Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
In the past two weeks, I’ve seen a number of strange issues with my HomePods and the Home app.

The Home app shows a red “!” next to one HomePod and tells me I need to re-enter my Apple password. I have done this over and over again. I decided to reset my HomePod hoping it will finally fix it.

Siri through the HomePod is also acting odd. She’ll say she can’t play music or that it’s not available. She also won’t read my wife’s text messages despite the Home app saying she’s recognized and that she’s enabled personal requests.

I’m also having issues connecting music or podcasts to the HomePods from my iPhone. It’s just a constant progress wheel, and then when the music is playing, I can’t use my phone as a controller.

I know I heard on Connected that others were experiencing issues with the red “!” in the Home app, but I’m wondering if others are experiencing the other issues above. I’m running the latest software for iPhone and for Home. What a freaking mess this year. Everything Apple thing I own has been having issues.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
Siri through the HomePod is also acting odd. She’ll say she can’t play music or that it’s not available. She also won’t read my wife’s text messages despite the Home app saying she’s recognized and that she’s enabled personal requests.

I’m also having issues connecting music or podcasts to the HomePods from my iPhone. It’s just a constant progress wheel, and then when the music is playing, I can’t use my phone as a controller.
I’m still experiencing the following issues. Am I the only one here? I really regret buying two of these speakers. At first I thought they were good for playing music, although I knew Siri has limited, but now they don’t even perform the most basic of tasks. How is this acceptable from any company, let alone Apple?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I’m still experiencing the following issues. Am I the only one here? I really regret buying two of these speakers. At first I thought they were good for playing music, although I knew Siri has limited, but now they don’t even perform the most basic of tasks. How is this acceptable from any company, let alone Apple?

Other people have been having similar issues very recently however I'm not affected and my experience is probably more along the lines of what you were expecting when you purchased the HomePods.

What is this red "I"? Do you mean on the HomePod indicating its not on the same network as your admin device (iPhone)? Are you experiencing that? That can definitely cause issues.

One of the most important things to do if you run into HomePod and other HomeKit/AirPlay issues is to power cycle all the devices and most importantly the modem and router. A router can appear to be working fine but there are subsystems running that aren't so obvious to notice problems with. Apple is using these systems and services like Bonjour and their HomeKit protocol on other network stacks to make these things works. You typically wouldn't notice an obvious problem because your internet works however the router is doing a lot more than that.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
Other people have been having similar issues very recently however I'm not affected and my experience is probably more along the lines of what you were expecting when you purchased the HomePods.

What is this red "I"? Do you mean on the HomePod indicating its not on the same network as your admin device (iPhone)? Are you experiencing that? That can definitely cause issues.

One of the most important things to do if you run into HomePod and other HomeKit/AirPlay issues is to power cycle all the devices and most importantly the modem and router. A router can appear to be working fine but there are subsystems running that aren't so obvious to notice problems with. Apple is using these systems and services like Bonjour and their HomeKit protocol on other network stacks to make these things works. You typically wouldn't notice an obvious problem because your internet works however the router is doing a lot more than that.
I’m no longer experiencing the red ! issue after resetting the HomePod. Basically, the Home app displayed a red ! next to the HomePod and would constantly ask me to sign in with my Apple ID and password. After resetting the HomePod, that issue has been fixed. The other issues I’ve been having are not resolved. The HomePod won’t play music when I ask it to. It also won’t respond to certain personal requests. I’m considering selling them because I’m tired of waiting for HomePod software releases to fix issues. Enough is enough. I have an eero router system that I’m pretty confident in, but I’ll try to reset it.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I’m no longer experiencing the red ! issue after resetting the HomePod. Basically, the Home app displayed a red ! next to the HomePod and would constantly ask me to sign in with my Apple ID and password. After resetting the HomePod, that issue has been fixed. The other issues I’ve been having are not resolved. The HomePod won’t play music when I ask it to. It also won’t respond to certain personal requests. I’m considering selling them because I’m tired of waiting for HomePod software releases to fix issues. Enough is enough. I have an eero router system that I’m pretty confident in, but I’ll try to reset it.

Have you called Apple? Not playing music, not signing into your AppleID and not doing personal request could be iCloud related too. Signing out and back in forces their servers to clean up and reset certain things. I understand its a pita but if it is iCloud related getting rid of the HomePods is just treating the symptoms.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
Have you called Apple? Not playing music, not signing into your AppleID and not doing personal request could be iCloud related too. Signing out and back in forces their servers to clean up and reset certain things. I understand its a pita but if it is iCloud related getting rid of the HomePods is just treating the symptoms.
I should call Apple, and I definitely will, but I’m just so frustrated with the software issues this year, which is why I was suggesting just selling them. But I’m call Apple and see if it can be resolved.

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
Do you have more than 1 wifi network? I've seen a few instances where my Homepod will act up and I've come to realize sometimes it will connect to the router upstairs instead of the one downstairs. So when my phone and HomePod aren't on the same network I'll see the red "!" among other minor playback issues.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
I have two Eero routers (1 hub, 1 beacon) but they're on the same network. I have a guest network but the HomePods aren't aligned to that. Just the one wifi network. Strangly, the ! issue has gone away. But the two other issues are still impacting me - won’t play music when I ask it to, and won’t respond to certain personal requests.

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
If you've ever connected to the guest network with your iPhone, that allows the HomePod to connect to it. Essentially it will choose the best network at the time. You can force it to connect elsewhere via the Settings in the Home app.
Also, for Apple Music you cannot have more than one concurrent stream unless you have a Family Plan. As for personal requests I'm not sure what the problem might be other than it's not recognizing your voice and you may need to retrain Siri on your phone.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
If you've ever connected to the guest network with your iPhone, that allows the HomePod to connect to it. Essentially it will choose the best network at the time. You can force it to connect elsewhere via the Settings in the Home app.
Also, for Apple Music you cannot have more than one concurrent stream unless you have a Family Plan. As for personal requests I'm not sure what the problem might be other than it's not recognizing your voice and you may need to retrain Siri on your phone.
I've never connected to the guest network with my iPhone. It's an entirely different password, only used for guests.

I removed and completely restarted the bedroom HomePod. It seems to be working, at least for now. I'll see how long this lasts.

Reactions: chino-rican
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.