Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
I just look at it as a great sounding dumb speaker. Siri will always be an idiot as long as their leadership is driven by one at the top, so everything flows down from there.

Great sounding? Nah, I disagree, it's hands down the best sounding smart/dumb speaker available. So what that it isn't as intelligent as Alexa or Google, when you sound as good as it does, nothing else matters. Just my 2 cents

Reactions: gwhizkids

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
I just got a new HomePod yesterday and I think it sounds great! I had been using a Bose so that I didn't have to have my TV on to play apple music via the surround sound... Decided to take advantage of the BB sale and with limited time I'm happy! It definitely sounds way better than the rechargeable Bose (which I didn't mind the sound on that at all either).

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I finally got around to putting the HomePod in a small room today (approximately 10x12'). Now I see why people were skeptical when I said there is no bass. In the small room, there is too MUCH bass. Also, after trying it in a larger room for talk radio/comedy, I noticed it is too bass heavy. For music in a large room, the bass is still way too low.

I was thinking about adding another 1 or 2 HomePods to the larger room and see if it sounds better. I just hate going down the path of spending that much when there are much better audio systems in that price range. Being able to directly tell Siri to play something is nice, but I don't know if it is worth that much.

I honestly don't know what to say about the HomePod. The audio quality is bad in both small and large rooms for different reasons. I get wanting to make it plug and play, but that just isn't practical for an audio device since we don't all listen to the same music nor listen to the same music all the time. A simple EQ for the HomePod would solve these problems. I'm not sure why they are not allowing any adjustments.

Edit: I found there is a way to adjust the EQ if playing from a device (https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-adjust-eq-on-homepod/), but can't find anything for playing directly from the HomePod. If I have to do it through the device, then I might as well just get better speakers for the same price and AirPlay to them. Frustrating!

The HomePod uses its microphones to hear the rooms acoustics to equalize its levels for each speaker individually. The results are impressively flat (equalized) for what it is. The first thing I noticed about the HomePod is how it doesn't have a hot spot near the speaker and the sound carries evenly throughout the room.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40530628/apple-homepod-frequency-response-flat-sound

Again it's an omnidirectional speaker, you would need to eq it in a studio to avoid nearly all sound reflection and then tweak it to room its placed in for the least amount of compromises based on a generic listening position since its not directional. Listening position, speaker direction and room acoustics are the fundamentals before even starting to equalize a speakers frequencies which are virtually impossible for the HP so there isn't a "simple EQ" method.

I get that you (or anyone) would want to alter the levels for your particular preferences but like shown above you're more than likely "un"equalizing it (again I'm not against preferences its yours make it how you want). For example, if your HomePod is near a wall the HomePod will lower the higher frequencies going toward the wall side because higher frequencies reflect better. However the tweeters aimed away from the wall won't have the high frequencies reduced to equalize them. If you increase the highs manually you are going to make a hot spot between the HomePod and the wall.

Many other wifi speakers on the market can be equalized by the user much easier without hurting other aspects of the sound as much simply because they are directional and you'll have a narrower listening position. If you are looking for a specific experience that is outside of what the HomePod is offering I would just look into them. I think you would like some of the Sonos products because you can equalize from the app and then tweak according to your preferences. I sold most of mine but I have a 2 Play 5's when I want to rock the house.

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2015
The HomePod uses its microphones to hear the rooms acoustics to equalize its levels for each speaker individually. The results are impressively flat (equalized) for what it is. The first thing I noticed about the HomePod is how it doesn't have a hot spot near the speaker and the sound carries evenly throughout the room.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40530628/apple-homepod-frequency-response-flat-sound

Again it's an omnidirectional speaker, you would need to eq it in a studio to avoid nearly all sound reflection and then tweak it to room its placed in for the least amount of compromises based on a generic listening position since its not directional. Listening position, speaker direction and room acoustics are the fundamentals before even starting to equalize a speakers frequencies which are virtually impossible for the HP so there isn't a "simple EQ" method.

I get that you (or anyone) would want to alter the levels for your particular preferences but like shown above you're more than likely "un"equalizing it (again I'm not against preferences its yours make it how you want). For example, if your HomePod is near a wall the HomePod will lower the higher frequencies going toward the wall side because higher frequencies reflect better. However the tweeters aimed away from the wall won't have the high frequencies reduced to equalize them. If you increase the highs manually you are going to make a hot spot between the HomePod and the wall.

Many other wifi speakers on the market can be equalized by the user much easier without hurting other aspects of the sound as much simply because they are directional and you'll have a narrower listening position. If you are looking for a specific experience that is outside of what the HomePod is offering I would just look into them. I think you would like some of the Sonos products because you can equalize from the app and then tweak according to your preferences. I sold most of mine but I have a 2 Play 5's when I want to rock the house.
I may give the Sonos a try soon.

Reactions: cynics

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
I was pointing out that it was replacing Bose, because Bose is not known for high quality audio. For decades people have known Bose is missing a lot of highs and lows. They continue to sell I guess for the same reason that the HomePod might - marketing.

The HomePod is definitely missing a lot of lows. It would be nice if there was an eq to adjust. Or, would be nice if you could plug in a small subwoofer.

I think you made an important point that it is universally lauded for being the best sounding smart speaker. I went and listened to an Alexa play music and it is awful. I guess my expectations were a lot higher, because I was expecting quality above of the “smart speaker” offerings. You are right, it is the best sounding one, but it still leaves a lot to be desired.

I might just move it to a smaller room and use it there. The room that it is in is approximately 30x15’.
I agree. I just got my first HomePod and I really like it. But it’s nothing revolutionary in sound. A set of $300 speakers and a Cheap receiver will blow 2 homepods away sound wise. The best thing HomePod offers is the Apple ecosystem. Apple Music works perfect with it. Super convenient. Biggest wish is a little more volume and punch.

I’d rate HomePod as

Convenience-10

Sound-7 (lacks the punch of a dedicated speaker ).

appearance- 10 (typical Apple)
[automerge]1576177782[/automerge]
You can’t from the device only when it’s coming from another source. But I have 18 HomePods littered across my house now. Granted this requires an incredibly robust WiFi mesh system which I have all on a wired backhaul. Having said that some have been gifts, others were gotten but gift cards and rewards, and then bought on sale for $150-200 each. I think this unit is worth it obviously, but also think Appl e has greatly squandered opportunity in making it great. Tim Cook could make so many products of their ms great but doesn’t. And the HomePod is sadly a afterthought for Apppe given the recent bricking event with 13.2 being pulled for bricking every HomePod updated and reset to factory defaults.

In my mind it’s akin to when they first put Apple TV on an arm processor. It was the first iteration of what is now gaining traction. They just think it’s a hobby.
You bought 9 more HomePods. You were furious when you bricked them. Thought you were done with HomePods
[automerge]1576177833[/automerge]
I was thinking of a pair of Sonos for the living room

Reactions: rjp1

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

While I dont think you'll regret Sonos I think the OP should be re evaluated.

Sound quality was your issue. While Sonos might be better for you (especially the Play 5 if volume isn't a concern) we are tap dancing around the sound quality issue. A good receiver + good floor standing speakers if set up correctly will result in a higher audio fidelity then any wifi speaker.

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2015
While I dont think you'll regret Sonos I think the OP should be re evaluated.

Sound quality was your issue. While Sonos might be better for you (especially the Play 5 if volume isn't a concern) we are tap dancing around the sound quality issue. A good receiver + good floor standing speakers if set up correctly will result in a higher audio fidelity then any wifi speaker.
If I lived alone, then I'd go that route.

My family has gotten used to the HomePod and likes using it. They like just asking Siri to play something. They care less about sound quality than I do. So I don't know, I may just be stuck with it at this point :D

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I know I'm late to the discussion but I just replaced an airport+receiver+Bose301 (Speaker A)+Boston A60 (Speaker B) setup in our main living space with four HomePods. The reasoning was to eliminate a lot of wires, my aging A60s, and free up some space. The driving force was the $199 price.

Did I lose some fidelity? Yes. But I'm not disappointed. I found the bass output of the HomePod depends on several factors, not the least of which is the surface they're placed on. Put them on top of a hollow cabinet and the bass isn't clean. Put them on a stone surface and the bass improves significantly. So I recommend playing with placement on various furnishings to get a balance that's pleasing.

What I noticed the most, though, was how they are a lot more reflective - meaning you can actually run them at a decent volume and still hold a conversation. The directional nature of the speakers they replaced meant that conversation was more difficult, especially if you were seated close to one.

I still have a space in the house with the amp+speaker setup where I can crank it up with some punch if I want to, but for social living areas in the home where just you want to gently fill an entire space with music, I really like the HomePods. Stereo pairing makes a big difference too IMHO.

Nütztjanix

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2019
Germany
I think part of the "problem" might be that some folks are confusing "sound quality" with loudness or bass levels.
Good sound quality is trying to play back the input without altering it in any way. So if the one who made a certain track (or produced it) didn't want it to have a strong bass, no speaker should increase the bass level on its own without being explicitly told to do so.
Sadly, a lot of cheap gear has the bass level cranked way up because somehow everyone seems to think "it sounds better". So a lot of people don't even now how a specific track was intended to sound and think the good speaker who doesn't change anything on its own sounds bad.

Reactions: newellj

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I agree. I just got my first HomePod and I really like it. But it’s nothing revolutionary in sound. A set of $300 speakers and a Cheap receiver will blow 2 homepods away sound wise. The best thing HomePod offers is the Apple ecosystem. Apple Music works perfect with it. Super convenient. Biggest wish is a little more volume and punch.

I’d rate HomePod as

Convenience-10

Sound-7 (lacks the punch of a dedicated speaker ).

appearance- 10 (typical Apple)...
I got my first homepod and had a devil of a time setting it up with "recognize my voice", must have tried at least 15 times and don't know why it was seemingly so difficult. Having said that, I'm going to get some more of these things.

I find it amusing the comparisons being made against system where there is an amp/pre-amp and dedicated speakers. The comparison is to a unit the size of the homepod without a dedicated amp/pre-amp.

The sound quality observations of the homepod is similar to the "three blind men describing an elephant", with no malice towards blind people or pachyderms. It's a YMMV situation, but the homepod to me, has a balanced quality.

As far as volume and punch I guess it depends if you are listening to the homepod in a room the size of the shoebox or ampitheater. Because there are many variables that go into the sound perception of the homepod.

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
I got my first homepod and had a devil of a time setting it up with "recognize my voice", must have tried at least 15 times and don't know why it was seemingly so difficult. Having said that, I'm going to get some more of these things.

I find it amusing the comparisons being made against system where there is an amp/pre-amp and dedicated speakers. The comparison is to a unit the size of the homepod without a dedicated amp/pre-amp.

The sound quality observations of the homepod is similar to the "three blind men describing an elephant", with no malice towards blind people or pachyderms. It's a YMMV situation, but the homepod to me, has a balanced quality.

As far as volume and punch I guess it depends if you are listening to the homepod in a room the size of the shoebox or ampitheater. Because there are many variables that go into the sound perception of the homepod.
The comparison come from many people here that say it sounds as good as a dedicated pair of inexpensive speakers. it’s not even close a $100 stereo receive and a $150 speakers will crush a HomePod

The HomePod is all about convenience in the Apple ecosystem.

I plan on getting another 1 or 2 As the convenience is what I’m looking for. More speakers should improve the volume and punch.

There’s no reason to defend the HomePod. It is what it is. A nice wireless speaker. With some smart features. Nothing more

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The comparison come from many people here that say it sounds as good as a dedicated pair of inexpensive speakers. it’s not even close a $100 stereo receive and a $150 speakers will crush a HomePod

The HomePod is all about convenience in the Apple ecosystem.

I plan on getting another 1 or 2 As the convenience is what I’m looking for. More speakers should improve the volume and punch.

There’s no reason to defend the HomePod. It is what it is. A nice wireless speaker. With some smart features. Nothing more
Nobody is “defending “ HomePod. Many would disagree with your assessment, that’s all. Many would agree. It’s a ymmv situation.

But I do agree it’s convenient.

Reactions: V_Man

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
What audiophile speaker can you get for $200-$300? Referring to speakers, wireless or wired?
Where did I say you can get a pair of audiophile speakers for $200-300.

$300 can get you a pair of quality bookshelves speakers pair them with a $100 receiver and it will sound much better than a pair of HomePods. Much more dynamic range, much more volume possible, better stereo image.

look I’m not bashing the HomePod. I own one and will be getting a 2nd. But they can’t compete with a pair of speakers and a external amp

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Where did I say you can get a pair of audiophile speakers for $200-300.
You didn't. You said this.

It’s sound quality is pretty good for a wireless speaker. It’s not an audiophile speaker. Not even close

Why is this being compared to an audiophile speaker? Did apple themselves say, it was an audiophile speaker? And hence the question, what audiophile speaker is available in this price range.

$300 can get you a pair of quality bookshelves speakers pair them with a $100 receiver and it will sound much better than a pair of HomePods. Much more dynamic range, much more volume possible, better stereo image.
Which receiver and which bookshelf speakers?

look I’m not bashing the HomePod. I own one and will be getting a 2nd. But they can’t compete with a pair of speakers and a external amp
It's not about "bashing", it's about opinions as to the performance. And hence why I asked for what you had in mind about speakers and amp for $300 and how one is going to play music other than from FM, actually $200, because that is what I paid for my homepod at BB.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Nütztjanix

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2019
Germany
[…] $300 can get you a pair of quality bookshelves speakers pair them with a $100 receiver and it will sound much better than a pair of HomePods. Much more dynamic range, much more volume possible, better stereo image.[…]

I really don’t want to nitpick, but in #36 it was a set of $150 speakers that would „crush“ the HomePod. Now it’s $300 …
That’s moving goalposts.

Reactions: V_Man and I7guy

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
I really don’t want to nitpick, but in #36 it was a set of $150 speakers that would „crush“ the HomePod. Now it’s $300 …
That’s moving goalposts.
True. My mistake. Point still stands. Give me $250 and I’ll come back with a amp and speakers that sounds better than the HomePod. Give me $500 and you can crush 2 HomePods. HomePod can only move so much air. It’s small.
[automerge]1577486816[/automerge]

Why is this being compared to an audiophile speaker? Did apple themselves say, it was an audiophile speaker? And hence the question, what audiophile speaker is available in this price range.

It's not about "bashing", it's about opinions as to the performance. And hence why I asked for what you had in mind about speakers and amp for $300 and how one is going to play music other than from FM, actually $200, because that is what I paid for my homepod at BB.
I will get back to you soon. Busy now.

Reactions: Nütztjanix

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013

Point taken about the audiophile stuff. Apple never used the word audiophile.

great basic speaker. Cheap.

nice receiver. Basic but provides clean power. Use your phone as your source music etc. The convenience factor appears again. A HomePod strength. It’s an above average wireless speaker for sure.

I agree. $200 for the HomePod is a great deal. I would love to have 3-4 scattered around the place.

Last edited:
Reactions: I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.