Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x34

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2014
i got it running via my mac and a mac app called airfoil. not a beautiful solution but for a fews times a year i am listening to vinyl it's okay.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I have a raspberry pi that runs a 24/7 icecast stream of any audio that comes out of my turntable. I can then airplay or cast it anywhere I want.

georgt

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2015
London
No, simply because the AirPort express has no audio inputs, only outputs.

The solution I suggested doesn’t involve adding a whole computer in the mix. It does add about 400,- to the cost though.
[doublepost=1567295389][/doublepost]Older airport expresses have analog/optical 3.5 mm Jack Input.
Don’t know about later models.

unclewaltr

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2019
I really like the HomePod and just assumed there would be a way to hook up my record player to it once I had my hands on it. Alas it wasn't super straightforward. I first thought I'd create a standalone piece of hardware to take the audio output and pipe it over to the HomePod, but it's so much easier if you just use an iOS device. So I wrote a VERY SMALL app "Air-o-graph" for myself and got a small bit of hardware and it works like a charm. Here's the demo of it:
I think you can get cheaper parts instead of the ones I used. This looks like it might do the trick for the channel combiner: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OAW85ZG

I put the app on the app store for free. I don't really add anything to it, but if it doesn't work for you then let me know and I can sort out any bugs.

tvstimmyg

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2010
Saint Paul, MN
Question:

Would it be possible to set up a broadcast stream on a Mac, broadcast that stream, open said stream in the new Music app, and then airplay it (in stereo) to a paired set of HomePods?

I’m thinking turntable > Griffin iMic > Audio Hijack > Mystery Stream Protocol > Music/iTunes > Airplay 2.

devilsnj30

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
I really like the HomePod and just assumed there would be a way to hook up my record player to it once I had my hands on it. Alas it wasn't super straightforward. I first thought I'd create a standalone piece of hardware to take the audio output and pipe it over to the HomePod, but it's so much easier if you just use an iOS device. So I wrote a VERY SMALL app "Air-o-graph" for myself and got a small bit of hardware and it works like a charm. Here's the demo of it:
I think you can get cheaper parts instead of the ones I used. This looks like it might do the trick for the channel combiner: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OAW85ZG

I put the app on the app store for free. I don't really add anything to it, but if it doesn't work for you then let me know and I can sort out any bugs.

I was using Babelpod but it’s not working with the Sonos speakers in my environment. How difficult would it be to write this so you could connect Bluetooth and use that as the audio source to Airplay? If you published again and charged I’d be willing to pay a couple dollars.

unclewaltr

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2019
I was using Babelpod but it’s not working with the Sonos speakers in my environment. How difficult would it be to write this so you could connect Bluetooth and use that as the audio source to Airplay? If you published again and charged I’d be willing to pay a couple dollars.
Conceptually, it shouldn't be hard. I'll have a play and get back.

devilsnj30

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Conceptually, it shouldn't be hard. I'll have a play and get back.
Thank you! I’m using a Raspberry Pi for my PreAmp. Babelpod used to handle it all for me but now it just keeps adding duplicate airplay destinations everytime it refreshes so it’s not a good solution anymore.

Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Yeah, all 10 people.
Make that 11-12. :D

Just because i have digital music streaming, doesn't mean that vinyl doesn't exist.

I think there's maybe an untapped market for a generic audio-in to airplay adapter that can be used to stream generic audio to one or more airplay targets. using a mac seems like overkill...

lorddiagram

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2021
I came across this page in googling for a solution and thought I would post a solution that is working for me.

I already owned a ART USB Phono Plus Phono Preamp & Audio Interface ($99).

I wanted to be able to play my turntable through my Roku wireless 5.1 audio setup. (Both the turntable and my wireless home theater setup are in my office/home theater.)

A solution I just tried is to hook the ART USB preamp to my macbook. I open Garageband, choose the USB pre as the input, and Airplay as the output, and it works.

If there is a utility other than Garagband to accomplish this "audio pass-through" that would be even better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.