird. What I meant was using the Home app strictly for viewing/streaming and no recording. Then still having access to the Logitech app where I could still view it but also have the recording turned on. So that is possible?

Not if HomeKit Secure Video is enabled for the particular camera. You can only do what you want if you do not upgrade the camera to HSV.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Worked my issues with the Circle 2 wired never being seen by either Home or the Circle app with Logitech. They will be replacing my Circle 2 when it comes back into stock.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Worked my issues with the Circle 2 wired never being seen by either Home or the Circle app with Logitech. They will be replacing my Circle 2 when it comes back into stock.
What was wrong with it? Hardware related?
Out of stock? Damn, they must’ve made a killing when HSV was released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.